Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Some of you may remember this thread from last October, regarding a recovered TBBC:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ophy_Bonded_Bear_Claw_recove#Post5744570

I used the gun to take another buck a couple of evenings ago, and was able to again recover the bullet. Deer was approximately 65-75 yards away, walking at a slight angle broadside. Bullet entered just forward of the front left shoulder, and was found behind the front right shoulder inside the cape. In fact, the bullet simply fell out of the cape as I was pulling the hide off. The buck dropped in his tracks, and the internal cavity was a mess. Once again, there was minimal shoulder damage, but the lungs and heart were pulverized.

Recovered weight was 122.1gr, indicating an 87% weight retention (140gr bullet). Load is a Federal Premium High Energy 140gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw fired from a 22" Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, with a chrono'd muzzle velocity of over 2950fps.

I have to admit, I am somewhat surprised that neither bullet has exited. Both deer were less than 200lbs, but its hard to argue with one-shot kills, especially when both animals dropped in their tracks.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interlock would do the same thing and is cheaper as it is a non premium. If I'm paying for a premium I want an exit wound (mono), especially on something like a deer. Heck the 150 CT Btip exited from my buddies 280 rem mountain rifle last year on a solid buck at 75 yards.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That is pretty fast for a 7mm-08. Are those handloads or factory?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If I am reading this and the related thread correctly, that makes at least two deer, shot at less than 100 yards where velocity was high(from a 280 Remington). Neither deer took a step after impact (DRT?),and the damage was extensive to the vitals, where it needed to be.

The bullet is a bonded core slug that generally expands to a wide frontal area,sheds no core material,penetrates well to the off side,where it is stopped by the rubbery hide due to the wide expansion (which also caused the damage to the vitals).

Having used a great many of these type of bullets,I bet that at longer range ,where the velocity had dropped off, the bullet likely would have exited..I have had this happen quite a few times at longer distances.

This is neither here nor there,as a blood trail of any type was not needed.

That same bullet would have worked as well on a an elk, a moose, a bear, or any other game animal in North America.The bullet is not lacking in performance in any way whatsoever.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Interlock would do the same thing and is cheaper as it is a non premium. If I'm paying for a premium I want an exit wound (mono), especially on something like a deer

Doubt they would be much cheaper. I bought the ammo from Midway several years ago when it was on clearance, and paid $13/box. I ended up ordering 10x boxes, but now I wish I had ordered 20.

Heck the 150 CT Btip exited from my buddies 280 rem mountain rifle last year on a solid buck at 75 yards.

I hunted with 140gr Ballistic Tips in the rifle for years, and killed quite a few deer with the bullet. The BT is a good bullet, but I have seen a few shed their jacket and separate.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
That is pretty fast for a 7mm-08. Are those handloads or factory?

Factory Federal Premium High Energy round in .280.

If I am reading this and the related thread correctly, that makes at least two deer, shot at less than 100 yards where velocity was high(from a 280 Remington). Neither deer took a step after impact (DRT?),and the damage was extensive to the vitals, where it needed to be.

That's correct. I've killed a few other deer with the same bullet, but these are the only two I have recovered. All have been one shot kills, and all have dropped in their tracks.

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
I've shot 2 elk with my 300 WSM using Fed Prem TBBC 180 gr. The most impressive was the medium-body bull that was shot through both shoulders and the bullet did the exact same thing yours did at the hide. He trotted about 50 yds. in front of me. He went about 4 yards. I also (more properly) shot a big cow just behind the shoulders. Same distance. She was trotting downhill, which got a little steeper right where I shot her. She went about 40 yds - most of which I attribute to gravity. The bullet completely passed through her, with a small piece of the jacket inside the hide at the exit.

Last edited by UncleBigGreen; 10/25/12.

Human rights don't have expiration dates.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TBBC are a helluva fine bullet. A feller can't go wrong here. Kill, eat, and enjoy this short huntin' season boys!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jason,
Well done! Lets see pics of the buck too!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by gunnut308
TBBC are a helluva fine bullet. A feller can't go wrong here. Kill, eat, and enjoy this short huntin' season boys!

+1 one of the better hunting bullets!

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Not sure why everyone is so caught up with a bullet exiting. I have found a lot of bullets under the hide on the far side over the years. Obviously all were dead.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The only thing I could think of 2 holes for is tracking. But no need when they're DRT.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
The only thing I could think of 2 holes for is tracking. But no need when they're DRT.

True enough...and that type bullet provides lots of DRT's IME.Besides,blood trails can come from these bullets as well;entrance holes leak and blood blows from mouth and nostrils with chest hits.

Sometimes blood does not flow from a wound until the animals has moved quite a distance,which didn't happen with the OP's deer.

That's a great factory load for the 280 Rem.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
That's certainly "text book" mushroom. Nice and uniform with lots of retained weight!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
PA: Looks just like some 140 Bitterroots I have dug outta stuff...those I found that is... smile

TBBC is a good bullet for killing things.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Looks like it worked just fine.

The only TBBC I've used was out of a 24" .223 AR. 55 grain in the discontinued Federal LE ammo & it worked just fine on a nice sized Whitetail doe a few years back. No exit, but went through a good bit of well blended vitals & meat (24", or so) at an angle & a nice mushroom lodged up in the neck. Pretty good retention, didn't weigh it though. 30 yard dash & crash.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Here's a pic of the deer I have from one of my trail cams. Funny thing is, I I was no where near the camera when I shot the animal. I'll have to add a few of the deer actually on the ground once I can pull them off my phone...

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Interesting character. Is it only 2 times on the one side? Pretty cool buck!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunnut308

Sums it up nicely

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

The bullet is a bonded core slug that generally expands to a wide frontal area,sheds no core material,penetrates well to the off side,where it is stopped by the rubbery hide due to the wide expansion (which also caused the damage to the vitals).

+1!

Having used a great many of these type of bullets,I bet that at longer range ,where the velocity had dropped off, the bullet likely would have exited..I have had this happen quite a few times at longer distances.

This is neither here nor there,as a blood trail of any type was not needed.

That same bullet would have worked as well on a an elk, a moose, a bear, or any other game animal in North America.The bullet is not lacking in performance in any way whatsoever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (35, 338reddog, Akhutr, 01Foreman400, 10 invisible), 1,417 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,875
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.