Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi There.

I have a new Kimber 8400 classic select. I took the barrel out of the stock to look for a bedding problem and noticed that the stock was cracked just behind the front action screw. Kimber simply refuses to replace the stock as I am a international customer and they say they need to look at the rifle as a complete unit to replace the stock. It is obviously not an option as it is not a packet of peanuts that I can just send their way.
I then asked them if I can then purchase a stock at my expense and the guy told me that they cannot sell me a stock (I offered to pay for a replacement piece of wood that they should actually replace)for he do not know why? This rifle costs $3375 in South-Africa and thought Kimber would understand that I would just like to put an original stock on the thing. I phoned Ruger the other day and they are willing to send me a stock (brand new) for a 80's tang safety 77(Kimber can really learn something from Ruger as they have great service from what I have experienced). Why can Kimber not send me a rifle stock? Just phone UPS and they do not even have to walk 10feet to have it delivered.
The guy did not have a bad attitude at Kimber but I really expected more, as it is something very simple to fix. I am just upset, paying that much for a rifle and ending up with a cracked stock after a few shots and now I need to fit an aftermarket product on the rifle at my expense. And the rifle scratches brass very badly on the feeding ramp.

The rifle is perfect in many ways but I guess mine was made on a Friday afternoon 4 o clock. frown

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 10/04/12.
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Pieter, let's bump this thread for the evening crowd. There are some very knowledgable people on here and they are likely to have some workable suggestions for you.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'll forward this to someone who may be able to help.

RLTW
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pieter:

Any chance you can post a picture of the damage?

The pillar is actually threaded. If you can file a slot on either side of the pillar you can unscrew it. The crack can then be repaired. If you want to send the stock stateside send me a PM.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
M77 - Prepare a well-written, concise letter detailing the problem and include a photo or two. Address it to the Kimber president. Your problem will likely be solved in the manner you wish. Not too many consumers write letters anymore but I've found this approach to be very effective. Dealing with a company rep or lesser employee on the phone is often a waste of time. Start at the top. Good luck.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have written letters to Kimber twice, though I didn't address it to the president. Either the service department can't read or don't read, or maybe they couldn't understand my southern drawl. My suggestion is to write it on toilet paper so it will flush easy after they use it. Good luck what ever you decide to do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im sorry to hear you're having troubles with Kimber. I just recently bought my third Kimber rifle and i would not be a happy camper if they just snuffed me out and refused to replace or even sell me a replacement stock. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself can help you but in the meantime i'd keep bugging them. Thats alot of money, double what my classic select cost.

Last edited by dubya; 10/05/12.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Pieter,

Chances are that you could repair that crack with some AccraGlas and an internal crossbolt! Do you have a local gunsmith?

m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gwindrider1
Pieter,

Chances are that you could repair that crack with some AccraGlas and an internal crossbolt! Do you have a local gunsmith?

I am sending it to a gunsmith and he will fit the crossbolt to prevent further damage. I would still just like to have an original stock as it would come from the factory and the crossbolted stock will be different from the original. I kind of like sticking with origial parts on a rifle except for bedding, but it does not change the look of the rifle. The other problem is that I need the rifle for taking clients hunting, as we have a registered hunting farm and work with the rifles all year long. Meaning that we will be short of a rilfe for who knows how long? I understand that you guys over there might get better service than what I do in South-Africa but one would gain more business fixing a small problem like mine than trying to save money and not helping a customer out. We have a decent market for hunting in South-Africa and 90% of hunting in the northern part of South-Africa are done on foot which creates a perfect market for the lightweight Kimber rifles(not creates, it is already there). But how can I recomend a Kimber rifle to any of my friends, fellow South African Hunters and Game Conservation Association members or clients if there is no support from the company?

I do hope that I can pick up a stock sometime or another.

Thanks for your support and feedback guys, I really do appreciate it.

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 10/05/12.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I wonder if Kimber customer service understands the number of potential customers that can be negatively affected by a bad customer service experience shared on an internet forum ?

More importantly, do they care enough to man up and make it right ?

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You need to talk directly with Dwight Van Brunt who lives and works in Montana.

Next, Ryan Busse who is VP, he works with Dwight out of the same office.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bought a Kimber in 7/08 when they first came out. Very poor grouping with a variety of loads. Wrote the company and told them all I had tried and asked for their imput. Their response was to tell me what inch pounds the action screws needed. Sold the rifle and the buyer sent it to the factory twice for their evaluation. Came back untouched and said it met their accuracy requirements. I really think a match grade barrel should do better than 1" at 50yards. He sold it to someone else. No more Kimbers in my safe.Rick.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a 308 Kimber Montana and love it, but a company with poor customer service won't get my business. You never know when you will have a problem that they should take care of and to have it done elsewhere will cost you money.

A couple of weeks ago I found out that my Winchester 100 had a recall on the firing pin. I contacted Winchester Customer service, they checked my serial number and said that it had not had the conversion. They gave me the address to send the old firing pin and today I got the new one and a visa gift card for $30.00 for my trouble. They treated me that good and the rifle was made in 1965!

Kimber should make the stock good. Not doing so will cost them a lot more in the long run. You would think most companies would have learned this by now. Winchester evidently did.

Maybe you should copy them on this thread

Harry
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Morning guys.

The shop I purchased the rifle from is paying for a crossbolt and bedding on the rifle as this is at least a way that I can now go and work with the rifle. They do not sound keen on helping out with a new stock from Kimber after paying for the bedding and crossbolt. The gunsmith said that he cannot guarantee that the stock wont give problems in future but the crossbolt is the best solution. I really do hope that somehow in the near future I can at least purchase a stock for the Kimber and change it back to it's original form. Do hope that when I get one it wont cost an arm and a leg.

Just another question guys. Is the best solution for the Rifle scratching brass so badly leaving the magazine, polishing the edges just before the feeding ramp? Is this a common problem on these rifles?

Thanks again guys.

Pieter

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A few of the Kimbers that I had scratched the brass. A little 400 grit on the bottom of the feed rails did wonders.

m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by m77
Hi There.

I have a new Kimber 8400 classic select. I took the barrel out of the stock to look for a bedding problem and noticed that the stock was cracked just behind the front action screw. Kimber simply refuses to replace the stock as I am a international customer and they say they need to look at the rifle as a complete unit to replace the stock. It is obviously not an option as it is not a packet of peanuts that I can just send their way.
I then asked them if I can then purchase a stock at my expense and the guy told me that they cannot sell me a stock (I offered to pay for a replacement piece of wood that they should actually replace)for he do not know why? This rifle costs $3375 in South-Africa and thought Kimber would understand that I would just like to put an original stock on the thing. I phoned Ruger the other day and they are willing to send me a stock (brand new) for a 80's tang safety 77(Kimber can really learn something from Ruger as they have great service from what I have experienced). Why can Kimber not send me a rifle stock? Just phone UPS and they do not even have to walk 10feet to have it delivered.
The guy did not have a bad attitude at Kimber but I really expected more, as it is something very simple to fix. I am just upset, paying that much for a rifle and ending up with a cracked stock after a few shots and now I need to fit an aftermarket product on the rifle at my expense. And the rifle scratches brass very badly on the feeding ramp.

The rifle is perfect in many ways but I guess mine was made on a Friday afternoon 4 o clock. frown

Pieter

Good morning.

I know I already placed another post regarding Kimber fixing the problems I experienced I would just like to ad it to the original post.

Kimber did help me out in the end and offered me some very good support. The support I received in the end exceeded my expectations. I think it took a bit longer to get to right person as I am sitting half way around the world, but they were truly supportive and willing to help me out.

Pieter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm happy to hear it all worked out for you..

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That is good news but it should not take getting lucky with the right person. It should be a company wide policy. Positive customer service will sell more rifles than all the "moa" targets.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/23/12.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
That is good news but it should not take getting lucky with the right person. It should be a company wide policy. Positive customer service will sell more rifles than all the "moa" targets.

+1

I have a few Kimber rifles and love them but the stories of their bad CS scare me!I'm just glad i haven't had to send one back...yet. I've got a new Montana 25-06 arriving at my FFL on Tuesday. Now i probably just jinxed myself......... confused

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,473
Posts18,471,466
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.