Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
I shot a small whitetail doe yesterday in my home state of Minnesota. It was broadside at about 30 yards, and I was using my 375 H&H with a 235 grain Speer hot-cor bullet travelling around 2600fps. I hit perfectly at the top of the heart and when the deer fell I noticed the entrance wound had smoke pouring out of it. I have never seen this before, can anyone explain? At 30 yards I have a hard time believing there was any gas from the cartridge following the bullet that far. It was very humid and windy. I am sure it was not steam, it was thick smoke pouring out. Friction?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man, you need to stop 'shroom gathering prior to the hunt.....but seriously, I would have no idea.

It's not the destination...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Smoke? No way. I see you're in AK so I assume it was a bit chilly out. The humidity inside a deer is very high and the moisture in the air was condensing as it escaped the wound. It's just like seeing your breath on a cold day.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Smoke? No way. I see you're in AK so I assume it was a bit chilly out. The humidity inside a deer is very high and the moisture in the air was condensing as it escaped the wound. It's just like seeing your breath on a cold day.

I am in northern Minnesota and it's raining and mild. I certainly did not watch steam come out, it was smoke. It was also so windy out you couldn't see your breath.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by IslandFirearmCoatings
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I am in northern Minnesota and it's raining and mild. I certainly did not watch steam come out, it was smoke. It was also so windy out you couldn't see your breath.

It's condensation - fog actually. The humidity is probably close to 100%. The warmer, moister air, exits the body and condenses when it hits the cooler, moist air outside the body.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was your ammo from Acme?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not smoke, just like when you can see your breath. I've seen it several times. Warm, moist air hits cold air and there you have it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tracer?

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Internal compbustion?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's no possible way it could be smoke unless the deer was on fire. When a bullet leaves the barrel, all combustibles are either burned up or dissipate to the side. Nothing but bullet exists a yard beyond the muzzle.

― George Orwell

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
seen it too, on deer and moose and it was steam. was the exit steaming too?

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen that too. Even down here in warm Texas as long as the outside temp is less than the internal temp of the deer it can and will happen. Surprises you until you have seen it enough.

Quando Omni Moritati
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It was smoke. From the train coming through the tunnel you blew through the deer. .375 on a little doe? Wow!

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't seen it from a bullet hole, but I have many times when I open a gut. I butchered a goat a couple days ago when it was about 40F. I got all kinds of steam when I opened it up.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot a small whitetail doe yesterday in my home state of Minnesota. It was broadside at about 30 yards, and I was using my 375 H&H with a 235 grain Speer hot-cor bullet travelling around 2600fps. I hit perfectly at the top of the heart and when the deer fell I noticed the entrance wound had smoke pouring out of it. I have never seen this before, can anyone explain? At 30 yards I have a hard time believing there was any gas from the cartridge following the bullet that far. It was very humid and windy. I am sure it was not steam, it was thick smoke pouring out. Friction?

I'm curious, not being critical at all...just curious, why a 375 H&H for deer?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by setch

why not....the 375 will tear up less meat than some of the rounds throwing bullets alot faster....i used a 375WSM one year, heavy bullet at moderate velocity, i didnt connect with it but my brother did and was pleased with the outcome...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Perhaps you caught her lighting up little skinny cigar.

Steam.

stumpy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by setch

why not....the 375 will tear up less meat than some of the rounds throwing bullets alot faster....i used a 375WSM one year, heavy bullet at moderate velocity, i didnt connect with it but my brother did and was pleased with the outcome...

Cool...if the answer is 'why not' then I get it. Not being judgemental, just wondering, and I'm all about freedom of choice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lmao thinking about the OP standing over the deer just awestruck looking at the "smoke" then the rifle in his hands, the back to the smoking carcass back to rifle with a "HOLY SHlT" look on his face

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll bet the 'smoke' smelled a lot more like blood or bowel than gunpowder.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 23 invisible), 1,822 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,652
Posts18,512,756
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.