Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Are you guys running spitzer bullets in your 99s?

Played with it, not worth the trouble. Lose too much room in the case to keep it short enough to fit in the magazine.

That's about what I found.
I think shorter bullets like Speers would work good but don't really see the need when 170fp work so well smile

I use a 22" barrel Sav 99 in 30-30 & a 1899A in 38-55 regularly, both with tangs. I used to swear by an old stand bye of mine, a 1899 Featherweight in 303, seemed like everytime I took it out I saw game, I would take it out again but swapped the tang off it onto one of my other 99s frown

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes......A Win 94 in 30-30. Never came across a "99" in 30-30. The 30-30 round works great if you know it`s limitations.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Are you guys running spitzer bullets in your 99s?

Played with it, not worth the trouble. Lose too much room in the case to keep it short enough to fit in the magazine.

A good point, and might be THE real limiting factor and the real reason factory loads haev always been round or flat nosed slugs. Also why my attempt will be with 130gr bullets, hoping to keep them short enough to work through the action well and yet be a go fast bullet. I know, I am trying to make a sports car out of a pickup truck, but it is a fun project in my view. Even if the 130gr TTSX's downt work out I will be able to run conventional bullets at 300 Savage speeds from a very slim lightweight carbine. Barnes also makes a WICKED wide nosed all copper hollow point 150 for 30/30's that might be my best option.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lauren
Safariman, bring the 1890 with ya and I'll host ya. We are in the Adirondacks and quite of ten ya get a nice walk and no deer.

Even with no deer, that sounds like a fun trip. I my declining health and cash flow allow, don't be too terribly surprised if I take you up on it! Always wanted to roam the North Woods with a classic old levergun in hand, while wearing my LL Beane Maine Hunting Shoes and Filson Red and BLack plaid gear just for the absolute joy and fun of it all.

Regardless, THANK YOU for the kind offer!

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey, if you're from Walla Walla WA we could drive east together. Of course, that would depend on Jed and Lauren inviting me. I've met them face to face and its a roll of the dice as to whether or not an invitation would be forthcoming. I can and probably have been from time to time a PITA. I can at least get you as far east as Wisconsin. If need be then its up to you. Whether or not your quest for a deer is successful a day in the deer woods is still medicine for the soul. The kill isn't necessarily the high point of the walk in the deer woods. Regardless, I can guarantee you that you'd enjoy their hospitality.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Driving together might be a hoot. Lets see if anyone wants to invite a couple of Westerners out to somewhere where the deer limit is more than one, and where the chances of perforating a couple of deer with oldy moldy lever action rifles is good.

A hunt up in Maine or The Adrionaks in addition would be great as well, but I kind of want to hunt a Southeastern State that has a high deeer limit and mucho deers to shoot at first before going up there with my Elmer Fudd (LL Bean and such) full gear on.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Safariman, I hope this hunt works out for you.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks!

I am in the process of selling guns that I can bear to part with to be able to afford to go on hunts I want to do before I have to go on dyalisis which will make such trips impossible. Shooting some stuff with lever action rifles in classic type hunts including with a model 1899 and a model 94 are on my "Before Dyalisis" list.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still time to hunt bears in Oregon, but I'm not sure if tags are still available, I buy mine early...

LOL
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,827
Posts18,516,845
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.