Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I have finally decided to get some scope covers, but I don't want to get junkers, what is best???

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does anyone make them other than Butler Creek? Hell, I've even got one on my UniFlow...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm fond of the Leupold ones for my Leupold scopes. Otherwise, it's Butler Creek for me.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a huge fan of the Leupold Alumina screw in type for the vx2/3 scopes. Love the clean lines. A bit pricey, but I think they look better than the traditional plastic and rubber types. It doesn't hurt either that I'm a Leupold fan. However, it would be great to see other scope manufacturers do the same.

As for non factory, Butler Creek make some nice ones.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Be careful of the Butler Creek Blizzard see-thru ones. The optical quality since they moved production to China has been horrible. Unusable in my experience. YMMV.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doesn't make sense to me to pay good money for a good scope with good glass.....and then look through it via a cheap piece of plastic! I use the bikini scope covers, and then just take it off when necessary.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Leupold Alumina Flip Back are the best I've seen, but fit only Leupy scopes and they're pricey.

DF

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I looked at some and there were at least 3 different kinds. I would never use a see through cover to shoot, I am just interested in a good durable flip up cover that works over and over...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Butler Creek, non see thru models, works great, cheap, and you can find them anywhere

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bad thing about the ones that fit real good is that they can trap moisture, therefore fogging the outside of the scope lens.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
Doesn't make sense to me to pay good money for a good scope with good glass.....and then look through it via a cheap piece of plastic! I use the bikini scope covers, and then just take it off when necessary.

Agreed! 100%

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

+1

I've largely gone away from flip ups, especially on hard-kicking guns. If you get careless or crowd the scope their added length and/or the hinge can bite you. You can forget to pop the covers open when they should be. The open covers can snag on brush. I used them for years, but there are just too many drawbacks compared to the slip-on neoprene covers. They're all I use now.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

+2.

I like the bikini covers because you can get them off real quick and don't have to mess with flipping the individual scope covers.

They're lightweight, fit all objective sizes and are extremely economical. I've had Butler Creek and Leupy's and definitely prefer the bikini.

Last edited by FishN4Eyes; 10/30/12.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I have finally decided to get some scope covers, but I don't want to get junkers, what is best???

Best for what?

Leupold Aluminas are classy as heck but only fit newer Leup's. They worked well in the all-day drizzle for me on 2.5-8's. The price will shock you.

Swaro has a proprietary one that I've not used.

On my Conquests and Swarovski and older Leup's I use Butler Creeks. They are cheap, not classy, not hard to break, but do usually keep lenses dry in a drizzle. And they are cheap. And available. And cheap. I'll be buying another objective one for my Swaro 3-10 as I just broke another one elk hunting.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use pieces of inner tubes.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on BC non see-through flip-ups.

Nothing not to like.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NathanL
I use pieces of inner tubes.

I would love to see that on Shrap's quiver of Sakos. grin

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

^ This ^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I don't use 'em, period..

I don't know why scope makers don't have, as an accessory, a screw-on hood similar to large camera lenses.. Those would keep the elements at bay while ensuring no deterioration in glass quality..

But, whatever.. I've hunted in inclement weather in NW Wisconsin many years; rain, snow, you-name-it and I've been in it.. never needed scope covers..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a set of Butler Creeks without the plastic lens. At least I have a front one. I took off the rear one when I got busted in the eye since it sticks back an inch behind the scope. When carrying the rifle slung over my shoulder, the rear one isn't needed anyway.
The front one does give good protection and it's very easy to use in the field. However, it will trap moisture and a little fogging on the front scope lens is very possible on a wet day. I've considered drilling a couple small holes in the side to let it breathe but I don't know if that would solve it without killing the reason for the cover in the 1st place.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,405
Posts18,470,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.