Last edited by Fireball2; 11/20/12.

LOL
GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Nope not liars as they are reporting on their own experience which does not encompass ALL shot bear. Simply pointing out that a relative few shot bear doesn't prove that pea shooters will not give up lost game from time to time.

In most situations that pertain to the conversation at hand game lost is lost to bad shots whether poor marksmanship or simply taking poorly chosen shots... and to a far lesser extent to poor choices in bullet for the task at hand.

That is not simply limited to shooting .22 CFs.

For the most part(barring rediculous comparisons like elephant, rhino, grizzly, etc.) regardless of bore size if you pick the right bullet, and the right shot placement the end result is meat on the ground.

Yup there will be meat on the ground the only question is will that meat be found by the hunter who put it there. The question isn't one of the animal being killed as it surely will die but rather of will it die quickly enough or leave a good enough blood trail so that it may be found. The answer sometimes with merely an adequate round is NO. It's happened to me, it's happened to others that I know and it will happen to others who use such weapons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Pretty bruin for sure. I still fail to see the reason or thought process behind taking a neck shot on a bruin @ 392 yds? Why didn't you just hit him behind the fronts or thru the shoulders I guess is my question?

IME the target of neck bone is awfully darn small on big game and there's a lot of neck territory that one won't find the quarry with a hit thru it. Especially on a bruin that isn't exactly well known for it's blood trails...

Not trying to bust balls but I sure don't track with your thought process.

Thoughts?

Dober

No offense, not trying to bust balls, but ask the bear... Oh wait, he's dead.

Seriously, I'd appreciate it if you'd answer my questions as I'd like to know what your thinking is. Pictures of other critters and or saying ask the bear just don't answer the question I asked.

Thx

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Adirondackbushwhack

Yup there will be meat on the ground the only question is will that meat be found by the hunter who put it there. The question isn't one of the animal being killed as it surely will die but rather of will it die quickly enough or leave a good enough blood trail so that it may be found. The answer sometimes with merely an adequate round is NO. It's happened to me, it's happened to others that I know and it will happen to others who use such weapons.

You're kind of missing the point of my post.

According to your own post you have lost multiple deer hunting with a .30-30. Does that make the .30-30 an unsuitable or inadequate round for hunting deer in spite of God knows how many head big game its killed?

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Didnt the young lad on one of those "mountain men" or something shows, thats one at the moment, shoot a young griz with his AR?

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
What cartridge, bullet, and range?

Swifts and 22/250's. Lots of them. Never lost one either.

I've never thought black bears were very hard to kill.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Here is a little Canadian indian woman about 4 feet tall who shot a huge grizzly with a 22.
Posted before but don't hurt again

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

They are not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunted caribou with an eskimo up north years ago that had killed 30 polar bears with his Remington 700 .222. He thought my Swift was a cannon.....grin!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

+1
I have kilt a bear with a single .22cal bullet. Not to mention different buddies and family members of mine have whacked deer, elk and a few blackies also with a mix from .22 hornet, .222 rem, .223 rem, 225 win, swifts and 22/250... Arm pits and side slats are not bullet proof, death was quick. Mostly with std. soft points, a few partitions thrown in.

The caliber is not usually the first choice but with little discretion, fells big game the same as any other high power center fire. The premium bullets in .22 cal prolly give a little more edge for terminal performance, still boils down to bullet placement.

Many a mountain lion around here also have been kilt with 22 rim fires, magnum and long rifle, to save hide quality. Range would be measured in feet, as the cat would be treed or bayed up from hounds.

It's not what you shoot, it's how you shoot.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Perzactly.....I've taken a few mountains lions with my little S&W Model 34 2" with standard long rifle ammo......easy to pack on a lion chase.....grin!

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Adirondackbushwhack

You're kind of missing the point of my post.

According to your own post you have lost multiple deer hunting with a .30-30. Does that make the .30-30 an unsuitable or inadequate round for hunting deer in spite of God knows how many head big game its killed?

To me it does that is why I stopped using the 30-30. My goal is to kill every deer or bear that I shoot as quickly as possible with no chance of lost game when shot. The 30-30 and others including the .22 calibers are not capable of meeting my requirements in a hunting rifle. However if another hunter does not care to kill as quickly as possible and does not care about the possibility of lost game he may find those lesser cals. adequate. So perhaps it is a matter of our individual definition of adequate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .30-30 isnt reliable to cleanly kill a deer....

crazy
That's a new one to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Pretty bruin for sure. I still fail to see the reason or thought process behind taking a neck shot on a bruin @ 392 yds? Why didn't you just hit him behind the fronts or thru the shoulders I guess is my question?

IME the target of neck bone is awfully darn small on big game and there's a lot of neck territory that one won't find the quarry with a hit thru it. Especially on a bruin that isn't exactly well known for it's blood trails...

Not trying to bust balls but I sure don't track with your thought process.

Thoughts?

Dober

No offense, not trying to bust balls, but ask the bear... Oh wait, he's dead.

Seriously, I'd appreciate it if you'd answer my questions as I'd like to know what your thinking is. Pictures of other critters and or saying ask the bear just don't answer the question I asked.

Thx

Dober

Mark,
I shot the bear in the neck because it was a rare find for me that I did not want to lose out on, and I could. He was facing away (and walking away) and had his head down while flipping rocks until I made a distress sound with my voice to get his attention. It took several tries to be loud enough for him to hear me. He lifted his head, turned to look at me, but presented me with nothing but the side of his neck. I had been watching him and it was my last ditch effort to get a side view of a shootable piece of bear, which I got with the side of his neck. I had confidence in my rifle, ammo, rest, and ability. I was using a Nosler Ballistic Tip and did not want to give him the old Texas heart shot, as I didn't think full length penetration was assured. I did not want a gut shot bear to trail. I had supreme confidence in the accuracy of the bullet and rifle, if not the bullet construction. I knew the neck was probable, but doubted a full length body shot from behind with a ballistic tip. In my mind, I took the best shot. Now, open for scrutiny, but the OP was talking about 22's and bears. This was a 300 winchester magnum.

LOL
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
2 things.

Evidently the 30-30 guy never misses his mark, because he aims for the lungs. Evidently I've just been lucky with the 30-30. Even killed a nilgai with one in a contender. Might wanna google nilgai to see how small the big bulls are. 30-30 not big enough for deer. Gimme a break. And to think the one I shot with my 50 bmg, ran a LOT further than anyone I've ever shot with a 30-30....

Savage 99 dude. I never saw the reply, whats the average group size at 400 yards day in and day out from that gun? And the drop at 400 yards? I"m just curious how well they shoot, I've always wanted to pick one up but wasn't sure how accurate they were.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

crazy
That's a new on to me.

One of the quickest kills I've had on deer was with a .30-30, an absolute pole-axe. "Boom" and the deer disappeared.

I was expecting a short dash, the usual reaction to a lung shot, but this one went a little high, clipping the spine.

I also killed a deer in '09 at 236 yards with a .30-30, getting complete penetration. The deer went 20 yards and finished dying.

Check out this bear kill with a .30-30. You can fast forward to 2:30 to watch the shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cool vid-thx for sharing

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
2 things.

Evidently the 30-30 guy never misses his mark, because he aims for the lungs. Evidently I've just been lucky with the 30-30. Even killed a nilgai with one in a contender. Might wanna google nilgai to see how small the big bulls are. 30-30 not big enough for deer. Gimme a break. And to think the one I shot with my 50 bmg, ran a LOT further than anyone I've ever shot with a 30-30....

Savage 99 dude. I never saw the reply, whats the average group size at 400 yards day in and day out from that gun? And the drop at 400 yards? I"m just curious how well they shoot, I've always wanted to pick one up but wasn't sure how accurate they were.

Rost- sorry for your confusion, I understand if you're skeptical about the 400 yard accuracy of the 99. If you go back and read the posts you'll find that the Savage 99 is not the rifle I made the long shot with. I was using a Weatherby 300 Winchester Magnum. The Savage 99 pictured is a 375 winchester caliber, and while accurate, I would not even speculate on the 400 yard trajectory! It's a great 100 yard gun though. smile My largest bear to date was killed with that gun at about 70 yards and iron sights.

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/20/12.

LOL
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

crazy
That's a new on to me.

I suspect you are in for all kids of new ones as you gain experiance over the years. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen a large black bear expire quickly when my bud put a 22-250 slug in it's head. Of course he was about 30 yds. Don't know how it would have done at 150 yd or more. To kill a bear with a 22 rimfire, you would have to find a soft spot in the head probably in the eyes or just behind in the spine.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 49 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,438
Posts18,489,412
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.