Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I cant get this story I heard last week out of my head. Was wondering if anyone els had any hunting horror stories? Last week I was in Sportsmans Wharehouse in Anchorage and I met a guy from Anchor point. He was limping and we started Bs-ing. He's and older guy and said "ya, the limp gets worse as the weather turns colder, its my unsoliceted barometer".

I asked him how he got the limp and he said "Oh, years ago I was on a moose hunt with a real dip s####. He was walking behind me with an m1 garand and caught me with two rounds. One in the hip that grazed me and one stight in the kisser. He was only 5'5" and about 140 so wasnt much help on the 12 mile walk back". There is a little more to the storie but there are the bullet points...

Two 30-06 rounds and a twelve mile walk. Anybody top it?

Last edited by mattm2047; 11/15/12.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mattm2047
I cant get this story I heard last week out of my head. Was wondering if anyone els had any hunting horror stories? Last week I was in Sportsmans Wharehouse in Anchorage and I met a guy from Anchor point. He was limping and we started Bs-ing. He's and older guy and said "ya, the limp gets worse as the weather turns colder, its my unsoliceted barometer".

I asked him how he got the limp and he said "Oh, years ago I was on a moose hunt with a real dip s####. He was walking behind me with an m1 garand and caught me with two rounds. One in the hip that grazed me and one stight in the kisser. He was only 5'5" and about 140 so wasnt much help on the 12 mile walk back". There is a little more to the storie but there are the bullet points...

Who packs a moose 12 miles?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
read a newspaper article about two men who were on their way to favorite hunting spot. early am, dark highway. had a flat tire. while the guy was changing the tire he was hit and killed by a passing car. hunting stories can't get any worse than this one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In 2006, Dad and I were on a turkey hunting trip........the night before the season opened, we were visiting with my cousin and his wife.........in the middle of a sentence, Dad suffered a ventricular fibrillation and died.

That's my worst hunting story........

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Originally Posted by mattm2047

Who packs a moose 12 miles?

No chitt.Better off building a cabin and eating it there.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hotsoup
read a newspaper article about two men who were on their way to favorite hunting spot. early am, dark highway. had a flat tire. while the guy was changing the tire he was hit and killed by a passing car. hunting stories can't get any worse than this one.

Hotsoup,

That happens alot more than you might think. Not just on hunting trips.

I always tell people, if you have a mechanical, get as far off the highway as possible even if you have to drive some distance and tear more stuff up in the process. In the long run, it's a lot cheaper than the alternative. And never sit in your car on the shoulder of the road- especially at night.

R
rdd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Last year two retired men that had been friends and hunted together for several years went out on opening weekend of deer season. In the early morning hours the one man pulled up and shot what he thought was a deer. It turned out to be his friend that he shot in the upper leg with his 30-30. He didn't have cell phone signal and had to drive to town for help. His friend bled out and died. The guy that shot his friend had a heart attack and was rushed to the hospital. He survived. This all happend only a few short miles from where I was hunting and I did hear the shot that morning as it was the only one that was that early.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a lot of property damage and delay/disorientation stories, but no one ever died or got hurt bad on my trips.

I understand accidents can happen, but shooting a person is not an accident; it's negligence, at best.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Pretty much any hunting story involving Doyle Moss and crew.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Locally here last year a hunter mistook a grizzly for a blackbear and shot it. Wounded, it ran into the alder, pursued by the hunter. The bear attacked and was mauling the shooter when the hunting partner arrived at a run to the screaming and commotion.

He killed the bear with a single shot, but the bullet passed through and killed his partner as well.

Every hunter can imagine the grief from this tragedy.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Group of young men came black bear hunting here last fall. One guy shoots and wounds a bear. He and his buddy go looking for it. Well it was a grizzly instead of a black bear and it charges and nails the non shooter. The original shooter then tries to shoot the bear off of his buddy and ends up shooting and killing his pal who is on the ground under the bear. Bear also ultimately died. A real disaster all the way around!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IdahoElkHunter
Locally here last year a hunter mistook a grizzly for a blackbear and shot it. Wounded, it ran into the alder, pursued by the hunter. The bear attacked and was mauling the shooter when the hunting partner arrived at a run to the screaming and commotion.

He killed the bear with a single shot, but the bullet passed through and killed his partner as well.

Every hunter can imagine the grief from this tragedy.

were i the guy on the ground i would rather risk taking a bullet than my buddy standing around doing nothing....least the bullet would be quick....

yeah the situation sucks but i would rather have a buddy that tries and helps me, risks to me be damned...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Told to a friend on his flight out west for a hunting trip a few years ago: This guy had made arrangements with an outfitter, I think in Montana. He flew out, the guy picked him up at the airport to drive to the motel from which they'd head into the hills the next day. On the way, the outfitter pulls over, tells the guy they're almost there, head up this fenceline, just up over the hill and sit at such and such a place, might pick up a good mulie. The outfitter will take his stuff to the overnight accommodations and come and pick him up in a couple of hours. Guy takes the bare essentials and hikes up the hill, never saw anything, but on the way back down gets picked up at the road by a game warden who tells him he's trespassing. Guy says, but so and so told me I could hunt up there. He's just gone up to the motel... Warden says, what motel? There wasn't any motel, never was a sign of the "outfitter" again, or of any of the guy's gear, cash that was in his luggage, spare rifle......

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If memory serves me, there was a story on this august forum several years ago about a fellow out in Texas that was invited hunting by a guy. He rode with the fellow out into the boonies and arrived at the trailer late. The guy that drove him out and a guy that was already there got to drinking and, after getting obnoxiously drunk, started snogging.

I think I'd take the grizzly.

Another story I heard in the past few years was about two older turkey hunters that got down in a hollow, chasing birds. The first guy has a heart attack and the second guy has a heart attack trying to drag his buddy out. Both died.

This one prompted me to start carrying a cell phone when turkey hunting.

One of the odder stories I heard was from a guy that had been at deer camp. Somebody had a new brother in law that was a real jerk. He showed up at camp thinking deer camp was a code word for drinking and whoring. He finds out different and huffs off into the night only to return after the bars closed with a skank, and retired to one of the outbuildings for the night. Somebody called up the wife and she and her mother showed up and shot up the shack. Luckily nobody died-- everyone was too drunk to hit anything.

That would really wreck your opening day. That was a deer camp I never bothered to ask for an invite from.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The hunting story that always stuck with me, I heard during a hunter safety course from the officer who investigated.

There was a pheasant hunter, who tried to flush a rooster. It wouldn't flush and just ran in front of him. He chased it for a bit and decided to shoot it on the ground. The rooster ran into some brush and the hunter shot into the brush, expecting to kill the rooster. There happened to be another hunter, squatting with his pants down behind the brush. He took a load of #6 shot to the back of the head and neck and died instantly.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They all begin with the same phrase, "this one time at band camp..."

grin

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by doubletap
The hunting story that always stuck with me, I heard during a hunter safety course from the officer who investigated.

There was a pheasant hunter, who tried to flush a rooster. It wouldn't flush and just ran in front of him. He chased it for a bit and decided to shoot it on the ground. The rooster ran into some brush and the hunter shot into the brush, expecting to kill the rooster. There happened to be another hunter, squatting with his pants down behind the brush. He took a load of #6 shot to the back of the head and neck and died instantly.
Died doing what he loved.
Hunting

Last edited by mattm2047; 11/15/12.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Don't hunt with stupid people, for sure.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was in South Africa hunting with JJ Hackiewiescz, a PH told me this story- just after I had killed a Zebra.

A hunter with this PH wanted to kill a Zebra badly. The next day, they find a group of Zebras and the hunter shoots one in the group.
Before the PH could stop him, he runs up to the zebra on the ground and goes to look it over an pose for pictures. As soon as he goes to put his arm over the Zebra's head, it whips its head around and bites the hunter's arm clean off at the elbow.

There were a couple other doozies-
A hunter is sitting in a "hide"- South African for a pit blind built with brush over the top to conceal the hunter inside. This hunter enters the hide to have an extended sit to watch the waterhole out in front and gets comfortable. About an hour later, he looks and there is a snake crawling through the brush "roof" of the hide. He quickly jumps out of the hide and gets the PH's attention by way of radio. The PH gets there in just a few minutes and dispatches the Black Mamba with a shotgun.

At one of the places we stayed, the owner had a young son (about 10-12 years old) that was always hanging around talking to the hunters and generally in good cheer. Great kid and really knew his way around the ranch we were hunting.
He had a couple scars above and below his eye on one side. Talked to one of the PH's and it turns out that while he was sleeping in his bed one night with the door open to cool off his room, a Cobra crawled into the room and bit him on the face. They just barely made it to the hospital in time for the anti-venom and other than the scars he seems to be fine now.

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 11/15/12.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister
When I was in South Africa hunting with JJ Hackiewiescz, a PH told me this story- just after I had killed a Zebra.

A hunter with this PH wanted to kill a Zebra badly. The next day, they find a group of Zebras and the hunter shoots one in the group.
Before the PH could stop him, he runs up to the zebra on the ground and goes to look it over an pose for pictures. As soon as he goes to put his arm over the Zebra's head, it whips its head around and bites the hunter's arm clean off at the elbow.

There were a couple other doozies-
A hunter is sitting in a "hide"- South African for a pit blind built with brush over the top to conceal the hunter inside. This hunter enters the hide to have an extended sit to watch the waterhole out in front and gets comfortable. About an hour later, he looks and there is a snake crawling through the brush "roof" of the hide. He quickly jumps out of the hide and gets the PH's attention by way of radio. The PH gets there in just a few minutes and dispatches the Black Mamba with a shotgun.

At one of the places we stayed, the owner had a young son (about 10-12 years old) that was always hanging around talking to the hunters and generally in good cheer. Great kid and really knew his way around the ranch we were hunting.
He had a couple scars above and below his eye on one side. Talked to one of the PH's and it turns out that while he was sleeping in his bed one night with the door open to cool off his room, a King Cobra crawled into the room and bit him on the face. They just barely made it to the hospital in time for the anti-venom and other than the scars he seems to be fine now.

Bob

not to be to technical but king cobras live in India and southeast Asia....a number of cobras, couple good sized ones, live in Africa but no kings....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 41 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,168
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.