Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'll bet it was certainly a striker-fired semi-auto that wasn't in a holster that covered the trigger.

Too bad.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No doubt, the trigger is what make em go bang so ya gotta make sure it don't move till ya want it to.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like the gun did what it was suppose to do. The trigger gets pulled and the gun goes bang. Too bad it had to happen to him though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lesson one never place a load striker fired weapon in a bag full of other chit with it moving and bouncing around. The pistol worked fine , pull the trigger it fires.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

R
RGS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
There's nothing at all wrong with the traditional DA auto design where the first shot is DA and the rest SA. It is about as simple to operate, yet idiot proof as they've come up with yet.

On the other hand, the officer was negligent and broke at least 3 gun safety rules. One wonders how many times he had performed this same drill and got away with it. A cavalier attitude toward safe gun handling yields sad stories like this. No one is immune. Certainly not me.

Rick
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RGS
There's nothing at all wrong with the traditional DA auto design where the first shot is DA and the rest SA. It is about as simple to operate, yet idiot proof as they've come up with yet.

Are you sure the weapon was a double action semi auto, not a striker fire (like a Glock)

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Cumberland county uses Glock .40s. Verity depends on job.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by SEdge
Cumberland county uses Glock .40s. Verity depends on job.

Thanks.....

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The guy is a Major in the Corrections Division; chances are the only time he shoots is when he has to qualify.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by LarryfromBend
I'll bet it was certainly a striker-fired semi-auto that wasn't in a holster that covered the trigger.

Too bad.
Yep.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGS
There's nothing at all wrong with the traditional DA auto design where the first shot is DA and the rest SA.
Almost certainly that long and heavy double action pull would have prevented this from happening.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
shoulda had an xd with the grip safety.

My diploma is a DD214
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by rem141r

OR a 1911, HK USP, etc

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
None of which, IMHO, excuse poor (unsafe) handling. Cross Pen Syndrome is unacceptable.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'm of the "if it can possibly go wrong, it will to me" mindset. Take all the mechanical "safe" mechanisms of the 1911 and throw said semi in a bag of misc. schit without a holster. My running shoe would knock the thumb safety off while the grip got pinned agains my Kindle. From there it's as simple as a pen through the trigger guard.....

Highly unlikely, absolutely. Impossible.....I'd rather not find out.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rem141r
Or a 1911, or a double action revolver, or even a traditional double action auto. All would be safer in such a circumstance. Ideally, though, no loaded handgun with a hot chamber should be carried that way.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
How about not loading it until he actually holstered it? It's doing him no good in a bag full of loose goodies anyway.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NH K9
I'm of the "if it can possibly go wrong, it will to me" mindset. Take all the mechanical "safe" mechanisms of the 1911 and throw said semi in a bag of misc. schit without a holster. My running shoe would knock the thumb safety off while the grip got pinned agains my Kindle. From there it's as simple as a pen through the trigger guard.....

Highly unlikely, absolutely. Impossible.....I'd rather not find out.

George

DITTOS! Me too!

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

R
RGS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by RGS

Are you sure the weapon was a double action semi auto, not a striker fire (like a Glock)

On the contrary. I'm making the assumption it was a striker/ mechanically assisted type of trigger. Course it could have been a SA that had the safety bumped off in the bag too. Either way it was "cocked (to some degree or another)and unlocked".

The type of action is not as important to me as the careless gun handling that preceded the loud noise. I don't believe ANY loaded handgun would be "safe" if handled in the way portrayed in the article.

1) Was the muzzle pointed in a safe direction?

2) Was the magazine and action cleared before the firearm was "stored"?

3) Did he keep his finger, or in this case foreign material, out of the trigger guard until ready to shoot?

If he had followed any ONE of these simple rules, he would have avoided the incident no matter what type of action his particular handgun featured. Gun safety is a state of mind, and a conscious decision to abide by a few simple rules EVERY TIME.

This man should have been issued a framing hammer.

Rick
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,532
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.