Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by GSSP
I LOVE Utah and yes I OC, EVERY day. This will be me tomorrow am after I walk out of my local elementary school where I vote.
Alan
[Linked Image]

....Alan, my guess is that even in Utah if you go into an elementary school and polling place on election day armed, you'll be walking out in handcuffs. Of course, I could be wrong.

If you have an "enhanced" carry permit in MS, you can

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Boococky

No such thing in Florida. When I was in New York, I came across lots of folks who had what amounted to an enhanced permit, i.e., a deputy sheriff badge. They weren't salaried by the Sheriff's Office and performed no duties, but knew people in the department willing to deputize them just so they could carry anywhere they wanted and didn't have to worry about the silly restrictions placed on CCW permits by the various and sundry issuing authorities throughout the state.

In my opinion, that should be the standard concealed carry license, and there shouldn't be any need for an enhanced one, since they have already checked you out before issuing the permit anyway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Boococky

No such thing in Florida. When I was in New York, I came across lots of folks who had what amounted to an enhanced permit, i.e., a deputy sheriff badge. They weren't salaried by the Sheriff's Office and performed no duties, but knew people in the department willing to deputize them just so they could carry anywhere they wanted and didn't have to worry about the silly restrictions placed on CCW permits by the various and sundry issuing authorities throughout the state.

In my opinion, that should be the standard concealed carry license, and there shouldn't be any need for an enhanced one, since they have already checked you out before issuing the permit anyway.

They just passed the law a little over a year ago

to obtain a reg permit in MS, all you have to do is fill out paperwork, pay the fee, and get fingerprinted....no class, no qualifications

the "enhanced permit" is issued once you pay to take a class and qualify at a range

The enhancement lets you carry EVERYWHERE except police stations and federal places like post offices and airports

you can carry at schools, bars, parks, churches, polling places, stadiums, ect ect

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by LarryfromBend
I only open carry around the farm or in country where people are few and far between. I don't think OC is a wise option otherwise.
I can. For example, there are arsonous riots going on, and heading your way. You want them to see that folks in your neighborhood are prepared to repel them, if need be.

Also, you and your family are moving from your old house in Miami to your new house in Tallahassee, and in the truck you have your fifty thousand dollar firearms collection, and fifty thousand dollars worth of silver and gold. At gas stops and such, it seems to me you might want to send the signal, when you all dismount, that you folks are prepared to repel carjack attempts. Avoid the trouble before it happens that way.

I see your point, but, the training I have in CC is unambiguous in teaching that I'm better off if the carjacker, robber, etc ... doesn't know I'm armed until I'VE MADE THE DECISION to make it known (IE... By drawing and firing).

Not saying that's a golden rule ---- but it's what I've been taught.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I LOVE Utah and yes I OC, EVERY day. This will be me tomorrow am after I walk out of my local elementary school where I vote.
Alan
[Linked Image]

....Alan, my guess is that even in Utah if you go into an elementary school and polling place on election day armed, you'll be walking out in handcuffs. Of course, I could be wrong.

Literally standing next to UHP about to vote in elementary school RIGHT NOW!!!

Alan

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by derby_dude
See reply to George.

Cite your source. Anecdotal evidence (talking to a few LEOs) means about as much as what you think (or even IF you think) - nothing. Direct me to a scientifically conducted survey of LEOs working in the inner cities asking them about their perception of an armed, law abiding citizenry. I'd like to read it and examine their survey instrument and the methodology of the application of the instrument. Additionally, I'd be very interested in the conclusions of the PhD(s) who conducted the survey.

Otherwise, as Travis put it; how the [bleep] would you know what an LEO thinks?

You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to my opinion which is based on my experience. I will admit that the politicians are more of the problem than the police but the police do after all work for the politicians.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There has been more than one case where a person was attacked and killed because they were open carrying. Criminals actually targeted these citizens! Criminals are not impressed by seeing some one with a gun on their hip. They practice in prison learning to disarm people and get pretty good at it. Sure open carry will scare old ladies and liberals.
Anyone who carries a firearm concealed or opened carry, firearm retention is a real concern! If you think otherwise you are delusional. Most are not trained, physically capable, or aware to prevent such a premeditated attack.
Where do you think a confrontation takes place at? Its usually fairly close (feet), in low light conditions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like it

But I like CCW to

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Alan

.....well I can certainly see why you'd love Utah! :-)

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by derby_dude
You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to my opinion which is based on my experience. I will admit that the politicians are more of the problem than the police but the police do after all work for the politicians.

In other words, you are basing your opinion on anecdotal evidence. How many LEOs do you know? How many of them expressed reservations about having law abiding citizens armed?

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Alan

.....well I can certainly see why you'd love Utah! :-)

I'm not in Kansas......

Took this pic right after I exited the polls in front of our local elem school. My new "I voted" sticker on my holster.

On another note, I truly appreciate the willingness of many here to verbally suport us who choose to OC, our free agency to do so; even if they feel otherwise.

[Linked Image]

Within days of my son starting both elem as well as Jr High, I walked in to the principals office and introduced myself and my 1911 to give them headups that they would see me and mine frequently. Has never been an issue.

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 11/07/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Esox357
There has been more than one case where a person was attacked and killed because they were open carrying.

Just for the record, would you be kind enough to cite three examples where this happened to a private citizen?

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Took this pic right after I exited the polls in front of our local elem school. My new "I voted" sticker on my holster.

On another note, I truly appreciate the willingness of many here to verbally suport us who choose to OC, our free agency to do so; even if they feel otherwise.

[Linked Image]

Within days of my son starting both elem as well as Jr High, I walked in to the principals office and introduced myself and my 1911 to give them headups that they would see me and mine frequently. Has never been an issue.

....well, I'm impressed, Alan.
.....do many businesses post in Utah? Can you carry in bars, etc.? If you're Mormon, it's a moot point but I've heard that the % on non-LDS residents in Utah has increased substantially.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Read the second amendment. Its our right! CHL? BULLS###, another tab kept on us...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

[Linked Image]

....well, I'm impressed, Alan.
.....do many businesses post in Utah? Can you carry in bars, etc.? If you're Mormon, it's a moot point but I've heard that the % on non-LDS residents in Utah has increased substantially.

About the only business's that I see posted are the shopping malls and the theaters. Even if caught OC'ing or CC'ing, if asked to leave and refusing, it's a trespass charge, not a firearm charge. And, for stated reason's, I don't go into bars so couldn't comment on them. Hey, we had 29% vote for Obama yesterday. mad

Alan

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Were I free to choose, I'd carry concealed most of the time. Open carry would be reserved exclusively for instances where an open show of preparedness would seem advantageous.

When is a show of preparedness not advantageous?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Were I free to choose, I'd carry concealed most of the time. Open carry would be reserved exclusively for instances where an open show of preparedness would seem advantageous.

When is a show of preparedness not advantageous?
True. I should have said "particularly advantageous."

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i see no reason to carry a gun openly. why would one want to give away any advantage should a dangerous situation develop? why become the first target? just doesn't make any sense to me. ymmv.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm all for non-LEOs carrying in what ever manner they choose, as long as it's legal. As a Deputy in Texas, I went to the DPS Headquarters and received the training to become a CC instructor. I paid for it all on my dime. I believe strongly in a person's right to protect themselves with the most efficient, effective means reasonably possible.

With that said, I believe a non-LEO should really stick to carrying concealed, and pull the firearm out if needed. LEOs carry open for the most part. There is a social stigma against shooting an LEO. Whether you agree with me or not is immaterial. Bad guys know if they shoot a LEO their days of freedom, even life, are going to be short and violent. A dead LEO receives much more, much much more investigative manpower, time and intensity than the killing of a non-LEO. It's not fair, but, it's the truth. Additionally, killing a LEO or Firefighter in the line of duty carries the Death Penalty in most states.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
A dead LEO receives much more, much much more investigative manpower, time and intensity than the killing of a non-LEO. It's not fair, but, it's the truth.
If I had asserted that, I'd have been hit with a barrage of angry denials from the cops of the Fire.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,771
Posts18,515,571
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.