Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barak
Those aren't free people, they're government-dependent people who have been abandoned by their nanny.
Are they really?
I thought they were people who buy vital services from mostly private companies whose products or distribution systems have failed, and are now looking to the government for assistance. But since you make that statement, I don't imagine you understand the role of the government or FEMA in the instance of a disaster.

GB1

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I thought they were people who buy vital services from mostly private companies whose products or distribution systems have failed, and are now looking to the government for assistance. But since you make that statement, I don't imagine you understand the role of the government or FEMA in the instance of a disaster.

All true, which makes it difficult to decide whether Barak or Bigbuck215 is the most incorrect.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alot of these government dependent people are people that are friend's of Barak's. You know, welfare dependent types who are potential inmates waiting for their next incarceration.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those aren't free people, they're government-dependent people who have been abandoned by their nanny.
Are they really?

Sure I do. I just read an article about a guy who drove his pickup truck outside the gasoline-starved area and loaded up a bunch of food-grade 5-gallon plastic buckets (because that's what he had) with gasoline to take back in and sell to folks who needed it--that is, an entrepreneur taking the initiative to follow free-market pressures that stimulate distribution by attracting resources from where they're plentiful and cheap to where they're rare and valuable.

The government arrested him for carrying gasoline in unapproved containers and confiscated his cargo.

That's the role of government and FEMA in the instance of a disaster: to frustrate the free market, assault and kill people, and maintain conditions of squalor and dependence for as long as possible.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Sure I do. I just read an article about a guy who drove his pickup truck outside the gasoline-starved area and loaded up a bunch of food-grade 5-gallon plastic buckets (because that's what he had) with gasoline to take back in and sell to folks who needed it--that is, an entrepreneur taking the initiative to follow free-market pressures that stimulate distribution by attracting resources from where they're plentiful and cheap to where they're rare and valuable.

The government arrested him for carrying gasoline in unapproved containers and confiscated his cargo.

That's the role of government and FEMA in the instance of a disaster: to frustrate the free market, assault and kill people, and maintain conditions of squalor and dependence for as long as possible.
Bingo!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are they really?

The private companies haven't failed it's the government and unions who have failed.

If the government and unions would get the hell out of the way mountains could and would be moved by private companies to get things going again. The same thing happened in NO during Katrina. It's always the government that's the stumbling block in these situations NOT private companies.

I realize I'm semi-retired and have the time to listen to radio and read the Internet which probably puts me ahead of the curve.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are they really?

RIGHT ON!!!!!! RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!! YA, SOMEONE WHO HAS IT RIGHT!!!!!

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Made my point for me, thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're only half right. Here it's the union's [bleep] things up to get the power restored.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RDFinn
You're only half right. Here it's the union's [bleep] things up to get the power restored.

I'm not half right I'm one hundred percent right as usual at least in these matters. Governments and unions are criminal enterprises by nature.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude
I'm not half right I'm one hundred percent right as usual at least in these matters. Governments and unions are criminal enterprises by nature.
Legislatively perhaps. But collective bargaining is pure capitalism...supply & demand.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Legislatively perhaps. But collective bargaining is pure capitalism...supply & demand.

Only if the government stays out of it...which the government almost never does.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
In a free market, it would be, but that's not been the case regarding labor relations in the US at least since the Wagner Act of 1935.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In this instance you're half right. I'm not seeing where the gov is blocking power resoration here in NJ. I agree that both are criminal enterprises by nature.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In this instance you're half right. I'm not seeing where the gov is blocking power resoration here in NJ. I agree that both are criminal enterprises by nature.

Well you are closer to the action than I am being about 2500 miles away but from what I understand the government has done nothing to shut down the union from stopping non-union line men from restoring power.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Collective bargaining is not pure capitalism because collective bargaining is based on theft. Nobody is going to consent to theft unless force is employed.

One person starts out with no marbles while the other person has all the marbles. The one who wants the marbles from the one who has the marbles uses force to obtain the marbles. That's not capiltalism pure or other wise.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Collective bargaining is not pure capitalism because collective bargaining is based on theft. Nobody is going to consent to theft unless force is employed.

One person starts out with no marbles while the other person has all the marbles. The one who wants the marbles from the one who has the marbles uses force to obtain the marbles. That's not capiltalism pure or other wise.
Absolutely incorrect. In the context of a free market, labor may coordinate freely in establishing their price (i.e., wage) just as merchants may do so regarding their prices, if they like. By doing this, however, in a free system, both expose themselves to the risk of other workers or merchants undercutting them. What government in the US does, however, is to outlaw the undercutting part, i.e., interfere with the natural operation of the free market establishing prices for labor (i.e., wages).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well you are closer to the action than I am being about 2500 miles away but from what I understand the government has done nothing to shut down the union from stopping non-union line men from restoring power.

In this instance they've done nothing to help or hurt the situation. If they did try to step in you guys would be saying they are evil for stepping in.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Absolutely incorrect. In the context of a free market, labor may coordinate freely in establishing their price (i.e., wage) just as merchants may do so regarding their prices, if they like. By doing this, however, in a free system, both expose themselves to the risk of other workers or merchants undercutting them. What government in the US does, however, is to outlaw the undercutting part, i.e., interfering with natural operation of the free market in the establishment of prices. Wages are merely prices for labor.

As usual I'm right as I almost always am. In the context of a free market there is no such thing as collective bargaining. Collective bargaining requires a group of at least two and when you have at least two force always enters into the collective bargaining.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

In this instance they've done nothing to help or hurt the situation. If they did try to step in you guys would be saying they are evil for stepping in.

I think government is evil anyway but in this case the government has a legitimate function to step in and make the recovery move as fast as possible. But as usual, government is more a problem than a solution.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, Amos63, 30incher, AceBall, 257_X_50, 17 invisible), 1,082 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,979
Posts18,519,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.