Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
tal35 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I saw hornady makes a .227 bullet and was wandering if anyone has tried it in the hi power.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr><p>I saw hornady makes a .227 bullet and was wandering if anyone has tried it in the hi power.<p><hr></blockquote>
<br>Since this bullet was designed specifically for the Hi Power, and no others, why wouldn't it work? I believe that this is the same bullet used by Norma in their 5.6 x 52R loads.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Some time ago, Ken Waters did an article on the .22 Hi-Power. He found that the Hornady 70 grain .227" bullets did not stabilize in his rifle. He did have good accuracy with the Speer 70 grain .224" bullets, also with the Speer .227" bullet which is no longer made.
<br>Hornady may have redesigned the .227" bullet since the article was done.
<br>The Ken Waters article can be found in his "Pet Loads" publication.
<br>I shoot 64 grain Winchester Power Points in my .22 Hi-Powers and get good accuracy.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ken Waters may be a helluva writer, but a few of the things he's come up with over the past few years are making me question his judgment (case forming for the .25 Remington among them).

tal35 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, I was thinking it was .228 diameter but didn't know for sure.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've got 5 boxes of norma 70 gn 22 HP factory cartridges (stole it) and an older box of the 70gn .227 hornady slugs and they do not appear to be the same. Maybe later norma or hornady slugs are different.
<br>
<br>The hornady is a more slender longer bullet where the norma is shorter and stubby. I have not loaded up any of the hornadys so I don't know how they shoot.
<br>
<br>I have to get a set of dies first, any recommendations, I know one thing I don't want to use a 22-250 die and neck size once fired brass as some one suggested on another board. This causes the necks to split when seating the 227 bullet, I've seen a box of once fired brass ruined trying this approach.
<br>
<br>Anybody know where to get norma slugs for reloading.
<br>
<br>One of my 22 HPs is all original with the exception of being D & T by some bonehead before me but the price was right so I bought it and put a leupold m8-4x on it but have not made it to the range to try the norma or any reloads yet, we will see just how accurate this 22 HP can be, soon.
<br>
<br>As a side note, the barrels on both of my HPs are not the shineyest/brighest inside but the riflings are very strong. I have seen many HPs that had shiny bores but the rifling was basically gone. I prefer strong rifling to a shiny bore as long as the bore is good and can be cleaned up. It's hard to make a barrel with little or no rifling shoot, so if your looking for a HP this is just something else to look for if you are going to shoot it.
<br>
<br>Anybody shoot 5.6 x 52R S & B ammo, what diameter (224 or 227) are the slugs in their 22 HP cartridges?
<br>
<br>I also picked up some once fired REM-UMC 250 HP cases from a guy a while back, never seen that before. Also got some 25-35 WW cases from him, anybody resize 25-35 to 22 HP, if so how well does it work?
<br>
<br>TX

Last edited by txtornado; 06/17/02.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I tried resizing some .30-30 into 22HP. Didn't work too good. I kept getting wrinkles on the shoulder area.
<br>I'll sell you my 22HP dies. They are RCBS and almost new. Make me an offer?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
For brass I use Winchester .25-35 cases. A little Imperial Sizing lube and then into a Redding .22 Hi-Power sizing die. The trick, to reduce case loss, is to go slowly into the .22 Hi-Power die, back the case out of the die, then into it again, repeat until the .22 Hi-Power case is formed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes I have. I had very good results with the Hornady 70 grain .227 bullits in my handloads. They shoot as well or better than the Norma 5.6X52R. I have had very good accuracy but don't have access to my reloading book at the moment. Email me latter and I will give details. MJanusch@peoplepc.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tx,
<br>www.grafs.com sells Norma bullets. I didn't see the .22 listed, but it may not hurt to ask them.
<br>
<br>Jeff

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr><p>I didn't see the .22 listed, but it may not hurt to ask them.<p><hr></blockquote>
<br>Uh, gee, jeff. Norma doesn't make any 0.227" caliber bullets, so what point would it serve to ask Graf's? In fact, if you'd looked at Norma's website you'd have seen that. Follow your own admonishment, jeff, and post the facts.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
wow I can't believe I am agreeing with Elvis.. ah Robert on this. Ken Waters last article on the 300 in reloader mag. ...sucked. he didn't use the best bullets on the market for the 300 ,because they are too long??? Bullpoopy, Nosler BT, and Hornady SST 150s are the ONLY bullets to use.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr><p>I tried resizing some .30-30 into 22HP. Didn't work too good. I kept getting wrinkles on the shoulder area.<p><hr></blockquote>The cases have to be necked down in stages to avoid this.
<br><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr><p>wow I can't believe I am agreeing with Elvis.. ah Robert on this. Ken Waters last article on the 300 in reloader mag. ...sucked. he didn't use the best bullets on the market for the 300 ,because they are too long??? Bullpoopy, Nosler BT, and Hornady SST 150s are the ONLY bullets to use.<p><hr></blockquote>
<br>I began to start wondering about Ken Waters' judgment when I started reloading for the .25 Remington a few years ago. Waters recommends simply running .30 Remington brass through a .25 Remington sizing die. More often than not cases end up with collapsed or wrinkled shoulders and necks. When I started researching it, other writers and reloading manufacturers advised me to size it in stages. Redding (and RCBS) make intermediate sizing dies for the purpose of forming cases. I would expect the same thing would have to be done with .22 Hi-Power cases.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Birddog65,
<br>
<br>Could you cite the specific issue number of Handloader that you are discussing Ken's errors/failure in so that I could read it for myself?
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264
<br>
<br>PS I kinda like the 170 grain Remington RNCL 30-30 bullets in the 300 Savage. Light jacket + rapid expansion = venison!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr><p>Could you cite the specific issue number of Handloader that you are discussing Ken's errors/failure in so that I could read it for myself?<p><hr></blockquote>
<br>My Handloader collection only goes back to 1996, but in #187, Waters has a blurb about getting good accuracy out of his .22 Hi-Power with .224 caliber projectiles driven to near maximum velocity. He mentions the 0.227" slugs as being proper. In Handloader #181, Gil Sengel has a nice write up on the Hi-Power in "Cartridge Board."

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bear give me a couple days to tear the house apart looking for it, or maybe somebody(Robert) would jump in and save me the trouble. I know it was sometime in 2001 cause everyone on G&N was talking about it. Anyhow, he specifically stated that he was picking the shorter type bullets cause of powder volume, and he wasn't even loading the max AOL of 2.60, actually I can load to 2.608- 2.610 with no problems in my rifles, just make sure you know how to check for your guns limits, by making sure that bullet does not touch the rifleing when loaded past the 2.600 limit. Also ,if you go too far,the rotory mag will jam and you won't be able to eject unfired rounds.Mark.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bear, you are not realizing the full potential of the wonderful 300. Those round nose bullets would be great if you would never get a chance at a long shot, but ,man that 300 is good for 300 with the right bullet. Try a box of Hornady SST 150s, they are unbelievably accurate and still tears um up.Just for the naysayers, a 300 savage loaded with 150 SST and and a muzzle velocity of 2600 -2700 fps has the same energy and velocity at 300yds. as a 30-30 does at 100yds.Just an FYI. Mark

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr><p>Bear give me a couple days to tear the house apart looking for it, or maybe somebody(Robert) would jump in and save me the trouble.<p><hr></blockquote>
<br>You'll have to wait until tomorrow when I'm back home.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr><p>I know it was sometime in 2001 cause everyone on G&N was talking about it.<p><hr></blockquote>
<br>It wasn't in 2001 or in any of my meager collection of Handloader issues back to 1996. I can only find two small mentions by Waters: in #187 about .227 caliber bullets being proper (he says he likes 0.224" 63 grain Sierras at maximum velocity) and in #201 about the need for more .227 caliber bullets.
<br>
<br>In that lame lever action special that Wolfe sent out a couple of years ago, there's one brief mention of the .22 Hi-Power by Layne Simpson.
<br>
<br>It must be in an older issue.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Robert,
<br>
<br>I think that I recall a Layne Simpson article on the 22HP in a large soft cover book on varmint cartridges which might have been a Wolfe publication too. I recall seeing his Model 1899F with a Lyman peep sight along side a couple of dead woodchucks.
<br>
<br>Simpson, along with John Barsness and Wayne Von Zwoll, are the only current "name" gunwriters who acknowledge liking Savage Models 99 and 1920 enough to cite them in their bodies of work. Although Simpson's work often seems rather superficial to me, he is a known name and a friend of the Models 99 and 1920. You might recall a fellow by the name of Clay Harvey who wrote some articles and books during the 1980s and early 1990s. His work was very pro-Models 99 and pro-250/3000, but I haven't seen him in print for several years. Do you know what happened to him?
<br>
<br>Thank you for your research assistance on this issue.
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

349 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,022
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.