-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I picked up a very nice late-60's Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag. I got it cheap because the dealer said it wouldn't chamber a round. I took my chances and bought the rifle. I have experience with crowning, bedding, triggers, etc.. But I had to back up and punt on this problem. Any ideas? I've tried using a cleaning from the muzzle end to push it out. It just slides right past the casing. Any help would be appreciated. I'll check the headspacing as soon as I get the case out.

Thank God for Mississippi!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How are you at making a chamber cast? Carefully push a patch from the muzzle end towards the chamber and stop when it's about where the throat would be. Pour a little Cerrosafe into the chamber and knock it out, "carefully", so as not to damage the crown.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
i had a couple of seperated cases in my 300 win. mag.
i took the bolt out took my shotgun rod with a 12ga. bristle brush shoved it into the separated case and jerked it back out,2or 3 times that iknow of.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just tried the 12 gauge shotgun bristle brush and it did not work. I dont have any cerrosafe on hand.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How about using lead instead of cerrosafe?

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have used the plastic anchors that you use in walls to hang pictures etc. you will need a long screw to expand the petals in the stuck case. I cut threads on a rod about 14 inches long and put double nuts on the outboard end so I could turn it with a wrench or socket. When the anchor is expanded pull on the rod and the case usually comes out.

Carl

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
ok,try some wd-40 or liquid wrench in the back of the chamber and try the 12ga. brush again, when i done mine i shoved the brush into the neck of the case so the brisles would have more to catch hold of. midway or brownells make stuck case removers. good luck, let the penatrater set for a while .muzzle down.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Order some Cerrosafe and follow Malm's advise. BTDT.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
put it in your freezer for a day or so then run hot water over outside of chamber. run a tight brush down the barrel from muzzle and it will fall out most of the time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 7mmaniac
How about using lead instead of cerrosafe?

Forget the lead, get yourself some Cerrosafe. It will come in handy later anyway.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have used the deep freeze method before. I also used a small propane torch to cook out any oil or grease first. After the heat I did an over night in the deep freeze and then a bore snake or brush while the barrel was warming. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The nice thing about Cerrosafe is it melts below 190F so if you mess up you don't have to cook anything to get it out. You can make a plug in the case out of epoxy resin but if you goof you've got more of a problem.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I think that I've posted this before, but here it goes again.

Use automotive body putty, and no I don't mean bondo. Automotive body putty is purchased in a box of strips from the various people in your area that sell paint and painting supplies to auto body shops. It comes in a box, and cosists of ropes about 1/4 inch in diameter, and 8 inches long. It is packed in layers (about 4 or 5) with wax paper between them so that layers don't stick together. Body putty is stuck in the seams of your car like where the floor pan meets the firewall, and then painted over. It is very sticky and seems oily. I also use it for a filler when glass bedding. It reminds me of an old fashioned home weather striping product that was called Mortite.

Wipe out the stuck case's inside with a clean, dry patch, and plug a wad of body putty into it. Push the case out with a blut ram rod from the muzzle.

A few years back Brownells awarded me a chit for submitting the info as a "Gunsmith Kink." I guess they still want to sell separated case extractors. I sent them some to play with, and a copy of the box. You figure. Maybe they just don't want to stock it. My current box happens to be made by 3M. A box cost about $8.00. Buy a box and split it with a friend....

I carry a pill bottle with wad of it in my range gear, and think it would be a great asset to take on a hunt away from home. Hint. Hint.

It workds great with my over used Guide Gun 45/70 cases.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Can do the same thing with epoxy putty stick, the kind that comes in a plastic tube. There's 5 minute and 15 minute, get the 15 minute. Cut off about half an inch and knead it to mix it, then roll it between your palms to get a cylinder slightly smaller than the inside of the case. Put the epoxy into the case and push in with a cut off pencil, or something similar of the right diameter and length. You'll feel some resistance when the putty hits the case shoulder and deforms to fill the case. Stop and let it set up, then put a cleaning rod in from the muzzle and pop the case out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 3,982 guests, and 712 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,813
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.