Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I just returned from an elk hunt in Colorado. I was a guest of a group who does a DIY horseback hunt. It was a fantastic trip and something new for me. A couple of the guys are elk hunting fanatics who do this every year. I'd like to get a few thank you gifts and looking for suggestions. I've got some thoughts but figure the collective group here might have some good suggestions also. By the way...Our group of five managed to get two elk.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Havalon Piranta knives. I've given a few away as gifts and everyone loves 'em, plus they won't break the bank.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
GoalZero solar charger kit.

Edit: the Havalon knives are a great idea as well. Worked great for me.

Last edited by prm; 10/28/12.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
A really good headlamp is always a good idea.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Hoochiemama smile

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
ScopeShield Alaska scope covers...often given by some of the best outfitters to their clients.

Sure, this is a self-serving post, but everyone loves these things!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
bourbon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mule Deers wife's 'A Slice of the Wild' cookbook is really good....its what im getting my brother in law this Christmas...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DeskJockey
I was a guest of a group who does a DIY horseback hunt. ... I'd like to get a few thank you gifts and looking for suggestions. I've got some thoughts but figure the collective group here might have some good suggestions also.

Well...you left out how much you are looking to spend. Are you looking to really "WOW" them (and get invited back next year)? If so, get some Gene Ingram combo's on order and send them pics of the patterns you chose for them. That kind of thing is cool because it takes a lot of time for them to get the knives, and they'll be thinking about them a lot--and thinking how cool you are for buying them!

A middle of the road gift might be new saddle pads and/or saddle bags. Cashel makes some good stuff right here in the USA. http://www.cashelcompany.com/Product.aspx?DepartmentID=6&CategoryID=82&ProductID=838

Another idea would be to order some large prints of photos you took and have them framed and sent directly to your hosts. Online companies do it all and you never have to be bothered with the framing or mailing.

I've always enjoyed items from the same region as where somebody is from. I'm from Washington, so I like to bring boxes of Washington apples to people, along with smoked salmon. There's also a candy made here called Aplets and Cotlets that most people like. You being from AK, salmon and other seafood would be cool.

And of course, you could always do the Fail-Safe, Never-Wrong thing: Cabela's gift cards. Every guy can use them and likes them.

Good luck with picking something!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get'em a decent knife or multi-tool and have it engraved with their names.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guess I'm just too practical for my own good- if you noticed when you were in camp that there was something that might be useful to have in camp- a coffee maker, different stove, Pannier for the horses to carry a load into camp, a new cooler, lantern,etc.... you might want to donate that to the group camp as a "new member". In our camp, the guys who are appreciated most are the guys who see what needs to be done or what items the camp needs and chips in with help or brings a few items to make the camp a little merrier.

If they are already pretty well set up, you may want to get the guys a nice wool Pendleton shirt, or a couple pair of good Merino wool socks and/or gloves.
Lots of things a guy can use in camp that make it handy and make yourself appreciated by others. Just be creative.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Any of the above, I really like the wool shirt,gaitors or some other gear choice. My bet is they already have good knives.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (Akhutr, beefan, 358wsm, 2500HD, bosshoff, 12 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 735 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.