Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S

Am thinking about getting a North American Arms Mini-Master 4-inch revolver? To carry as an ultra lightweight kit gun! (weigh less than 3/4lb and small enough to fit in a small pocket)

Does anyone at 24HCF have the Mini-Master? (or the similar 2inch Black Widow?)

If so, how well does your little revolver shoot? How accurate is it? Do you like it?

Could you reliably USE IT to collect a grouse or bunny for the camp dinner?

Would you recommend one?**

THANKS!

Usually I think of the NAA micro 22's being good only for making noise or as a conversation piece, but the 4inch Mini-Master and 2inch Black Widow have long-enough functional barrels!

Last edited by StubbleDuck; 11/23/12.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had the Black Widow,I got it in trade and first chance I got traded it off to someone else.It was fun to play with,about every other 3rd or 4th shot I could hit a paper plate at 8 to 10 feet,on one of my good days.I've had a N.A.A. mini revolver with the .22 L.R. and mag. cylinders for about 20 years,I've kept it purely for the sake of novelty.I could hit consistently better with the Black Widow,which ain't sayin' much.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I always thought one would be the ultimate pocket gun
Bought a nice used one ( 22 lr with the folding clip grip )
I could hit a silhouette perp target out to about 10 feet and then it was pray and spray.
Traded it off ASAP

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Too small and had to manipulate for me.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've had this one since the late 1980s. For several years, I carried it a lot.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

It might scare away a litter of angry kittens.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by P_Weed

Bunnies, maybe, but angry kittens will tear you a new one. laugh They have claws, you know.......And those milk teeth are wicked sharp....

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by P_Weed

Yeah, but would you want to get belly shot with it?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No I would not want to get shot in the belly with 'any' gun.

I have seriously looked at NAA revolvers before, and they are 'real' guns alright, attractive and of quality manufacture.

I also looked at the NAA website to see all the various models offered.

I would love to have one.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
They are hard to hang onto and hard to hit with. But they are oh so concealable.
Whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you shoot right-handed, place your LH thumb between your RH and pistol backstrap. Makes hanging on to them much easier.

I had one several years ago but the barrel kept shooting loose so I sent it down the road after the third time. Shot pretty good, though.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I bought my father one last year for Christmas (he wanted one). I don't remember the model but it was a limited edition with Ashley express sights and rubber grips. It has both the 22LR and 22 Mag cylinders.

I refer to any small frame gun as a "get the f#ck off me guns". When loaded with 22 Mag ammo it will make someone get off of you. Up to 15-20 feet you can actually hit stuff it (cans, potatoes, etc). Of course targets are not trying to harm you either.

Not my first choice but probably as good as any 380 around.

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got one in 22 short, with the short barrel. It fits well in a shirt pocket.

It's my "bad breath" range, stick it in your ear gun (or git the F##K OFF ME gun)

Actually knocked feathers out of a grouse with a 22 LR virsion years ago.

Think I was as startled as the grouse was.

Virgil B.

P
pcs Offline
P
Know two people and heard of others who accendently shot them selfs with them, load em and fall out of your pocket and boom!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by pcs
Know two people and heard of others who accendently shot them selfs with them, load em and fall out of your pocket and boom!
That's why they have notches in between chambers. The firing pin doesn't rest over a live round, it rests in a notch, so this is impossible, unless negligently left with the firing pin over a live round.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Correct answer.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've had this one since the late 1980s. For several years, I carried it a lot.

[Linked Image]
I've thought about getting a set of grips like these for the mini I still have,thought it might help me to shoot it better.Have you noticed a great improvement with these grips over the standard wooden factory grips?I just don't care about shelling out any money for nothing in return.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by shameless
I've thought about getting a set of grips like these for the mini I still have,thought it might help me to shoot it better.Have you noticed a great improvement with these grips over the standard wooden factory grips?I just don't care about shelling out any money for nothing in return.
Very definitely. Huge difference.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO POSTED. smile

My plan if I indeed get a Mini Master is to stick with that 4inch-model, ONLY!

And if it shoots worth a darn, put a folding grip on it, then modify those grips with expoxy, JB Weld or whatever will work well to resemble Hawkeye's wooden grip (when extended).

Also will put "finer" [non pat-trigdge] sights on front and back of the thing! My desire for the 4incher is to use as a lightweight kit/foraging gun (and only when actually needed!). Will only be using the LR cylinder for hunting or serious plinking, and only low-medium velocity rounds.

However, on a downside - met a fellow at our local ma&pa/hardware gun dept-corner ..... Who said he and a buddy both bought Pug-type 1-inch WMR's in those mini-wheelguns!

When he went to shoot his, couldn't hit a milk jug at 5yds!

Nor at 10 feet, eight feet, and couldn't even see where the bullet was going! Until he was 5-6 feet from the jug.

Finally hit the jug right near the bottom, as water trickled out.

His theory was the .22 Magnum round overwhelmed the shortie barrel with no time to stabilize and no chance to really gain respectable velocity (- certainly no where near a "complete" burn! crazy)

The little piece now just sits in the guy's safe.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That folding grip you mention is what was on the Black Widow the guy traded me.I actually was shooting better with the wooden grips from my mini.Now you might have better results with the holster grips,but I think that maybe if I had sprung for grips like THE has on his, shooting may have improved a little bit for me.Maybe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1936M71, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,490
Posts18,509,026
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.