Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
pdkillr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Are there any programs that I can enter data on my reloads to and get close to the velocity? I know it's not going to be exact but close. Looked in reload manuals and they are to vague.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can make a ballistic pendulum.

I made one years ago before the modern chrono's came out.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pdkillr
Are there any programs that I can enter data on my reloads to and get close to the velocity? I know it's not going to be exact but close. Looked in reload manuals and they are to vague.

Make it up! grin

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
well if your rifle is accurate enough you can measure drop from like 200 to 800 yards but that is still kinda if'ee if you can find the "advertised" BC of the bullet you are shooting

Last edited by ldholton; 11/06/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
save and get a chrony. They are not expensive anymore

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you shoot at a large range or club, there will usually be someone their with a crony set up. Offer them ten to twenty dollars to test your load. Obviously, this would be after you have worked up an accurate load to establish long range drop tables and not just playing around while working up loads. If you "take over" someone's valuable range time, you may not be welcome the next time. Given the low prices of good units, you should consider buying one if you have a number of guns and/or plan on doing serious long range shooting.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would do this:

From your cartridge reloading data on the powder manufacturer's website, a velocity range will be listed for your powder charge range and bullet weight.

Make an educated guess at your actual velocity

Go to JBM Ballistics Computer, a free ballistic computer online, enter ACCURATE atmospheric and equipment data and print a drop chart out to 1000 yards.

Go to your club and shoot at known ranges as far out as you can using the printed data. If it is incorrect, adjust your scope till you are making solid hits and notate the correct drop data.

Go back into JBM and adjust the velocity input till drop output matches your actual shooting.

Done.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well that will work great if you have an accurate BC for your bullet. But they have been known to fug a little to sell bullets.

NRA Lifetime Member
P
pdkillr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I like rcamuglia's suggestion, makes sense, but how do I find an accurate BC chart, now?????

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Access to a chrony is too easy get the real numbers and stop guessing.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
JBM has most of the popular bullets listed in a drop down at the top of the page. I've used this method out to 800yds and it will get you on paper. I have a 300yd range at the house and would see how much drop between 100 and 300. Then I would adjust velocity numbers till I came up with the right drop at 300. Yes I know, I need a chrony.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by pdkillr
I like rcamuglia's suggestion, makes sense, but how do I find an accurate BC chart, now?????

It'd be much easier just to find someone with a chrony and shoot a couple of rounds through it. If you're coming through east central mississippi then stop and use mine. It takes me all of 30 seconds to set it up.

P
pdkillr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thanks for all your help, had some cabelas bucks to use and have one on the way!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everything I'm saying here is under the context of Long Range.

You'll find that the more you use the Chrono, the more you really don't need one.

The BC's listed from many sources, whether they be from the manufacturer or a ballistic program's library are accurate. The bullet's BC can vary out of different barrels anyway.

What really matters is how your groups are at long range on paper.

If you have a lot of vertical dispersion, you probably have inconsistent velocity as well as the bullet exiting after the barrel swing has peaked and started down again.

Find a load with zero vertical at long range, ballpark the velocity by using load data and enter everything into your program. Adjust velocity to make actual drop data match the ballistic program's output. You can even tweak the bullet's BC a touch if needed.

I have a Chronograph and use it during development just to determine if the load component combo is giving me the velocity I want and expect. Other than that, the proof is in the shooting.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
You'll find that the more you use the Chrono, the more you really don't need one......

I have a Chronograph and use it during development just to determine if the load component combo is giving me the velocity I want and expect. Other than that, the proof is in the shooting.

I know that what you said was in the context of long range, but how do you get there without first using a chronograph in load development, as you said at the end of your post? Seems to me that whether you need a chronograph all depends on your purpose.

Personally, I'd just buy a chrony and be done with it. Without one you could spend a lot of time messing around developing loads that are accurate at 100 yards only to find out you're not getting the velocities you want once you switch to long range. Versus using a chrony and knowing the velocities right off the bat and switching to a different powder if you're not getting the velocities you want.

You might burn up enough components guessing to pay for a chrony.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I made a search for a chrony on ebay, It took me a couple months but in the end I picked up my chrony F1 new for $50.

For a shooter and reloader, particularly for one that will shoot at long range $50 or $100 for a chrony is money well spent.

Its amazing the number of loads that are 100+ FPS slower or faster than the book suggests. Its just a key item for load devlopment.

When I set mine up at the range its not uncommon to have folks want to shoot over it. I won't let others shoot over it, but I will shoot their rifles over it. I never thought of charging for a velocity check.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Everything I'm saying here is under the context of Long Range.

You'll find that the more you use the Chrono, the more you really don't need one.

The BC's listed from many sources, whether they be from the manufacturer or a ballistic program's library are accurate. The bullet's BC can vary out of different barrels anyway.

What really matters is how your groups are at long range on paper.

If you have a lot of vertical dispersion, you probably have inconsistent velocity as well as the bullet exiting after the barrel swing has peaked and started down again.

Find a load with zero vertical at long range, ballpark the velocity by using load data and enter everything into your program. Adjust velocity to make actual drop data match the ballistic program's output. You can even tweak the bullet's BC a touch if needed.

I have read this reply 6 times now........sorry you have no [bleep] idea of what you are talking about......very funny though grin cry frown

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by noKnees
I made a search for a chrony on ebay, It took me a couple months but in the end I picked up my chrony F1 new for $50.

Sorry you wasted $50 on worthless POF......save a few more $ and get a real chronograph ,get an Oehler or keep guessing

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How do you know if the chrono is accurate? How do you calibrate it?

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,168
Posts18,503,103
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.