Print Thread
Hop To
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I have been thinking about a browning micro hunter in .22 hornet for awhile. Something to shoot woodchucks and crows with. But then I got the notion to get all fancy and go for one of those Cooper rifles from Montana. Then I found out, that the only way to get one of the 22 Hornets was to get a Model 38 in the classic or western classic. And those are single shots. Now why only single shot? Is it a stronger action that accounts for their great accuracy? It is nice to have more than one shot if needed. And it just seems odd to have a bolt action single shot. If you were to make a classic single shot, maybe you would go with a rolling block or a sharps action. Just wondering...

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm not privy to the inner thought process at Cooper, but it might have something to do with designing an internal magazine that will reliably feed those little rimed cartridges. Most .22 Hornet repeaters use use single stack detachable "clip" magazines that stick out beneath the stock, and many people find that unpleasing to the eye, especially on a high dollar rifle like the Cooper. Also, designing and manufacturing a clip for a rifle with low production numbers is not practical from a cost standpoint. Many accuracy buffs feel that a bolt action with no slot cut in the receiver or stock for a magazine is stiffer, and therefore conducive to better accuracy. You might give Cooper a call and see what they have to say.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Wait for next year when their new models come out, maybe the 38 will have a mag fed. I got a 20 VT, its awesome!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I sure wish they made a repeating hornet. I would have one beside my Anschutz and Kimber, both have solved the "magazine" issue.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Suggest you call Cooper and ask about a repeating M38, as they are coming out with a repeating M21 in the next few months. I don't know about the 38.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm pretty sure the only plan for a repeater next year is with the 223 family. Think
Model 51.....

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All the reports I've read indicate the Browning in 22H is a real winner. I have a Micro in 243 that's super accurate.

As for the Cooper goes, I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure accuracy and manufacturing costs are both a factor in the single shot design.
I wouldn't let the single shot platform disuade me though if small varmints are the main menu. For predator's yea, a repeater gets the nod, but I get along fine shooting Ground Squirrels and Rock Chucks with a M38 in 17AHornet. I carry a few rounds in the shirt pocket and can get a second shot off fairly quickly. Course, with Coopers accuracy, and some better shooting skills than I posess you probaly won't need a second shot. blush

IMO, the M38 Classic is the perfect walking varminter.
My only regret is waiting so long to buy one.
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by E Blair
I have been thinking about a browning micro hunter in .22 hornet for awhile. Something to shoot woodchucks and crows with. But then I got the notion to get all fancy and go for one of those Cooper rifles from Montana. Then I found out, that the only way to get one of the 22 Hornets was to get a Model 38 in the classic or western classic. And those are single shots. Now why only single shot? Is it a stronger action that accounts for their great accuracy? It is nice to have more than one shot if needed. And it just seems odd to have a bolt action single shot. If you were to make a classic single shot, maybe you would go with a rolling block or a sharps action. Just wondering...

I believe that this is what you are looking for - a Cooper model 40 (repeater) in 22 Hornet, now all that is left is to make the call.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/931627448/Cooper+Model+40+Custom+Classic+22+Hornet.htm#

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
a hornet repeater is no trick for them. cz ruger and sako all made repeater hornets

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went through the same process last year looking for a 221 fireball. I wanted a cooper and found several lightly used ones at great prices. Problem was it was a single shot. This was going to be my main coyote rifle, and I truely need a repeater. Wish I was good enough to use a single shot, but nothing gives me buck fever like a coyote running in to a call. I ended up getting the CZ.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
E Blair: I have a "Varminter" in caliber 22 Hornet that is a single shot - it is a Ruger #1-B.
I also have another single shot in 218 Bee (Ruger #1-B) and another single shot that is indeed a "bolt action" in caliber 221 Remington Fireball (Kimber of Oregon Ultra-Varmint).
Along with these "single shots" in the "smaller calibers" I have a BUNCH of single shots in larger calibers.
I do not think you will be seriously hampered with a single shot 22 Hornet - at least based on my experience.
Just practice and plan for rapid reloading of additional cartridges.
As for the reasoning behind a Varminting bolt action single shot I will give up these conjectures - they are cheaper to build and indeed there may be a slight accuracy enhancement with the stiffer action of the single shot?
The Cooper Rifles I have shot and seen shot don't go lacking in the accuracy department much at all whether single shot or repeater.
A "classic" single shot 22 Hornet - in my mind anyway - has already been made. And that is the Ruger #1-B in either the 22 Hornet or 218 Bee. These are now available on the used market.
The route through the "custom riflesmithing" of any Rifle these days is a VERY expensive trip indeed!
I recommend you look into a Ruger #1-B or if the most in accuracy is a prime concern then GO with the Cooper.
Best of luck to you whichever way you go.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
E Blair: I have a "Varminter" in caliber 22 Hornet that is a single shot - it is a Ruger #1-B.
I also have another single shot in 218 Bee (Ruger #1-B) and another single shot that is indeed a "bolt action" in caliber 221 Remington Fireball (Kimber of Oregon Ultra-Varmint).
Along with these "single shots" in the "smaller calibers" I have a BUNCH of single shots in larger calibers.
I do not think you will be seriously hampered with a single shot 22 Hornet - at least based on my experience.
Just practice and plan for rapid reloading of additional cartridges.
As for the reasoning behind a Varminting bolt action single shot I will give up these conjectures - they are cheaper to build and indeed there may be a slight accuracy enhancement with the stiffer action of the single shot?
The Cooper Rifles I have shot and seen shot don't go lacking in the accuracy department much at all whether single shot or repeater.
A "classic" single shot 22 Hornet - in my mind anyway - has already been made. And that is the Ruger #1-B in either the 22 Hornet or 218 Bee. These are now available on the used market.
The route through the "custom riflesmithing" of any Rifle these days is a VERY expensive trip indeed!
I recommend you look into a Ruger #1-B or if the most in accuracy is a prime concern then GO with the Cooper.
Best of luck to you whichever way you go.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks for your input, VarmintGuy. I am thinking of going the Cooper way, with one of the lower cost models. I can't see spending 3 or 4 grand on a rifle and then getting it all wet and messed up in the field. By the way, what do you shoot out in Montana with the hornet? I want to get out there someday and take the kids to enjoy the great outdoors. Maybe shoot a coyote with a hornet too. I like the Ruger no. 1s, but hear they can be a little finicky in the accuracy dept.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 26 invisible), 1,947 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,848
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.