Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Okay, seeing all the pics and threads on Wyoming antelope have made me want to do it too. I'm looking at getting a family group of 4 or 5 hunters from SE Kentucky. So here's my question: None of us have any preference points, and don't really want to pay for a premium draw tag. So I'm thinking about trying to the over-the-counter tags next year. We don't care if its a buck or doe. We want to use firearms. Normally are there any tags available that offer plenty of public land and a good shot at finding some decent animals? Is this a bad idea?

NRA Benefactor Member
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From what I understand, all the leftover tags sold with in the first fews minutes they hit the web. I guess what I'm saying, is I wouldn't count on it.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I'm looking for next year, so I can grab some tags the minute they become available. But even now, there are still some tags available. I just don't know anything about Wyoming, antelope, the process, access, and so on. I'm planning on doing a lot of research over the next few months, if there a good reason to. If its pretty easy to snag up some left over tags, find some public land, or free access land, have a good time and bring back some meat, then I going to work on it. If left-over tags are a waste of time, then I won't.

NRA Benefactor Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just look at draw statistics and apply for a high-percentage doe/fawn tag. Not too hard to draw with no points in a lot of areas.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always buy the doe/fawn tags. I forget what they call em, but I think it's a "reduced price" or something like that, I usually buy them in june/july IIRC.

check out wyomings website, they can offer a lot. they also have maps showing the areas with lots of public or walk in areas. what you're looking to do can easily be done. good luck! make sure everyone in your party puts in for either a preference point or a buck tag. you'll be hooked and WILL come back.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

C
C
I just moved to Colorado and as a first time out of state hunter I was told to hunt in Wyoming and applied for two doe/fawn tags for $34 ea. I had a friend who hunted unit 38 on private land last year and we went back. By the way, Wyoming Game n Fish we very helpful in the process. The first weekend I went the wind blew at a steady at 30+ mph and missed two does at 250 and 240 yds. with my A-Bolt 270. After beating myself up I talked to my hunter neighbor and he gave me some tips. Use a bi-pod, he loaned me his Harris 9-13, and to get prone. Guess what, the next weekend two shots two dead on kills at 180 and 187 yds. First time eating lop and it's very good, but it helps that the lop have been eating on an alfalfa field. Hung out in Wheatland for meals and the people there are great. I love the west but coming from South Florida anything is better. Good luck and have a blast. [Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by Coyote82; 10/25/12.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll have to brush up a little bit on Wyoming's draw and license information. I'm definitely going to get the group to start accumulating points. I'm sure I will have a ton more of questions to ask between now and hunting time next year.

NRA Benefactor Member
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Coyote82
I love the west but coming from South Florida anything is better.
I've traveled over most of the US. I've even moved around some for a year or so, but never to to the west. I've always thought I might would like to move to Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Northern Nevada, but I don't know if I would really like living any other place than in the south. Winters here are mild, sometimes non-existent. The culture is like no other that I've found. What got you to Colorado?

NRA Benefactor Member
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't know if it's too late to buy a "preference point" - did that for Wyoming deer last year when I couldn't make the trip so entered the draw with a single preference point. That worked out fine.

Tagged a mule deer buck and a pronghorn too this year. My first ever pronghorn. Didn't have any points built up for the pronghorn and only one for the deer.

There are areas of Wyoming that offer better draw odds, but be careful, some of those with excellent draw odds are mostly private land and access can be an issue.

Best of luck, I think your family will have fun with the pronghorn hunt!

Guy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GuyM
I don't know if it's too late to buy a "preference point" -
Guy

Purchase period ended Sept 30

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
5 years ago or so 4 of us headed to Wyoming for the first time. We misread how we were filling out our application and ended up with Buck tags in one unit on the east and doe tags on a unit in the central part of the state. Ended up working out ok, we got to hunt in two different areas. We hunted only public accessible ground, but some of that was private ground the state had leased. 2 of us got our bucks, a decent one and a small one. All 4 of us got both our does in just a couple days of hunting. It was great fun, I'm thinking hard about doing it this coming year rather than elk hunting which is a lot of work compared to antelope hunting.

C
C
Both my kids and two grand-kids live here in Denver. I also always wanted to move here and in fact had a job here in 1981 but couldn't put the trigger. "Movefever" Denver area is no problem and starting my first full winter but this will not be a problem. Why is that? I'm retired and if the snow or winter is bad I stay home, unless I'm going hunting. People are great and compared to FL the traffic is not bad. NOREGRETS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One suggestion for anyone planning an antelope hunt in Wyoming next fall. When you figure out which area you would like to hunt in contact the G&F warden or bioligist the area. EHD went through the herds this past year coupled with the drought and what could be a harsh winter impacted the herd numbers.

Where I have historically seen hundreds of antelope they were scarce this year.

N
N
Just put in for the reduced price doe/fawn tags in the area you want to hunt. It should not be a problem to draw them at all. Also put in as a group draw. That way you all get your tags or you all don't.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
There are still over the counter tags available in the areas around Gillette, stay south of Gillette if possible. There is not that much public land available though.

There is a landowner list published by the game and fish that will give you all the landowners contact informationa and the hunt area that their property is in. You can call them and likely secure a place to hunt does for little fee. I have heard that many will accept a $100 tresspass fee for a buck, with free does. I have not done this myself though.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Most of the areas around Gillete have some public land where you could find a goat or 2 but when you are going with 5 guys, it's better to have bigger chunks of public or private access.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by garyh9900
I'm looking for next year, so I can grab some tags the minute they become available. But even now, there are still some tags available. I just don't know anything about Wyoming, antelope, the process, access, and so on. I'm planning on doing a lot of research over the next few months, if there a good reason to. If its pretty easy to snag up some left over tags, find some public land, or free access land, have a good time and bring back some meat, then I going to work on it. If left-over tags are a waste of time, then I won't.

When you look at the available license list you'll notice and asterik on some areas. That asterick means difficult access mostly private ground. From there you want to go look at the walkin area map and the HMA's and see what's is available for easier access in the area's where permits are available.
Left over tags are a waste of time in some places, but an easy way to go on a hunt without tying up license fees for 6 months before you even find out if you drew a license.
Look at the lists, and follow Eh's suggestion to the letter, you'll likely have a good time and enjoyable experience.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eh76
One suggestion for anyone planning an antelope hunt in Wyoming next fall. When you figure out which area you would like to hunt in contact the G&F warden or bioligist the area. EHD went through the herds this past year coupled with the drought and what could be a harsh winter impacted the herd numbers.

Where I have historically seen hundreds of antelope they were scarce this year.

I followed this advice for 2012 and it proved helpful.

Eric

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for all the advice. I'm hoping this all works out and we have a good time. If you all come up with anything else just let me know. You can never plan enough.

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would rather see you have a fun and successful trip than to do like many and show up looking for a place to hunt or depending on a walk in area. The wardens and biologists can also give you names of landowners to contact.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 49 invisible), 2,137 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,336
Posts18,506,129
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.