Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BMR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've got my new Win Model 70 Safari Express in 375 that I'm going to pick up in the next day or so. I've really liked the Leupold Quick Detachable scope mounts for other rifles I have and was planning on getting the same for this rifle. I'm planning on mounting my Leupold Vari-X III 1.75-6X on it. Can I use the lowest rings for this, or will I need higher rings so that the open sights are not too prevalent in my field of vision when I look through the scope? Also, will I need extension rings, or will standard rings for the QD mounting system work? Thanks.

HR IC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm not totally sure, but I'm betting you'll need one extension ring.. That scope is short, the distance between base holes is long, and you'll need a fudge-factor in adjustment.. Only by trying a set of lows will you be able to judge whether or not you can comfortably see through it.. Some people just have a hard time with low rings - especially on that type of rifle that usually has a somewhat straighter stock in the wrist area.. You may need to go to mediums..

Because the power you're considering is low, it's very possible most ring heights will still provide a fixed-sight picture in your scope.. IF you're mounting a scope anyway, just remove the irons and you'll be golden..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've mounted a Leupold FXII 4x33 on my Model 70 Express, in 375 H&H, using Warne steel weaver bases and Burris low rings. That scope has a similar free mounting space to your 1.75-6. Alot will depend on what bases you use; weaver bases will allow narrower ring spacing while Leupold's dual dovetail and QR system will not.

I wouldn't worry about the sights being in your field of view; I run a Leupold 3x on my 375 and the sights are in the field, but you don't really notice it when shooting.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I had those rings and that scope on my M70 stainless .375 H&H. You won't need extension rings, the rear scope base is designed to where it overhangs the ejection port a bit, shortening the distance between the rings. That's one reason I changed them out for talleys, I didn't like the rear base overhanging the port even though it didn't interfere with anything.

Don't worry about the sights being visible, even though they're there in the field of view you won't see them unless you really try hard to refocus your eye and see them. Practically speaking you won't notice them. However, the safari classic stock actually has a negative drop at heel which makes it almost impossible for me to get my eye low enough to use the open sights. Low rings will certainly fit on the rifle with that scope but they might be TOO low for you with that stock design. My rifle is the stainless classic with a mcmillian supergrade stock so I don't have a problem with the sights on it, but I've shouldered enough safari classics to know that it's not really designed well for an open sight shooter. I'm sure it's good for recoil reduction with the really straight stock, but you might have trouble getting your eye low enough to use the open sights or even a scope in low rings.

BMR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the information, guys. You are right about the sights in the field of vision when looking through the scope, as I don't notice them on my Browning Safari Grade bolt-action. Crow hunter, you are exactly right on the stock on the Safari Express not being designed for open sight use. I really have to bring my cheek low to that high comb to get that front sight lower. I guess they make a good back up sighting system in the event something happens to your scope, though, so I'll sight them in. I picked up the rifle yesterday and am very impressed with the piece of wood and the overall fit and finish of the rifle. Looks to me, at least by my example, that Winchester is doing a very good job with these.

IC B2

Hello, smile
Beg your pardon for my english, I'm french. smirk
I own a Winch Mod 70 Safari Express .375 H&H so I am interested by your choice , both bases & rings. My scope is a Hawke Endurance 1.25-4.5 x24 IR.
Would you please tell me what bases & rings you have got.
Thanks a lot. smile

Howa 1500 .300WM Scope Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 x40 + Parallaxe
CZ 550 9.3x62 Mauser Scope Leupold VX2 3-9x40
Marlin 1895 45-70 Scope Hawke Endurance 30 1.25-4.5x24
12 Gauge O/U 18" barrel
Cool!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another vote for the Talley QD. The low detachables are not super low. I was a little concerned the lenses would be under the rings on the 1.75x6 scope but after about 500 rounds no problems.

At the low setting I think you would see the barrel and sight with any height rings.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (10gaugemag, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 45 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,077
Posts18,501,557
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.