Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#7010282 10/26/12
C
OP Offline
C
I really hate to ask this one,but here goes. I have a late 70s remington BDL varmint in .223 with a 1 in 12" twist. I am some what new to the game of reloading, an would like to know what bullet/powder works "best" in the slower twists. I have had good luck with 45 gr.(factory loads) and some luck with 55s,very limited luck, I would like to stick around 45s to 52 or 53s. I know enough about it to get me in trouble an I dont what to go there!I hate to go out an buy a lot of different bullet weights, then have them laying around. besides reloading should be cheaper on you not buying bullets then collecting duston them cause they dont fly good.I would like to see a MAX of 1" moa. I get about 3/4 now off bags, with 45s. Finding a cross between a .223 powder/30-30 powder would be a holy find. Any help would be great.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
H335 is about as good as it gets for the .223. And you should be getting sub MOA with most if not all the bullets in the 50-55gr range. Unless the barrel has been shot out, getting sub MOA groups from a Rem BDL ought to be a given. I'd try some 53gr Sierra Match Kings --they're flat based, and some 52gr Sierra Match Kings --they're the boat tailed version. If your rifle doesn't shoot one or the other of those into a sub MOA 5 shot group, I'd have the rifle looked at be a smith.
BTW, have you cleaned the barrel? Really, really cleaned it?

Last edited by stillbeeman; 10/26/12.

Aim for the exit hole.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If 335 doesn't work out for you, Benchmark is a suitable replacement. I've used both prairie dog shooting, and both are excellent powders. I kinda like Benchmark a little better, but not enough to fight over it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A 223 and a VW Bug are similar in the fact that just about anything will work well in them...there is NO real bad combo of powder and bullets, that will not shoot accurately in a 223 with a good bore... and many with a shot out bore...

I've always said, it is harder to find a powder that won't work in a 223, than it is to find one that is superior to everything else..

I own about 10 different 223s, that see about 5,000 rounds plus a year shot thru them... all single shot loaded one at a time... either at a target or at sage rats... not that I have tried every bullet powder combo under the sun.... but I have darn sure tried most of them....

and as far as bullets, I can't think of any real bad ones out there, except maybe if one searched for some foreign bulk batched 55 grain FMJ's....more made for blasting ammo out of an AR than a bolt gun... and even those can be made to reliably shoot minute of sage rat out to 200 plus yds...

heck, I load them down to 22 LR and 22 Mag specs, up to loads that would be considered overly "hot" by a lot of forum members..

bottom line, is I think you'll have a hard time finding a combo that will not work for you...

so whatever components are available where you live, or what you can mail order.. will more than do the job...

many of us that shoot the 223 alot, base our usage on whatever is economically the best deal.. the less it costs, the more we can shoot it..

being new to reloading, I'd bet you'd be surprised on how many forum members probably have several thousand rounds of 223 loaded and ready to go at any time... especially AR users and varmint shooters..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have found the 40 gr. Vmax and the 50 Grain VMax to be exceptionally accurate If shooting under 300 yards, I prefer the 40 at 3700 fps. I use 2200 with the 40 and Benchmark with the 50.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
clayhustler,

There are LOTS of powder/bullet combinations that work great in a 223.
In a 12" twist for general varmint use I have had excellent luck with Hornady VMAX 40gr & 50Gr for everything from ground squirrels to coyotes.
You mentioned a powder for use in both your 223 & your 30-30 so I will suggest Win 748 powder for a dual purpose do-it-all.
It can be a little temp* sensitive in very hot weather, and is not as clean burning as some of the newer powders, but loads great in both cartridges.
I've found 1/2moa accuracy in several of the 223/12" twist remington varmint rifles between 27-28grs of 748 with win primers and either the 40 or 50gr VMAX.
Usually work up from 27gr in .2 tenth increments until I find an accuracy node, then play with overall length to fine tune.
In the 30-30 you can usually get up to about 2250-2300fps in a 20" bbl with a Hornady 150gr bullet & maximum charges of 748.
If I remember correctly, it seems like Hornady even mentioned it as the powder with the best results for the 30-30 in one of their loading manuals.
If picking for one caliber I'd probably suggest something else for the 223, but for both of them 748 is a good place to start until you play with them some more.

Good Luck whatever you decide,
Ted smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
good advice from all. I use a 52 SMK over 335 for a base. Where consistant 1/2" or better is to be found.
Benchmark is preferred only because it burns cleaner. Varget has also worked, but was best w/55s.

Swifty

Swifty
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks all. I was just reading out in my shop bout case cap an powder charge. I did see H335 an plan on using it. one powder I am going to get is BL-c2(I think Dont have it with me).That seemed to give a good case cap an weight ratio.all of what I have read here will probably get tried. It is in man to tinker!!! To stillbeeman yes I have cleaned the barrel well. Brush an hoppes 9 as well as JB Bore Brite. I really want to thank you for asking it is amazing how that can get overlooked. I always clean a barrel well before an after a shooting( before, a bore snake) I learned the hard way once Dont ask I still weep a little about it!!!! The game is going to start tomorrow. I will try to keep a log on my work if anybody wants to know. Just got to try an post pic as well. Thanks again!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
claythustler,

While H335 just about always results in fine accuracy in the .223, you'll have to clean the bore a lot less if you use Ramshot TAC instead. The charge weights and velocities are just about identical, and both are ball powder so meter accurately in a powder measure, but TAC is much cleaner burning and also contains a decoppering agent. I've shot over 500 rounds through a .223 without cleaning when using TAC and the rifle shot just as accurately after 500 as it did in the first 50 rounds.

I burned a LOT of H335 in various .223's for years as my powder of choice, but after TAC appeared about a decade ago I switched over and have never looked back. My standard varmint load is a 50-grain bullet and 26 grains, and it's shot great in a bunch of .223's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TAC is pretty good stuff. It behaves well when working up loads with few surprises, and it's pretty clean. I'm with John on this one if you are looking to make your "life with 223" easy.
The others are fine, too. Seafire is right, you really have to TRY to not get something good for a 223. Just pay attention to the book, keep on top of your barrel cleaning, and enjoy yourself.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TAC's shot well for me but so far I've gotten a little better accuracy in my 223 with lighter bullets using Ramshot X-Terminator. 55 gr. and over TACs been more accurate.

I've had equally good accuracy with other powders but none of them have metered better or burned as clean as Tac or X-Terminator.

I don't know how well they work but Sierra's Edition V manual lists TAC and X-Terminator as one of the powders for their 125, 150 & 170 gr bullets in the 30-30.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
8208XBR and a Nosler 60 BT. Very accurate,

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 30 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,843
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.