Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
204guy Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
Last day of the season stumbled into this buck. I Was in an area thinking I might find a whitetail when I jumped this buck in some head high sage brush. He bounded off but made the mistake of stopping to look back at about 150yds. With no rest available I had no choice but to shoot offhand. At the shot he stumbled a few steps and fell. I guess all the offhand practice with the 22 this summer paid off, as that is by far the farthest offhand shot I've felt comfortable taking.
[Linked Image]

When I walked up to him I could see a massive wound on his rear ham. Initially I thought someone had wounded him with a rifle.

[Linked Image]

Closer inspection showed that the wound was at least a few weeks old. It was somewhat scabbed had a fowl odor and there were maggots in some of it. No idea what caused it.

[Linked Image]
Closer inspection showed that the wound was at least a few weeks old. It was somewhat scabbed had a fowl odor and there were maggots in some of it. No idea what caused it.

I took the other three quarters off of him but I'm not sure if I should keep them or not? They seem to be okay, but I'm not sure. Is it safe to eat?

Details:
LH Rifles INC.
120 ttsx
Leupold vx-3 3.5-10
He was slightly quartering to, bullet entered just in front of near shoulder and exited through the off shoulder. Found 1 petal in the exit wound,the rest exited. Traveled 10 yds after the shot.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks like an old shot with a small caliber rifle.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does look like an old rifle wound, someone must have clipped him. Nice buck though, glad you got him.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A few years ago a buddy of mine killed a buck in Idaho that had a nasty gore wound through a ham that went clear though, took off a testicle, and punctured the guts. The wounds were festered and stunk to high heaven, but the buck never showed any sign of being injured prior to being shot. He was chasing does like there was no tomorrow. We spoke to the local game warden after he killed it and he said no way would he eat and no way they would require him to salvage the meat, stating it likely had infection throughout it.

I wouldn't chance it with a wound like that.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow, that would be a surprise. yeah it does look like a gun shot wound, I was looking at wolf kills last night on the web & there were a few carcasses that looked real similar to that; had the hindquarters bitten out of it

For I am not ashamed
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't eat it...not worth the risk.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot a buck with a 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip with my 30.06 in a similar spot resulting with a nearly identical wound. Had to shoot him twice to kill him as the first wasn't lethal just a mess. Haven't used BT's since on big game.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If he's still moving when you shot him (sounds like he was), it should be ok. I think the risk is gang-green, but if it had infected the entire set of meat, I doubt he would be moving thyrough the woods too well.

204guy Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
It goes against my moral hunting fiber to not eat this deer, but with 4 elk in the freezer I certainly don't need the meat. I guess I can feel better knowing I did him a favor, I doubt he would have survived the winter.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
With that wound, there's no way I would eat the meat with an empty freezer. Morals, which I share with you, are one thing. Getting sick off tainted meat is another. Not only did he have to get over a major injury, he had to battle a pretty nasty infection as well. More than likely you prevented him from a slow, miserable death.

Don't beat yourself up. Unfortunately these things happen from time to time.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I feel the same way about letting the meat go to waste, but I wouldn't take a chance with you and your families health. It is one of those unfortunate things that happens. He would have had a tough winter ahead of him had you not seen him.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Either way you decide to go 204guys, nobody could question you. It's a tough call I hope I never have to make. Your morals should be intact regardless...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Looks like an old shot with a small caliber rifle.

223AI by the looks of it. That's why I use a 22/250.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mikeymjr23
I wouldn't eat it...not worth the risk.

A few years ago, a friend of mine wounded (lower leg) a nice 6pt buck early in the week. We went back for it on Sat. the same week and I ended up shooting it. I cut it up for him after hanging it a few days and gave him the entire lot of cuts. Meat looked fine, smelled fine, everything fine, but his family barfed after eating it. He thought maybe a touch of the flu, so ate some more. They all barfed again. He tossed it. No one barfed after that.

Taken with a 22/250 & 70gr Speers BTW. grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 204guy
It goes against my moral hunting fiber to not eat this deer, but with 4 elk in the freezer I certainly don't need the meat. I guess I can feel better knowing I did him a favor, I doubt he would have survived the winter.

Before you got to dumping that deers meat in the trash, you probably better contact the local game warden, just so there's no confusion later and you find yourself charged with abandoning game meat.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What Ranch13 says...some have no sense of humor.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Originally Posted by 204guy

Before you got to dumping that deers meat in the trash, you probably better contact the local game warden, just so there's no confusion later and you find yourself charged with abandoning game meat.

Yeah he may even replace the tag for you...

I sure wouldn't eat that though!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your Life, Your Choice.

If it were me, kick some leaves on it and say a blessing and move on. Our local game warden will replace a tag on such an instance. You did this deer a favor.

CK
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
204, that's a cool buck. Congrats. And like you, I think I'd have to at least give the meat a go before tossing all of it.
Although not from the infected area. <grins>

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
Your Life, Your Choice.

If it were me, kick some leaves on it and say a blessing and move on.

That will add wanton destruction to the abandonment of game, you'll loose your rifle , the vehicle you drove to the hunting area, a batch of cash, and probably at least 3 years of hunting and fishing priviledges, plus attorney's fee's and court costs.
Turn it into the Game and Fish, and don't worry about any charges being filed. You won't get another license but at least you'll probably get to keep the antlers.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,844
Posts18,496,917
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.