-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a rifle that is currently a 9.3x62mm as a result of re-boring and re-chambering a 30-06. When the rifle was re-bored and re-chambered, the shank was turned down and the 30-06 caliber marking removed. However, on the underside of the barrel, the current caliber (9.3x62mm) is stamped along with the twist rate.

In order to get this rifle into RSA would the caliber marking as it is suffice, or would I need to have the cailber stamped/engraved above the stock line?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
This past June they did not even look at the caliber marking, only the SN's to ensure they match the paperwork. Ammo casing (brass) markings did not match the barrel markings either. No issues. Same on previous trip there years ago. I wouldn't worry about.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have never had a caliber scrutinized.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The serial number is the important one that has to fit the SAP520 application form.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by WiFowler
I have a rifle that is currently a 9.3x62mm as a result of re-boring and re-chambering a 30-06. When the rifle was re-bored and re-chambered, the shank was turned down and the 30-06 caliber marking removed. However, on the underside of the barrel, the current caliber (9.3x62mm) is stamped along with the twist rate.

In order to get this rifle into RSA would the caliber marking as it is suffice, or would I need to have the cailber stamped/engraved above the stock line?

I think what you're saying is that the "caliber" marking is on the barrel where it wouldn't be visible without removing the barrel/receiver from the stock.

I also have never had anyone specifically check either headstamps on the brass or caliber markings on the barrel but there is always a first time.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by EdM
This past June they did not even look at the caliber marking, only the SN's to ensure they match the paperwork. Ammo casing (brass) markings did not match the barrel markings either. No issues. Same on previous trip there years ago. I wouldn't worry about.

My experience, as well.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Grumulkin

I think what you're saying is that the "caliber" marking is on the barrel where it wouldn't be visible without removing the barrel/receiver from the stock.

Correct.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It might be wise to not confuse "what they have done in the past" with "what their laws say and what they can do any time they decide to do it".

The RSA Firearms Control Act requires the serial number and caliber listed on the SAPS 520 to match the firearm markings and ammo head stamps and it gives the RSA Police the authority to inspect the firearm for both and that could include requiring disassembly of the weapon to be able to put eyeballs on the engraved data if and when they do decide to do so for whatever reason they like.

It might be wise to spend a few $$$ with a gunsmith or an engraver to have the caliber marked so you "might not" be required to disassemble in front of the Police and also holding up the line of other guys trying to clear firearms and maybe make a connecting flight. You can also engrave it yourself with a diamond bit Dremil tool too. I've done that on a custom Mauser I had built and the serial number was on the bottom of the receiver in front of the magazine well. Just used the Dremil and etched it into the flat spot on top of the left side of the ejection port.

When it comes to head stamps - do you really want to risk having your hand loads even "possibly" confiscated by an RSA Police agent who happens to have a wild hair up his a$$ the day you just happen to walk through.

It's your money, your hunt, your risk and your choice.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Don't know about RSA, but if you are ever going to go to other countries, consider this:

This past August, I took a rifle and shotgun into Argentina, for water buffalo and dove hunting. Several months earlier, I had filled out the Firearms Declaration form and sent it along to my outfitter in Argentina.

Upon arrival, the firarms are directed to a police office at the airport, where the firearms are most closely scrutinized for everything- serial numbers, barrel lengths as declared on the FD, caliber/gauge markings, firearms manufacturer, and finally, an inspection of ammunition, including verification of headstamp for caliber. If everything passes muster, then you are issued a fistful of paperwork, which you are sternly instructed to keep with you at all times while hunting.

If a caliber stamp had not been visible, I might still be there.....

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The worst that could happen is that you would have to take it out of the stock. this is very unlikely. When you get US customs to make out the 4457, have them put the caliber as well as the s/n on the form.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had my rifle checked and ammo checked in Zimbabwe this year...to make sure it matched the paperwork i had filled out...

first time i had one box of ammo opened up to check the shells to see what was stamped...

if in doubt take the proper tools along just in case you need to show...

Also while in joberg this year i had to take my ammo out of my bag for weighing. 1st time...

usually the rifle is the most watched item to make sure it is what you have on your paper work...

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My experience in Argentina (Cordoba) mirrored yours.

Last edited by Winchestermodel70; 11/07/12.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Avoid potential grief, spend a few bucks and get it nicely marked where all can see. I have never had a problem but it is africa and $^&T happens!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WiFowler

WF,

Just have a GS evgrave the info on the barrel where it can be inspected w/o removing the barrel. AS it should have been done the first time!

Ray

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (219 Wasp, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,163 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,090
Posts18,501,892
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.