Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
E,

I have some thoughts I'll share. First, the elk you are hunting obviously have alot of pressure. Don't expect to be able to pattern them for days. If you put them to bed, be in position there in the afternoon. If you see where they come out to feed at sunset, be there in the am (they won't always travel the same routes but it sounds like you will have an idea where to expect them). If you wait expecting to pattern them someone will blow them out. This might happen regardless. Unless you are up on the mountain after them, you have no chance.

Secondly, wind will change. Don't worry too much on the wind at 3pm--it will likely be different at 6pm up on the mountain. You simply have to roll the dice to some degree. Where I hunt, I have a pretty good idea of which way it will shift. I play a funny game with it where I cannot be in position too soon in some places. Ideally, I want to get in position 10 min before the elk show. I've done that many times. Too soon gives more time for your scent to blow around in my opinion. It is only my opinion, though, and I try not to overthink the wind. I've shot elk on opposing ridgelines downwind.

Finally, ambush position. This is the most important choice. I am confident in my shooting abilities and my partners, so we try to set up with some ground between us and elk. This allows more positions covered as well as helping with wind. My wife punched her tag on opener at an embarassing range, but that was "plan B" (plan A was spoiled by fellow hunters in a rather unreasonable manner). Other times we have accidently been a few yards from them (two years ago on opener I came up the ridge top where I meant to set up only to be about 10 feet from a bedded cow). Ideally, I am 250-300 yds from where they show. To know where to set up, pay close attention to their elevation at the time of day you see them. That elevation is where to expect them--ie don't set up too low in the afternoon or they won't be down to you by dark.

And seriously, use a headlamp.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Come on and shoot one already E!! Waiting for a pic of you beside a hog of a bull.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've never killed an elk where I didn't take a risk to get it done. Sometimes you just have to get in there and make it happen. You can't always hunt aggressively, but sometimes it's called for. Be bold, confident, and assertive. Eat some elk backstrap as a reward.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK E, whats the word?

Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Something must be up.

E, are you okay or exhausted from hauling meat?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BrentD
Something must be up.

E, are you okay or exhausted from hauling meat?

I hope it is hauling meat.

Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hey E, some of us are getting worried. At least I am.

Anyone know what's up with E?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
4 days and we have not heard from him . Hope he is alright.
I was enjoying his writing about his hunt.

Last edited by Slenk; 11/04/12.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I'am with you BWalker, hope all is ok with E.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
E,

Hope all is well my friend.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He probably got tired of everyone telling him he was doing it wrong.

Last edited by bellydeep; 11/05/12.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That would be pretty chickish. Hope that's not the case.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I sent a PM to GSSP asking if he had heard any thing from him.
This is his reply.
Have not heard from E. You might consider contacting mtn view rv park and see if they've seen Rocklin.
I was wondering if there is any members from montana that can check on this.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I keep checking in to see if there are any updates. I hope all is OK and he is dealing with a big bull.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I will give him a call tonight to see how he is doing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will be by Lima on Sunday on my way back to WY. If he's still MIA, let me know. I'll check him.

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm OK, guys. Haven't killed yet, and have been looking pretty hard.
They were where they've been all through the season, Thursday. Friday, I setup on them in the dark, and found them gone. Went back again on Saturday, and they hadn't returned. Spent the day on the mountain and concluded they had moved out. Why, I don't know. I found no fresh sign, no evidences of a kill, and I hadn't seen anybody in there since the previous weekend.
They must leave the area to get water, which they do at night. I've have seen them coming back at dawn, so this isn't a theory. Once before, they decided to show up on another mountain closer to their water source. So, I hit that this morning. There is fresh sign there in the timber. If it's them, they aren't moving as a group anymore. Boy, talk about antler rubs, every see any that are eight feet tall ? I found two this morning that were that tall.
So, I'm going to work that.
The weather is suppose to change drastically Friday and Saturday. Predictions run from 1.5 feet of snow to snow showers.
Snow showers would help alot. But a foot and a half would put me out of bussiness.
I do appreciate the concern fellas. And I also appreciate the advice.
Sorry I've been off line so much. I don't have the energy I had in my 40's and 50's. E

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the update E.
I know what you mean about the energy. At72 lost a lot of mine also but still hunting just not as much.
Good luck !
Slenk

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Lot more people watching this than commenting, and everyone is thinking the same thing. That storm, though, is looking like it is going to do more than 1.5' in the mountains by Saturday . . . Might want to make a move if you can before Thursday night.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hang in there E, wishing you some luck on the hunt.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.