-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here in Okla., Hostess told the unions they had until today (Thursday 11/15/2012), to either accept their offer, or they would shut the doors. Also Okla. is in the process of eliminating the WIC program. Not sure about the feasibility of dropping WIC, I'm pretty sure there are some that actually "need"it.

"If you don't stand up for what you believe,,you stand for nothing"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gkdir
Here in Okla., Hostess told the unions they had until today (Thursday 11/15/2012), to either accept their offer, or they would shut the doors. Also Okla. is in the process of eliminating the WIC program. Not sure about the feasibility of dropping WIC, I'm pretty sure there are some that actually "need"it.

I actually don't mind the wic program. Unless it's different from state to state (thought it was federal) the items you receive through it are very limited and directed specifically at young kids.

For example, in Ca, you can get formula, cheese, milk, cereal, and eggs. Think that's it. Way better than most other welfare programs.

And I think Hostess should shut their doors if the unions don't agree to something. Maybe by Hostess doing this, it'll send a message to all unions that times really are tough. You can't just refuse to work and try to hold a company hostage. It's the equivalent of a three year old stomping his feet and crying when he don't get what he wants.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by rem141r
waaaa, i'm entitled to a living, waaaaa.

go to college or tech school dumbass and you won't be sucking on the unions teet to make a living.
&

I have a B.S degree in Agrisciene and Masters degree in Admisistration and work a union job. Unions are as american as apple pie while fundamentally flawed by the same find of do nothings that flaw our country they are a neccessary evil without there organization 100 years ago we would still be working 16 hours a day 7 days a week and still owe our soles to the company store. so go to tech school DUMBASS and graduate get out and earn you a 35,000 dollar a year living or join the ibew,ironworkers,steelworkers,etc and make a 75,000 or 100,000 dollar a year living I can garantee you an union apprentice is far better trained than a tech school grad trained on a goverment subsidy that prints diplomas

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Have any non-union companies ever closed?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
jcdixon77, I believe you have the right to believe what you wish, along with that I can to, and I believe your opinion about unions is one of the biggest piles of crap I have ever read.

NRA Benefactor life member
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I wonder how good a job Union leaders are doing, in keeping the rank and file informed about negotiations, and about the reality of the situation?
For the guy in the video to be so astounded by the plant closure, I'd venture to guess that the Union higher ups were no better at communicating with the workers, than plant management were.

Sam......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
The nurses at a Central Oregon hospital voted to decertify after one year of union membership.
They didn't see the value of paying dues for nothing.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jcdixon77

go to college or tech school dumbass and you won't be sucking on the unions teet to make a living.
&

I have a B.S degree in Agrisciene and Masters degree in Admisistration and work a union job. Unions are as american as apple pie while fundamentally flawed by the same find of do nothings that flaw our country they are a neccessary evil without there organization 100 years ago we would still be working 16 hours a day 7 days a week and still owe our soles to the company store. so go to tech school DUMBASS and graduate get out and earn you a 35,000 dollar a year living or join the ibew,ironworkers,steelworkers,etc and make a 75,000 or 100,000 dollar a year living I can garantee you an union apprentice is far better trained than a tech school grad trained on a goverment subsidy that prints diplomas

Did you attend union college - can you get a refund? wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
here's the question for all you Union Stalwarts.

If Unions are so good and necessary, how come i am FORCED BY LAW to join one in order TO MAKE A LIVING.

I have no problem with unions, as long as companies can hire non-union workers. it is 100% BS to tell me that unions are so necessary when you have to force people to join them in order to earn a living.

in other words, if a person wants to join a labor union, this is America and that person should be able to do that.

BUT, if a business does not want to hire you because you're union, they should also be able to do that.

i personally think forcing a person to pay union dues in order to make a living should be a literal crime.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I wonder how good a job Union leaders are doing, in keeping the rank and file informed about negotiations, and about the reality of the situation?
For the guy in the video to be so astounded by the plant closure, I'd venture to guess that the Union higher ups were no better at communicating with the workers, than plant management were.

Informed? LOL! I'll bet those union buggers were lying to them telling them that Hostess was bluffing and had cash coming out of their ears!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JOG

&

Did you attend union college - can you get a refund? wink
ROTFLMAO.... TOUCHE!!

Originally Posted by smalljawbasser
here's the question for all you Union Stalwarts.

If Unions are so good and necessary, how come i am FORCED BY LAW to join one in order TO MAKE A LIVING.

I eagerly await THAT answer...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I can garantee you an union apprentice is far better trained than a tech school grad trained on a goverment subsidy that prints diplomas

as somebody who works with C.W.A. people on a hands-on, technical level, this is 100% not accurate. there are some CL Union members who are better than anybody, and some who are complete and total [bleep] ups who have a job ONLY because they are Union protected.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I worked for a large multinational company back in the late 70's/early 80's, the plant had IAM and warehouse Teamsters. Machinist Union went out on strike for 12 weeks during which time the Teamsters honored the picket line and were also out of work for 12 weeks. Machinist's wetn back to work for the same offer that was on the table at the time the strike vote was taken. Time for the Teamster's contract to be negotiated and they also voted to strike. Both units lost 24 weeks pay (strike pay at that time was $100/week) and went back for the same offer. Made no sense at all to me, though the prevaililng mindset amoung the rank and file was that as long as they had money for beer and cigarettes they didn't care. Can you spell S-T-U-P-I-D! don't think they cared much less gave a sh_t.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Exactly. The company was giving them a choice. A job with lower pay and less benefits while they try to regroup or no job. They decided to force the issue and call the company's bluff. They got "B", no job. Now they're angry. They wanted to play hardball and lost.

Same thing happened at the steel company my Dad worked 25 years for. He was a sales guy and moved on. If you were a labor member in Ambridge or Beaver Falls PA, well, lotsa luck.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Unions absolutely were necessary and still are.

I have no problem with a company asking the Union and Union employees to take a pay cut to save jobs and save the industry, etc.

Although, in 100% of the cases, its fair to note that the major decisions on how the industry is run...are NOT made by Union Members...its all Management.

When a company like hostess is filing for Chapter 11, there is no fuggin' doubt that there has been misMANAGEMENT taking place.

I also believe its only fair that the entire plant takes a pay hit and they all lose pay, benefits, bonus's and share the pain equally. Funny thing is though, in nearly every case the Company/Management dont take a pay cut, their benefits arent cut, and typically they dont lose bonus pay, etc.

Even more compelling is when a company is posting record profits and things are going well...the company is pretty slow in sharing in those good times.

Companies are notorious for asking their employees to "share" the bad times at the first hint of trouble...but really slow to "share" the good.

FACT.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BuzzH
Unions absolutely were necessary and still are.

I have no problem with a company asking the Union and Union employees to take a pay cut to save jobs and save the industry, etc.

Although, in 100% of the cases, its fair to note that the major decisions on how the industry is run...are NOT made by Union Members...its all Management.

When a company like hostess is filing for Chapter 11, there is no fuggin' doubt that there has been misMANAGEMENT taking place.

I also believe its only fair that the entire plant takes a pay hit and they all lose pay, benefits, bonus's and share the pain equally. Funny thing is though, in nearly every case the Company/Management dont take a pay cut, their benefits arent cut, and typically they dont lose bonus pay, etc.

Even more compelling is when a company is posting record profits and things are going well...the company is pretty slow in sharing in those good times.

Companies are notorious for asking their employees to "share" the bad times at the first hint of trouble...but really slow to "share" the good.

FACT.

Who says companies need to share the good with employees? You are entitled to what YOU earn and have accepted as pay/benefits from the employer. To accept a job and then bitch because you don't make enough or think the company owes you more is just excuses of the lazy. There is always a choice, you want better for you and your family, get off your arse and make it better. No one is stopping you.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This is one of the funniest posts I have seen in a longgggg time!

I would love to know where those "Agrisciene" and "Admisistration" degrees came from....so I can steer my kids clear of that institution of um, higher learning! Talk about torching your own credibility before you even start your argument! Wow. I believe you missed a bunch of mistakes JOG...do you have to pay extra for periods on this forum?

Still waiting to hear why the law mandates union membership. C'mon union shills, let's hear your great answer to that one!

A company is responsible to its shareholders, not the union. A simple statement, but it needs to be really understood.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fact:

If the company you work for is not making money off of you, your job is temporary, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR TITLE IS!!!

CK
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
Fact:

If the company you work for is not making money off of you, your job is temporary, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR TITLE IS!!!

AND THAT GENTLEMEN IS THE BOTTOM LINE

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BuzzH

FACT.

would you care to post the source of these particular "facts"?

cause i'm calling BS on ALL of it. if you want to put your capitol at risk, and your neck on the line in the good old US of A as I know it, YOU get to decide what's fair.

1. YOU have no idea what MANAGEMENT does or does not share in. I can tell you with a certainty, that management at my company (non-union BTW) went without raises far longer than workers did during the downturn.

2. The reason that Union companies MAY not completely share and share alike during your so-called "good times" is that the UNIONS have a CONTRACT that doesn't differentiate between BAD and GOOD times. It's pay me now, pay me more, pay me always. And then union hacks whine when they don't get more when a business makes more than expected. duh, they've been paying you during those 3 years of bad times too. you guys negotiated a CONTRACT. there are 2 sides to a contract. sounds to me like you want to have your cake and eat it too.

There is absolutely NO argument you can make in favor of Unions as they pertain to wages and salaries in a market where companies are forced by state law to hire only Union employees. you have absolutely no ground to stand on.

safety? ok maybe. security? ok maybe. working conditions? yep. but not when it comes to wages and bennies, and not where it's legislated otherwise.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1moredeer, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 007FJ, 74 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,714
Posts18,494,533
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.