24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
This summer I decided to try my hand at self-filming my bow hunts. I began this fall with a tree arm type setup.

I learned that this was very difficult to get rutting bucks into frame when hunting alone. I'd mount the arm to one side of the tree, and the bucks would appear on the other. Or countless other issues would arise. As we all know, rutting bucks are on the move. They don't stop for long. This makes it very difficult to film them with a camera arm unless you know exactly where they'll walk, and when.

My solution was to mount a Gopro camera to my bow. Gopro's don't have a zoom function, so they're basically worthless for long range filming. But where they lack zoom, they excel in other areas.

Such as, they're lightweight. You can't really tell when it's attached to the bow.

They're a point and shoot type of camera. As long as it's pointed in the right general area, you'll capture some cool footage. Anything under 30 yards shows up well on a Gopro, as long as you use the "narrow view" setting.

Rutting bucks could no longer escape my video camera! As long as they were reasonably close by of course.

If you've thought about filming your own hunts, this is the way to go in my experience.

Here's a video I put together compiling all of the best clips I gathered this fall while on stand. A few passes, a few shooters, and some other cool stuff that I just happened to catch on film.

GB1

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Could you post a pic of your set-up? I've tried the tree-arm thing too,and it works ok for black bears on bait,but like you said it's a pain for everything else. This sounds like a cool set-up I'd like to give it a try if I can make it work.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I enjoyed the video. I have tried to film some turkey hunts in the past, unsuccessfully for others. Did you edit with "professional" equipment, or more over the counter software? The different time lapse techniques were well done, and the blackout zoom. I also enjoyed the multiple camera angles. Thanks for sharing some of your hunts!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
sorry that buck wouldn't stop for you, but he had other things on his mind....thanks for sharing a well put together film....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ConsummateSportsman

Here's a video I put together compiling all of the best clips I gathered this fall while on stand. A few passes, a few shooters, and some other cool stuff that I just happened to catch on film.

Nicely done. The inside of your truck is sure a lot cleaner than mine during hunting season! grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice job, would have sent an arrow towards that coyote though.

Life is just one damned thing after another
OP Offline
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Could you post a pic of your set-up? I've tried the tree-arm thing too,and it works ok for black bears on bait,but like you said it's a pain for everything else. This sounds like a cool set-up I'd like to give it a try if I can make it work.

I did a write up on my setup on my blog. It's called a Bowfinger 2.0, and you can use it for any camera. I just prefer a Gopro because it's so small.
http://www.consummatesportsman.com/2012/08/bow-camera-mount-bowfinger-20.html

OP Offline
Originally Posted by penrod72
I enjoyed the video. I have tried to film some turkey hunts in the past, unsuccessfully for others. Did you edit with "professional" equipment, or more over the counter software? The different time lapse techniques were well done, and the blackout zoom. I also enjoyed the multiple camera angles. Thanks for sharing some of your hunts!

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I don't use professional grade equipment by any means. Editing is the hardest part though. For software I use Powerdirector 10. You can buy it on Amazon for around $50. Just make sure you have a computer with enough horse power to handle HD footage. It's a real bear.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Pugs
Nicely done. The inside of your truck is sure a lot cleaner than mine during hunting season! grin

Haha! That was the first week of season. You should see it now! smile

OP Offline
Originally Posted by cal74
Nice job, would have sent an arrow towards that coyote though.

You know, I thought about it. Real hard actually. This was my first sit at a stand I'd waited to hunt all year. A few monsters running around there. I decided since it was the last hour of day light, I'd hold off on the yote. I didn't want to screw up my chance at a big boy.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I enjoyed the video and think the editing was very nice. Good job.

I also enjoyed seeing some Michigan fall color again-it goes too darned quick.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, it is very nicely done.

The picture quality is great and the autumn atmosphere of the woods is perfectly rendered.

What is the total weight of the outfit as assembled on your bow?

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
OP Offline
Originally Posted by deersmeller
What is the total weight of the outfit as assembled on your bow?

I've never put it to a scale, but it's not too heavy. 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound maybe? You can tell it's there, but it's not cumbersome by any means.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great job on the video. Always wanted to do more of that. I need to be able to edit cause I am not a good videographer laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like it. I have a GoPro and have worn it attached to the headband. That works pretty well.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by eh76
Great job on the video. Always wanted to do more of that. I need to be able to edit cause I am not a good videographer laugh

Haha! I can relate! smile

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've been contemplating getting one because once in a while the gods smile down & I'll have all the bills paid & chores done...when that happen (which is rarely) I sometimes get to do things I wish I could capture on video...both topside & underwater...

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
I've been contemplating getting one because once in a while the gods smile down & I'll have all the bills paid & chores done...when that happen (which is rarely) I sometimes get to do things I wish I could capture on video...both topside & underwater...

I hear you. If you ever do purchase one, you'll enjoy it! They're great for underwater stuff too. Just make sure you get the upgraded case. Makes for much clearer video.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
BS Galore!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,517
Posts18,472,471
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.