Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ZEKEOB Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey guys figured I would share public land hunt story�I ran into a situation on this hunt that I would be curious, what you�ve done or what you would�ve done in the same situation.

[Linked Image]
These guys were looking for any excuse to gobble

[Linked Image]
Sad Daddy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Another nice one

[Linked Image]
Glassing

Opening day got kicked off on the right foot with my Dad & our buddy Jamie both punching their tags in.

[Linked Image]
Dads Bucks

[img]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc1/jakeob6/24hr/DSC00692.jpg[/img]
Jamies Buck

The second day is where things got a little interesting; I was laid up under a cedar tree when I heard a shot up off behind me. I hopped up & sky lining I could see a buck, ran got my pack for a rest, and looked up� he was gone. I sat for a few minutes glassing when �wack-wack� the guy took two more shots, at that moment two bucks started hauling ass down that ridge strait at me, one curled up & over a ridge the other was in a dead sprint toward me, picked up my bino�s �it�s a buck�. It�s a good buck!� I took a shot & rolled him up. I made my way to the buck, looked on top of the hill & here came the other hunter. He made his was to me & was looking for blood; the guy hadn�t realized the deer was 20 feet from where he was standing till I pointed him out, we met at the deer & both told our side of the story. Finally we got down to the chase when he said �well how we goin� do this�; first I wanted to be sure that the deer I killed was actually the deer he claims to have shot, I purposed that we started looking for blood prior to where I shot him. Never being in this predicament before I called my Dad looking for advice he said as I expected him to �if he got blood first, it probably should be his deer�; I think I knew the answer before I called but something inside me wanted to hear the opposite. I ended up finding a few specs of blood 35 yards from where I shot him. Pointed the blood out to the guy & told him he brought blood first, it�s his deer; we pulled the deer out of the drainage, looked the deer over and it looked to me like he shot the buck low & far back in the gut & it came out hitting him around the tarsal gland. I ended up spending the next three plus hours with the guy & helping get the nice 5X6 to his pickup. And with a handshake & a thank you from the guy I was back to hunting, I�d be lying to say I wasn�t a little bummed about the situation, I think had I not helped the guy pack the deer out & just got back to hunting it might not have been much of a thought, but I had spent time & sweat on him. I�ve thought about it a lot over the past week and there are a couple ways to look at it; as I had explained to me by one guy �do you give the game ball to the guy that gets the base hit or the guy that got the grand slam?� or the way I handled it & I truly feel like I did the right thing, I�m not sure I would�ve felt right about keeping a deer that he spotted & shot first; almost like I would�ve had to put an asterisk by his horns. I�d be curious if anyone has had this happen before & what they did?

[img]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc1/jakeob6/24hr/IMG_4601.jpg[/img]
Here is that buck

The next day our other buddy & I tagged out.

[img]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc1/jakeob6/24hr/DSC00731.jpg[/img]
Ronnys Buck

[img]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc1/jakeob6/24hr/DSC00710.jpg[/img]
My buck

Jamie had went into town that evening & got steaks, we feasted like kings and ended up staying up late shooting the bull, laughing & reliving the past three days. What a trip! Tagged out on day three� great company, amazing results & a trip that won�t be forgotten.
[img]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc1/jakeob6/24hr/IMG_4692.jpg[/img]

For I am not ashamed
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Things like this suck and unfortunately happen and will most likely happen more and more on land that's crowded and is public.

To my point, many will see this differently but I'd of done the same thing. I would of turfed the buck and then when I found out he had a bullet in it as much as it would sting I'd of chalked it up to an assist (on my part).

Well done by you to help him get it to his rig.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Good for you. You did the right thing.

I follow the 'first blood' rule. I would be happy to stop a wounded animal from getting away, and have done so.

It looks like you guys had a great hunt.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
For sure you did the right thing. Good job. He not only got first blood it was killing shot (though not a good one). His deer all the way. You get bonus points for helping him get it out of the field.

The one you ended up with isn't bad either and it will probably eat a lot better.

Whatever public land you are on, it sure has a lot of nice bucks on it.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great story, Greer pics, and a great solution to the problem.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well in our club if for some reason someone shoots a deer and it is still up and going then someone else kills to the deer, it's the second guys deer. On the other hand if a deer is down and someone simply finishes it off them it is the original guys deer. Our thinking is that if its still running than one may or mayn't find it. If its already down then ur just helping the guy.
I guess the best rule of thumb is like a guy used to tell me all the time "let your concous be your guide"

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You did right.

And good grief y'all've found a honey hole. Nice bucks all around.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Tough call on that one but you did the honorable thing for sure.

I know some say first blood on a critter, others abide by whoever drops the animal owns it. But in your case good for you, and you guys sure did get some nice deer so congrats!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always take the high road. You acted honorably and were later rewarded with a vey nice buck all your own, instead of one you "finished off".
My hat's off to you & congratulations!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by snubbie
Always take the high road.

Amen to that! I'd like to have a buck for everytime my Dad told me that....grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You did the right thing, if it happens again don't change what you did.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You did the right thing and karma paid you back with a Nice buck! smile

Is this in OK? You have some great ones out there!

Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been there, had it happen.

First guys hit was not a killing hit, mine was. I gave him the deer (and yes, it was a good one too) and never looked back. Killed so many good ones since then that it does not matter. You had no way of knowing it was hit or not before you shot.

You did the right thing and took the high road. You'll never regret it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, i killed a buck that my little brother shot in the azz last week. I saw the buck first, thought it might be a doe with how the horns blended in with the background.

I lowered my rifle to increase the magnification on my scope and he touched one off hitting the deer in the butt. I let him take another shot and he missed. The deer started making his way to the thick stuff in a hurry so i dropped him.

I let him tag the buck as it is his first, but we both know who should have gotten the first shot.

Nice deer though.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice bucks.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
No question you did the right thing.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ya done good in givin and the takin. I know it's tough to handle but I also know you feel better lookin at a mount on the wall and knowing you killed it.

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You did good. That was the right thing to do, and yes, I've been there. It happens.

Am very impressed that you helped the guy so much too. That's real big of you and shows a good heart.

Congrats on YOUR buck too! Chalk the other one up as target practice and doing the right thing.

Guy

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I can't imagine public land where a whole passle of hunters go out and all kill nice mule deer bucks. You did the right thing.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
You did the right thing. Be proud of that.

I just want to say that it helps that HE was decent about it too. When he said "well how are we going to handle this?" instead of "I don't know what you're thinking son, but that is MY deer!" that would have helped make up my mind.

Sounds like two good sportsman crossed paths and the outcome was good for all. Good on you for helping him too.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 56 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,814
Posts18,496,452
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.