Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Farming is in the midst of a startling renaissance�one that holds lessons for America�s economic future.

According to this article, farming is booming and institutional investors are investing...

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/07/the-triumph-of-the-family-farm/308998/

I wonder if the farmers on the fire agree?

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Interesting collectivist conclusion to the article about private sector entrepreneurs and the market factors.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Thats a pretty good article with some good points. I farm andi seed about 3800 acres in North Dakota. No irrigation becuase we don't have the water. Our average percipitation is about 14 inches a year total. This is what limits our yeild potential. The bottom line with all the technology is still yeild and price.It has been good for 5 or 6 years now hopefully it will continue for a while. ED

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not one mention of the jump in farm product prices due to gubmint subsidized and mandated ethanol fuel.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
lot's more room for prosperity when food prices are up rather than when they're down.

heck, i've been in line at the big box groceries, and tons of people buying food product just by signing a piece of paper they carry around them. some form of food stamps, i reckon?

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The Triumph's of the Bristoe family.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've moved on to other bikes,..but they were fun while my knees would tolerate them.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
When I think family farm I think the 120 acres that my maternal grandfather farmed and fed five kids from, or the 50 acres my paternal grandfather farmed and raised two boys from. Those are gone forever, the economy of scale isn't there and you can't support a family from that. Anyone farming 120 acres nowadays is a hobby farmer with another job or a pension to provide the necessities.

These big 3000-10,000 acre farms aren't "family farms" to me, they're corporations. Good on anyone who does that for a living, but the real "family farms" are gone forever.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
crow,that's my thinking too. we're seeing an interest in urban agriculture. it's appealing, warm and fuzzy.

but commodity production to feed the population has to come from the big multi-nationals and related. bulk production for a bulk population, and for export.

i understand the red chi-coms are buying or leasing massive tracts of land in africa to be dedicated to farming and food production for china.

but, i do like the sound of a "family farm."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big Ag is no friend to family farms. Nor are bankers for that matter. I'm the 3rd generation on what used to be my family's farm, but it is not my livelihood. However I have a daughter who may take a shot at organic gardening in the next couple of years. It would be nice to see her make a go of it.

'Local Produce' is catching on around here pretty well. I support small local farmers and ranchers every chance I get.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
from what's been on the news media there's been some dust clouds in the sw and midwest area.

i don't know if this is farming related or weather related. but, it can't be good when the soil becomes airborne.

the idea of locally produced food for local populations does have an appeal. as does southern hemispheric food imported into the Us in the winter months.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
In the last 4 years, feed and fuel prices have MORE than doubled - cattle prices - not even close!
See "runaway inflation"

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gus
crow,that's my thinking too. we're seeing an interest in urban agriculture. it's appealing, warm and fuzzy.

but commodity production to feed the population has to come from the big multi-nationals and related. bulk production for a bulk population, and for export.

i understand the red chi-coms are buying or leasing massive tracts of land in africa to be dedicated to farming and food production for china.

but, i do like the sound of a "family farm."

Put up some pictures of your crops / produce over the last 10 years than, azzwhole.

You look and sound like LOVING the sound of your waterpipe, or Bong, or whatever the [bleep] it is you suck on.

PICS,.... your PRODUCTION....let's see em'!

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 10/28/12.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mark shubert
In the last 4 years, feed and fuel prices have MORE than doubled - cattle prices - not even close!
See "runaway inflation"

Mark

I get REALLY pizzed off at these Space Cadet Academy Graduates,..... "Hippy / Yuppy" types that have one foot in the grave, and haven't grown, or planted a goddam thing since they were pups.

I give a rat's azz where they "Grew up", or WTF they did on their parents "Farm",..... any of that,....either.

Show me your RECENT production,......that's where I'm coming into this discussion from.

Let's say you want to grow fine, chem free vegetables in competition with subsidized, local "NAFTA Marketing Groups".

Mark,......you know EXACTLY what I'm getting at here, too.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 10/28/12.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I beleive the people in the USA still spend less of their income on food than any place on earth. Don't whine with your mouth full cause i can't hear you. ED

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,916
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.