Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You suck! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Yes I do! grin Despite aches and pains, went out early. Sneaked up on my first of the year and....promptly missed him.

Went on to another woods, and redeemed my self with 2 head shots.

[Linked Image]

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes...you do....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Went back out today. Saw 1 squirrel bouncing tree limbs at about 100+ yds. No shots. Seems to be plenty of mast, saw a lot of acorns and pignut hickory nuts on the ground, but not that many cuttings. This was at 2 new woods. Beginning to wonder about the local population this year. Next hunt is Tues., with my son.

maddog

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My son and I went on the first squirrel hunt of the season so far this year. The temperatures dropped Saturday morning to 51 degrees and nearly zero wind. We hit an Ozark ridge and split up planning to meet about a half mile down the ridge. He went around one side and I skirted the other side of the ridge. There is a plentiful mast crop this year, lots of acorns, hickory nuts, walnuts, persimmons, and the squirrels have been making good use of them already. Cutting littered the ground and the bushy tails were swinging through the tops in decent numbers.

Those danged little grays in the early season just don�t sit still for no amount of time. My son was using a Ruger Deluxe Sporter 10/22 with a trigger job and I was using my old Ruger 77/22 stainless with the boat paddle synthetic stock with the green inserts. I killed seven with nine shots all of them headshot. My boy killed nine which about half were headshot and half shoulder shot. I ran across a bunch of turkey poults not much bigger than chickens, fun to see. I�ve been using sub-sonic hollow points the last couple of years and love them. They are fantastically accurate and make a nice �whack� when you thud one in a squirrel�s noggin. All in all a good day and we ended up with all young fry squirrels for a good future dinner.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You guys sure make me jealous. Without doubt my favorite hunting is squirrels. In Texas, with 95% of the land owned by private interest it seems, there is basically no where to go to hunt squirrels. Even the property that appears to be available will often be squatted by local rednecks.

I would pay good money to have a place to hunt squirrels. I don't think a better small game morsel exists.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats maddog! I found a few, but getting shots with a 5yo in tow added a whole new level of difficulty. Hoping to get out some this weekend...

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My son came up today, and we headed for the woods. My buddy gave us the ok to hunt. In my area it's mostly fox squirrels. On his property, he has grays, and pineys, as well as fox squirrels. Foggyer tha H, but we got out there about 8 am. Squirrels cutting everywhere! My son spent the morning trying to free hand shoot squirrels and ended up with 1. My decreped ole body slowed up and missed my 1st one, then shot 4. Three head shots, and a heart/lunger on a gray! Here's a coupla pics. Nicest morning I've spent in the woods in a long time!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Damn, I'm havin fun squill huntin'!

maddog

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice! Haven't seen a fox squirrel around here in years all we seem to have is grays. Season opens the 8th in WV and I'll be out at our camp on vacation smile

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Go get um Pugs! Last year my son and I did a DG hunt in Zimbabwe. I shot a cape buff and a tuskless ele. It was fantastic, but I sure enjoyed today just squill huntin'. Amazing how a 61 yo. mind works......grin

maddog

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
woods are full of them here.. I usually blast a batch of them, just so they won't screw deer season...making too much racket..

I like using a light load in the walking varminter I have in 204, with a 34 gr HP out of the barrel at about 2000 fps..

yeah, its more than enough gun, but I feed the squirrels to a few of the neighborhood dogs...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, it's going to be a very hot weekend, again, here. I took off at day light this am, and headed to a little 6 acre patch I can hunt, along a ditch. It's full of hickories. Got in and got settled under a hickory, and set there for about an hr. Nada. Eased my way up the east side, and had one barking. Eased up within about 20 yds., and caught the little varmint out on a limb. POP! One in the bag. grin Went to the west side, and saw one jumping around up a big oak tree. The area was pretty open. Got within 50 yds. and let fly. No. 2 in the bag. Saw a couple others scampering thru the tree tops, but couldn't get to them. By now it was getting hot. Headed to the truck, cleaned them, and headed for home.

[Linked Image]

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I may have to come back there, show up in person again, eat your steaks and drink your beer,and tell you how much you suck.... grin

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Hey ingwe, the "bubba buddy" works just as well on my squill rifle as it did on my African gun.......grin

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Looks classy too..... whistle

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I happen to have a great start on my first hunt this year. Walked back behind my house into a 4 acre area with many hickories and oaks. Just happen to hit one hickory with 7 squirrels just cutting the nuts like nobodies business! The frags were falling like rain under this tree. I hadnt caught a moment like that in quite a long time! Awesome!

Took the limit of 5 out of that tree, starting from the bottom of the tree and working up, then headed to the house. 4 greys and one fox squirrel that was so big he was smoking a cigar and had a "mother" tatoo on his chest!

I am hunting with an old BRNO model #1 made in 1950, topped with a 45 yr old Redfield 2-7x33 scope.

Dave

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Dave, sounds cool. Got any pics?

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Looks classy too..... whistle

How bout a faux leopard print "bubba buddy", just for you..... wink grin

maddog

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
got one from another hunt..kinda old. but same rifle/scope. Some others added too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Dave, cool pics! Where do you live in IL.? I'm in NW IN., we don't have that many gray squirrels.

maddog

Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.