Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It has been quite an experience. Great folks over there on the shotgunworld forum, lots of knowledge, like here on the Fire. I've learned a lot and enjoyed every minute.

DF

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The best, in my opinion, book on Buckingham is his autobiography "Mr. Buck". Its an interesting read and there is a chapter on Bo-Whoop describing its loss and it shows a photo of the newspaper ad that was run trying to find it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm still amazed how Bo Whoop could be AWOL for so long and suddenly be accounted for.

Someone needs to do some heavy duty explaining, IMHO.

DF

Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Dirtfarmer, any of this stuff you would be willing to share about the Askins, either the Major or the Col. I would love to read..both were very interesting men..The Major always seemed like a very kind human being..I think in one of my old books it says he also wrote childrens' books..In one of his old books he mentions a dog he trained for some wealthy owner..He had the dog had been inseprable from the time the dog was a puppy..I believe his name was Doc Hicks..anyway the owner ordered the Major to ship the dog to Washington, as the owner had sold him..The Major, who had been the dogs trainer, was pretty broken up over it..I felt the dog was also, for it seemed he did not live long.The Major said he never trained another dog..
The Col. on the other hand was a pretty tough customer..I have his Autobiography, and I also think there was a discussion of him on this site..The Col. killed something like 27 men..and seemed to enjoy it..But he sure was a darned interesting man..
A good friend of mine met the Col. several times..A gentleman who knew the Col. very well ask my pal how he liked the Col..He replied something like we got along well..He was told to remember the Col. is a very dangerous man..
I read several of Bill Askins articles in Gun World, but it seemed he dropped out of the writing game after a short time..

Seems that we're hijacking the OP's thread about Nash Buckingham and Bo Whoop, although this topic is somewhat related.

We can start a separate thread if he wishes.

Dirtfarmer - I started this thread just to jump start a very laggard shotgun/24CF section. Feel free to talk
about anything shotgun related. My main interest is getting an old SxS this year or next.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Hotload. Just didn't want to walk all over your post.

Has there been any explanation of how Bo Whoop was AWOL for so long? Someone had to know that possession of that gun wasn't Kosher.

DF

IC B2

Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The story I read said the gun had Nash Buckingham name on it.
So...YES...someone had to know the first time they picked the shotgun up.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
And all the anguish Mr. Buck went through after losing that gun, makes it even worse, IMHO.

They'll get a chance to explain all that in the hereafter, maybe to the man himself...

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was found by a worker driving a logging truck.It was later(years) given to the company owner,where it remained in his family for many years.It was stated that it was unusable in it's present condition,then restored by a grandson/nephew by a master of Fox shotguns,then auctioned off by James Julia Auctions for a LOT of money.All this was detailed at the auction,the family had no knowledge of Mr Buckingham in the beginning.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, that sounds a little better.

What did they do when they found out who the real owner was?

DF

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
bo whoop brought $175k IIRC........please do yourself a favor and read "De Shootinest Gent'man"...Dr. Chubby Andrews from Memphis hunted with him at the famous Beaver Dam club in Mississippi and wrote a book about it....Nash also wrote Tattered Coat, Hallowed Years, Blood Lines, Mark Right, Game Bag, and Ole Miss. His books are a delight indeed....

Last edited by AFTERUM; 10/25/12.
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If you are near Memphis, cross the river into Arkansas and go north about 10 miles to Wapanoca. It is a wildfowl refuge now but was a club in Mr. Nash's day. Limit was 50 mallards a day per gun IIRC.

Last edited by AFTERUM; 10/25/12.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Those were the days. Across the river on the Tennessee side and up stream is Reelfoot Lake, formed by the 1811 New Madrid earthquake. Witnesses said the Mississippi River ran backwards for a day, filling the gap caused by the quake.

Those were great hunting areas. Reelfoot was such a desired spot for hunting that when land owners tried to control the shoreline and hunting, a local "war" broke out. Authorities had to step in to put down the violence and the lake was subsequently declared public domain.

A few years ago, I was given an A. M. Bowles, hand made walnut duck call. Mr. Bowles was from Little Rock and was one of the top call makers before and after the war.

There were a lot of call makers during that era and duck hunting was a real big deal. I learned that this call is worth $1,200-$1,500. It's displayed in a shadow box in my office.

Quite a time in duck hunting history, to say the least.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
bo whoop brought $175k IIRC........please do yourself a favor and read "De Shootinest Gent'man"...Dr. Chubby Andrews from Memphis hunted with him at the famous Beaver Dam club in Mississippi and wrote a book about it....Nash also wrote Tattered Coat, Hallowed Years, Blood Lines, Mark Right, Game Bag, and Ole Miss. His books are a delight indeed....

As I recall, Bo Whoop was purchased by Dr. Andrew's son who donated it to the DU Museum.

Regarding the 50 bird limit, Nash was one of the first to realize that without restrictions the future of hunting would be bleak and helped begin the advocacy for limits.

Andrew
Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lovemy99

As I recall, Bo Whoop was purchased by Dr. Andrew's son who donated it to the DU Museum.

Regarding the 50 bird limit, Nash was one of the first to realize that without restrictions the future of hunting would be bleak and helped begin the advocacy for limits.

Drew - your recall is correct.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I posted an update on the Shotgunworld.com Forum, 1933 Superposed thread, linking to this site.

DF

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=124719&p=2689318#p2689318

C
C
Bo Whoop was bought by Hal B. Howard Jr., son of one of Nash Buckingham's best hunting buddies, Hal B. Howard Sr.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by lovemy99

Where is the DU Museum located?

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dirtfarmer,

I'm curious as to the barrel configuration in that great old Superposed. Are they a constant taper with no choke near the muzzle, like my old 1950's gun?

I'm glad you ended up with it and are doing justice to the gun. cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It came from Belgium, choked full and full and is so marked. The Browning gunsmiths in the US opened the chokes to the Major's specs. It's 45% lower, 50% upper. The Major liked open chokes for the desert quail he loved to hunt.

IMO, they are conventional chokes, measurements are .007" lower, .018" upper. Experimenting with various loads, I learned a lot. Some of the posters on the SGW forum are very experienced shotgunners and they taught me a lot. I learned that a light modified choke can have a dramatic response to the type load being shot, improved cylinder to a lesser degree.

Using #9 high powered loads, it shot a Skeet pattern. Using slightly larger shot at slower velocity, like 1,150 fps, I got a tighter pattern. Evidently this is a well observed phenominon, just wasn't known by me.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/25/12.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's a link to page 19 of the 1933 Superposed thread. It gives the info referred to above.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=124719&start=360

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1Longbow, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 16penny, 65 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.