Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cool.
where are you at?

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim, you make contact last night?

I sat with my bow in a piece of private farm ground. the owner wants me to thin out his white tails. saw a big heavy 4x4 white tail walk by at 20 yards, alas no more buck tags for me.
missed a doe at 35 yards, had another small buck at 20. going back tonight with a little fresh snow on the ground, hoping to connect. good luck everyone!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Jim, you make contact last night?

Nope. No deers last night or this morning. Its incredibly slow.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by fluffy
cool.
where are you at?

Minnehaha/Prior

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I layed next to a log tonight where I had shot a 9 point before during shotgun season. Had two nice does and a fawn at 10 feet for a little bit. The fawn sort of winded me and bolted but came back 5 minutes later and walked right up to me and stood there. It was pretty dang cool.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by fluffy
cool.
where are you at?

Minnehaha/Prior
not far at all.
Im at Thomas and Wheeler

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Monday is the first day of rifle season, here we go.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Good luck!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good luck Bill! Stay safe!

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Stan I read about your stuffed peppers a couple of pages back. I bet you are expecting me to say how good they sound, eh? They dont. I hate, HATE peppers. sick The meat part sounds good, then you gotta go ruin them with the pepper thing...whatcha thinkin'??? You better enjoy them now, because in 4 years when I am elected president, I am gonna outlaw green peppers. eek

Good luck to the muzzle stuffers. I did some pheasant hunting this weekend....we got 3 on Saturday in about 2 hours. Saw close to 50. On Sunday, got out with the boys and saw about 40 at a different place, but no shot opportunities. Which brings me to a question.....

My twin 4 year old boys love to go hunting with me. Just love it. Except 50 feet into our walk, they all of a sudden are "tired". They of course really arent tired as they can play at warp speed all afternoon, but ask them to walk in a straight line for 50 feet and they walk at 0.00001 miles per hour. Expecting this, I had them walk down the field road...same problem. I tried everything, but one of them was the pokeyist fella on earth! Any ideas on how to get them to walk at a normal pace? Bribes didnt even work (a trip to Cherry Berry).

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Leave em behind...they'll catch up. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I officially would like to nominate tzone for "Parent Of The Year"

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Berettaman, I too have the same problem,must be something with
4 yr old boys....
What works for me is i'll say hey Ty i bet you cant walk to that downed tree.. Or lets walk and check out the beavers chewing on the trees.....
I make big deal about stuff in woods keeps him going...

And sugar, with of course "dont tell your mother"..

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by goalie

I officially would like to nominate tzone for "Parent Of The Year"

grin

I have the oposite problem. I can't catch him!

BM...Truthfully, if they do that. The kids may not be ready to hit the woods with you on a hunt like that yet.

I brought my little guy out whlile building blinds, cutting wood, short grouse hunts, when he was 4, but I knew he wasn't ready to be on much else other than that.

Last year when he was 6 we went on a "real" deer hunt where he got to come in the woods with me to a stand. It was nasty cold and I asked him if he still wanted to go and he did. This year we went the entire last weekend. I was lucky and he weather was great.

He/we had a blast and he even rattled in a fork buck, which he still talks about. I try to get him more and more involved each year and it seems to be working.

My daughter (9) had NO desire to even go in the woods until this fall when she began asking about bow hunting. She wants to turkey hunt...which we will.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
This reminds me of the time my boys begged and begged for me to take them fishing in the boat. I was happy that they were finally showing interest so one beautiful summer day I took off work and got some things done around home in the morning. About 11:00 I made the boys and I a big lunch, sammiches, chips, assorted snacks, beverages...everything you would need for a great day on the water with your sons teaching them to fish from a boat. We went to a nearby lake and launched the boat at 11:30 or so. I had to pull the boat up to shore and run back and drive the truck and trailer to the parking area which is a ways away. Get back and start fishing and I let them use my rods while I rigged up their's. At about 11:47 they started asking if we were done yet and "can we go home now?" I said "boys we just started fishing...you just got your own rods to fish with....we......we havene't even had our lunch yet....nope...we are stayin out here longer than this!"

This is when the youngest one welled up in tears and put his head down on the opposite side of the steering counsel and said "This is offically the WORST day of my life!"

UP goes the trolling motor, ON goes the big motor and we head to shore to load 'er up for the day. I think we were home by 12:10.

The moral of the story is: Wait until they are ready.

grin

Last edited by Rooster7; 11/26/12.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
the funny thing is, they are veterans...well for 4 year olds anyway. They have already been duck, goose, pheasant, and deer hunting this year. In fact, they walked the very same field road to get to the deer stand at a normal pace! One was quite a bit worse than the other.

We kept it fairly short yesterday. I think I will chalk it up to them being young and unpredictable. As it gets colder, it might be the end of the their chances to get out this year.

On another note, I brought my 8 year old girl to SD on a 3 day pheasant hunt and she hunted all day, every day without 1 single complaint! she loved it!

Stan, green peppers? Really? I am sooo disappointed in you! crazy

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rooster7
This reminds me of the time my boys begged and begged for me to take them fishing in the boat. I was happy that they were finally showing interest so one beautiful summer day I took off work and got some things done around home in the morning. About 11:00 I made the boys and I a big lunch, sammiches, chips, assorted snacks, beverages...everything you would need for a great day on the water with your sons teaching them to fish from a boat. We went to a nearby lake and launched the boat at 11:30 or so. I had to pull the boat up to shore and run back and drive the truck and trailer to the parking area which is a ways away. Get back and start fishing and I let them use my rods while I rigged up their's. At about 11:47 they started asking if we were done yet and "can we go home now?" I said "boys we just started fishing...you just got your own rods to fish with....we......we havene't even had our lunch yet....nope...we are stayin out here longer than this!"

This is when the youngest one welled up in tears and put his head down on the opposite side of the steering counsel and said "This is offically the WORST day of my life!"

UP goes the trolling motor, ON goes the big motor and we head to shore to load 'er up for the day. I think we were home by 12:10.

The moral of the story is: Wait until they are ready.

grin

This is why I love the pontoon. It even has 2 live-wells, one for beer, one for fish or bait.....

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Since were talking about kids and hunting here is us on duck opener..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
GREAT pics noduck!

Page 1,035 of 1,842 1 2 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,397
Posts18,488,893
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.