Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Our public range east of town has been trashed..holes shot though the shelter, seats from the benches used as targets, old tires thrown everywhere, toilets, computers, even an old bath tube have been shot up at the range an left..it is a trash dump..The first bullet holes appeared with days of completion of the bldg..Idiots throw down cans, bottles etc. and shoot at them on the hard ground..bullets bouncing everywhere..It is just a matter of time til it is closed..Fortunately, we have the funds to build a new range and have a private or a least a managed shooting facility..People are absolute morons..

We cleared a 400yd strip below our camp several years ago and I built a good bench, which we concreted into the ground. Prior to that, I used a portable bench, made with plans that bxroads once sold here on the classifieds. I'd shoot on pipelines or wherever folks would let me. Up through highschool, we shot at the local range/dump that was much like the one you described. We would see washers and dryers, old refridgerators, dishwashers, all kinds of cans and bottles, even auto body parts. The only good thing anybody ever brought was a box of old bowling pins, which lasted quite a while. The strangest was a large console TV with a pink douchebag taped to the busted screen. We got a big kick out of that one....

Now with even more aplomb
HR IC

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Who hasn't wanted to bust a cap on some douchebag on TV? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice follow-through on that setup! Lol.....

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
It's why I never go to a public range..

The only good public range I've ever been to was in Mosinee, WI. It's truly run like a range should be. It's VERY reasonable to shoot at. There is a rangemaster on duty at all times and they do their jobs well. It's a great facility and would literally bring MILLIONS in profit if it was near a larger city. Though, then it wouldn't probably be as cool of a place.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Not a danger but I did have someone ask me about my GPS setup and what it was used for. The GPS setup was a chronograph.....

Had a guy sweep the entire line with a 12 gauge at a turkey shoot once, I was the only guy to immediately drop to the ground when the barrel came swinging around.

I hate folks in gunshops etc always pointing guns at you, as if the apparent fact that it is unloaded makes it alright.

As a whole I dislike the majority of 'gun' guys.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Forgot one, hows about the guy that wanted to put on a leather glove and wrap his hand around the factory Pendleton brake on my 460 WBY barrel to see if it kicked me any harder when fired. shocked

What AFDA.

Gunner

Trump Won!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Shoulda let him. grin

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
There was a range I visited outside of Woodland, California. I was shooting with a couple family members. Im looking threw the scope and I here a swoooooosh. I open both eyes just in time to see a sky diver land right in the middle of their 100yd range! There is a skydiving school next door and this guy was a little off course. Good thing we were not shooting skeet...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who puts a skydiving school next to a shooting range? That's really stupid. Just noticed that you mentioned it was in California.....

Saw a video once where a sky diver screwed up and landed in a fenced croc or gator pond. It did not end well...

Last edited by JPro; 11/14/12.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tzone
Shoulda let him. grin

I went to the truck and got a roll of duct tape and made about 5 wraps around the brake then fired it.

I said see, that could have been your hand, he said, oh no, my leather glove is tougher than that tape. crazy

I said, Son, please dont play with guns and go read up on vasectomy, would ya?................WHAAAAAATTT????, he said. eek

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot at a public range and it can get a bit...interesting at times. Mostly, it's really well run though. It is always staffed with two or more range officers. They are usually fairly strict without being jerks about it. The main range has 30 bays, and two officers can run it fine but often they will have three and, sometimes, four.

Even with good range officers you can still get a dipwad next to you. I usually like to go right at opening on Saturday morning. You get about 2 hours of good shooting before the yahoos arrive. Or just go in the winter when there is a couple of feet of snow on the ground and it's 0-20* F outside. Usually only the die-hards show up then...

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
This isn't so much unsafe but shows the stupidity of people.

I rarely visit the local range usually do my shooting in the woods. The range I do go to every so often has steel targets at 100 meter increments shaped as different animal silhouettes. One of the silhouettes is a chicken. Everybody is allowed to shoot the steel silhouettes. Anyways we were at the range one day and my brother went up to the bench got set up and started shooting the steel. He shot one of the chickens. At that point a guy gets up and walks down to us and starts yelling at my brother about shooting his chicken. He brought it from home etc... My brother said okay, sorry I won't shoot it again. Between that point and the time the guy left he had about 5 other confrontations with people over shooting his chicken that was exactly the same as all the other chickens on either side of it.

He was just beside himself as to why someone would shoot his chicken.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had a guy next to me put his rest bag full of plastic beads right under the muzzle of his barrel. Might have been ok but it was a 30-378 weatherby with a factory brake. He pulled the trigger and plastic beads flew everywhere. Several hit my face, neck and arms. It looked like I had the chicken pox with little red welts everywhere.

He hardly even said sorry and then went on to brag about how powerful his rifle was and that it could kill an elk at a mile. I asked how it can kill an elk at a mile when it can't hit a target at 100 yards. Then he was pissed and I was the bad guy.

Bb

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I haven't had any range issues but I shoot a well regulated range. I was in a gun shop a while back when two challenged individuals came in with a Marlin that they said wouldn't fire. The guy holding it said "see" as pulled the trigger and shot a hole in the roof. All three of us helped him out the door. I know you can't fix stupid but there sure seems to be a bunch of it in recent years.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Not a danger but I did have someone ask me about my GPS setup and what it was used for. The GPS setup was a chronograph.....

Had a guy sweep the entire line with a 12 gauge at a turkey shoot once, I was the only guy to immediately drop to the ground when the barrel came swinging around.

I hate folks in gunshops etc always pointing guns at you, as if the apparent fact that it is unloaded makes it alright.

As a whole I dislike the majority of 'gun' guys.

Sad but true, regardless of guns, I find it very hard to not dislike the majority... whistle

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Had sight-in days at my club this past weekend. One of the members was heard to say that he had never seen so much defective equipment in the posession of people that do not know how to use it and can't follow the simplest of instructions.

That's the reason I stick to private ranges.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I shoot at the free public range run by SC DNR in Pickens and have never had a problem. They have a pretty good range officer that spends enough time on the line to keep it orderly.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The public range in VA where I usew to shoot wa unsupervised. No one took care of the range. People left all their trash, shot up the port john and DNR finally had enough and closed the range. I'm in SC now in Sumter and shoot at the DNR range here. The range is clean, range saftey officers are present and supervise hot,cold and cease-fire on each range. Shooters with semi-autos must hold a full second between rounds. Saw two shooter get tossed off the range for not following instructions. So far I am impressed with their efforts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had to quit my Shooting club because of nonsense like that posted above at our private range. I just got tired of all of the safety violations, dimwads that didn't know how to use a range, and members not keeping track of their guests who were quite often breaking every safety rule, even with signs at almost every bench explaining what to do during cease fires, etc...

I'm a little nervous to use public ranges after some of the stories my buddies have told me. I know of at least two public ranges in this area that have been closed down due to vandalism and safety issues.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wingnut53,
You stationed @ Shaw?
The DNR range is well run, they do a nice job there.
I lived in Sumter 2002-2003; nice town, very nice people.

Semper Fi
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 270cowboy, 57 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,428
Posts18,489,229
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.