Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I KNOW that housing can be had around UNH for less than $400.00 per person. A lot of those areas will also give access to decent, if not great, public transportation due to the college.

I also KNOW that rooms can be had for less than $300 around my AO (rural).

I KNOW plenty of folks who are doing slightly better than surviving on minimum wage jobs. They're not getting rich, but they're doing what they have to in order to better themselves a little at a time without resorting to welfare.

$1.00/day may be possible, but I damn sure wouldn't want to try it without supplementing with vension/garden veggies/raised stock/etc.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by NathanL
Would suck to work at Wal-Mart, would suck worse to get fired for not showing up for work at Wal-Mart.

I dunno, I know more than 2 people that work for them and have done VERY well for themselves....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Who knows what the jerkoff is thinking? I only am responding to what he had written. He didn't say a apartment,he was speaking of a room,i.e. "You ain't gonna rent no goddam room in 2012 for 3-400 a month"

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People here are talking about different things. How you could live if you had to and how you want to live. I remember the old timers talking about how in Detroit, I think this was after WWII, but not sure, single workers would hot rack. You got the bed for eight hours and that was it. You had to get up so that the next man could have it. This was boarding house stuff where you got two meals and the eight hour bed. Not how I would want to live, but I could if I had to. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ok, you are upset because Chinamart workers will strike on the Friday after Thanksgiving? Sounds good to me. If only they would all strike so I don't have to squire the girlfriend to all the 'sales'

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someplaces you might make it at 1k a month, but not around here,

As far as food for a dollar a day, no way, .. You could survive for a short term, but you can not live on 1 dollar a day.

My teenage boys eat a dollar's worth every hour....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No one at our Walmart is going to walk out. Walmart may have it coming but it's not going to happen. The folks who are working there need the work and the lousy wages and there is little out there to go to. The company knows that and takes big advantage of that. Indentured servants. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
You're right, of course, but I believe Blackheart is thinking along the lines of a single family trying to rent an apartment, or even one person; he doesn't seem the type that would attract, or want, roommates to split the rent/electric/water/phone with. laugh
Exactly right.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Agree with you completely save for my boys and gals eat 15 bucks of it before it even finds it's way onto the shelves and into the fridge.

For many on the 24H,a 1000 bucks a month is for lunch money.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
You're right, of course, but I believe Blackheart is thinking along the lines of a single family trying to rent an apartment, or even one person; he doesn't seem the type that would attract, or want, roommates to split the rent/electric/water/phone with. laugh
Exactly right.

==============

No way a husband/wife with a kid(s) could live on a grand around here without government assistance.

William Arthur Ward

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ok, you are upset because Chinamart workers will strike on the Friday after Thanksgiving?

I hope that you hit quick reply, because what they do will not bother me at all. I figure they will lose their jobs and I also figure that they did not much want them to begin with. miles

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It's possible but not likely. Now let's assume a married couple with 2 children need a place. 4 people in one room is possible, not ideal and very unlikely to be rented to.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for 1 person to live on minimum wage but with the rising cost of everything (including Twinkies) it's VERY difficult. Add in a a couple/few family members and it's dam close to impossible.

edited to add...I agree with RISJR re: family on $1K/month. I posted before seeing his last post.

Last edited by AcesNeights; 11/17/12.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Calvin
OH BS. That's a whole nother class of folks. BTW, all those 15-20 of them were working full time at 1k a month, they'd be able to afford one hell of a pad.. (grin)

I realize your comment was probably tongue-in-cheek, but if it wasn't, the illegals send the largest majority of what they make back to Mexico to their families.

Originally Posted by Calvin
That's all Blackheart has though.. and the typical liberal argument. Rather than admit that folks making minimum wage have more money than him, he'll take it to the extreme.

Liberal? Really? Really?

He strikes me as anything but a liberal.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
For 2011 the Census Bureau lists the poverty level at 11,484.00. For a couple,with kid(s),I'd think both parents would have to be making at least minimum wage before they could make it around here.

The median income for households in northern Va is a little over 100K. Very rarely do we have stay at home moms in this region. They'd be a exception,not the norm for these parts.

My secretary makes 38K a year,pays 1750 for a 2 bedroom apt,utilities not included.Add in the basic necessities thereafter,gas,groceries,utilities,manicure,pedicure,massage and Netflix and she's living paycheck to paycheck.

I truly can't see how a single mom with one kid(not my secretary)could make it without govt.assistance at minimum wage.

William Arthur Ward

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I agree Bob! Rental housing has gone up significantly around here.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
manicure,pedicure,massage and Netflix and she's living paycheck to paycheck.

Uh, Bob, you might want to check the necessity list. cry miles

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I spoke those very same words,Miles. But,when I speak of my hunting season necessities list,my positions don't enjoy much credibility with her. Deer piss is oddly expensive.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my positions don't enjoy much credibility with her.

I understand, but as one raised in hard times, wants and necessities was explained to me a long time ago. miles

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I worked for Walmart once upon a time. They tend to be greedy. Those Walton boys can't get rich enough. I empathize with the workers getting pissed about working Thanksgiving...that just ain't right. Frankly, I suspect Sam Walton wouldn't think it was right, either, but he's dead and there's different peeps running the ship. However, this economy is tough, and people have to feed their famailies and keep the power on, so I'm not sure risking my job would be the wise thing to do. You don't throw away what you have without something to replace it. They oughta hunt around and find a 2nd job while stores are hiring for the Christmas season, then if they get kept on after Christmas tell Walmart to take a flying leap.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by FOsteology
There's a reason the Chinese and Indians are swooping in and taking all the high paying jobs. American students are by and large too damn lazy and entitled to work hard and get degrees that will ACTUALLY enable them to obtain good jobs.

Our broken educational system tells kids from an early age that you have to go to college to get a good job. However, it doesn't emphasize and stress what you actually have to go to college for! Any old degree simply will not suffice!

So kids graduate in six years with a degree in Psych., English, Physical Ed., underwater basket weaving, etc., and turn around and say, "Hey, where's my good paying job!?"

Not quite. Jobs are being shipped overseas because it means cheap labor and bigger salaries and bonuses and golden parachutes for CEOs.

You mean all the good jobs for liberal arts degrees have been outsourced? No wonder I have to pay the Art History major for the pizza to get him off of my porch.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,655
Posts18,493,483
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.