Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just picked up the mag, just to read this dang article!

GB1

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Long time reader, short time poster here. Just thought I'd chime in with my $0.02. I think the reason people get stuck on pressure so much is because it just makes sense. People figure:

faster twist = harder to push a bullet = higher pressure

It also makes sense that pressure will be higher if you think about it from the perspective of energy. The energy of a bullet is equal to it kinetic energy plus it rotational energy. So a bullet fired from a 1:8 twist 223 at the same velocity of as a bullet that comes out of a 1:12 twist 223 will have more total energy because it is spinning faster. How does it get more energy? The only way is to increase the work done on the bullet. Work = force x distance, and the force on the bullet comes from pressure. Obviously pressure isn't constant as a bullet moves down the barrel, but in general you have to increase the average pressure to increase velocity.

With all these thoughts swirling in my head I thought I'd run some numbers. A 55 grain bullet at 3300 fps will have about 1330 ft-lb of kinetic energy. At that velocity a 1:12 twist bullet will spin at 3300 rev/s and a 1:8 twist bullet will spin at 4950 rev/s. Rotational energy is 1/2 x moment of inertia x angular velocity^2. For simplicity I calculated a moment of inertia for a cylindrical shape. After plugging everything and making a few units conversions I got the following:

1:8 twist rotational energy = 5.1 ft-lb
1:12 twist rotational energy = 2.3 ft-lb

Pretty much negligible compared to 1330 ft-lb. If your gun has 22 in barrel, the extra force on the bullet to get that extra 2.8 ft-lb of energy is 1.6 lb. It takes 124 psi on the back of a 0.224-in diameter bullet to get that force. Again, it's important to note I'm talking about the average increase over the length of the barrel and not an increase in peak pressure. Also, due to inefficiency, I would guess the actual increase in pressure to be somewhat higher. Still, even if the increase is on the order of 500 psi the change is less than 1% of 60,000 psi. Somebody with more experience than me can chime in, but I would have to wonder if a strain gauge on a pressure barrel would even catch that.

Long story short. The idea of fast twist = higher pressure makes sense intuitively, but the numbers don't add up.

PS Feel free to double check math, this was a rush job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn't take near the energy to spin a bullet as it does to accelerate or push it through air. And if it won't spin in the barrel, it will just rip the jacket off. No ballistic lab to back me up, but makes sense if you turn one in your fingers, throw it in the air, or take a pare of pliers to it. FWIW.....my .02�

Sean
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
How should one go about breaking in a fast twist barrel?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Shoot it....

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B2

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ironbender
How should one go about breaking in a fast twist barrel?

Spit on your pinky and put it in the chamber.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Firth
Long time reader, short time poster here. Just thought I'd chime in with my $0.02. I think the reason people get stuck on pressure so much is because it just makes sense. People figure:

It also makes sense that pressure will be higher if you think about it from the perspective of energy. The energy of a bullet is equal to it kinetic energy plus it rotational energy. So a bullet fired from a 1:8 twist 223 at the same velocity of as a bullet that comes out of a 1:12 twist 223 will have more total energy because it is spinning faster. How does it get more energy? The only way is to increase the work done on the bullet. Work = force x distance, and the force on the bullet comes from pressure. Obviously pressure isn't constant as a bullet moves down the barrel, but in general you have to increase the average pressure to increase velocity.

With all these thoughts swirling in my head I thought I'd run some numbers. A 55 grain bullet at 3300 fps will have about 1330 ft-lb of kinetic energy. At that velocity a 1:12 twist bullet will spin at 3300 rev/s and a 1:8 twist bullet will spin at 4950 rev/s. Rotational energy is 1/2 x moment of inertia x angular velocity^2. For simplicity I calculated a moment of inertia for a cylindrical shape. After plugging everything and making a few units conversions I got the following:

Pretty much negligible compared to 1330 ft-lb. If your gun has 22 in barrel, the extra force on the bullet to get that extra 2.8 ft-lb of energy is 1.6 lb. It takes 124 psi on the back of a 0.224-in diameter bullet to get that force. Again, it's important to note I'm talking about the average increase over the length of the barrel and not an increase in peak pressure. Also, due to inefficiency, I would guess the actual increase in pressure to be somewhat higher. Still, even if the increase is on the order of 500 psi the change is less than 1% of 60,000 psi. Somebody with more experience than me can chime in, but I would have to wonder if a strain gauge on a pressure barrel would even catch that.

Long story short. The idea of fast twist = higher pressure makes sense intuitively, but the numbers don't add up.

Good post, but that's because I like math.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Firth,

If you continue to provide accurate data and analysis, and good common sense, you will probably be in trouble here.

You will be messing with the minds of the totally convinced who have no basis for their convictions, but feel very strongly about them.

I'm waiting for someone to chime in and say that your data would be different if a rifle has a left hand twist instead of a right hand twist.

Steve

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
Firth,

If you continue to provide accurate data and analysis, and good common sense, you will probably be in trouble here.

You will be messing with the minds of the totally convinced who have no basis for their convictions, but feel very strongly about them.

I'm waiting for someone to chime in and say that your data would be different if a rifle has a left hand twist instead of a right hand twist.

Steve

The angular velocity vector would point the other way. grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And what about the Coriolis effect???

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ingwe

Can you get those in the leopard skin pattern...?

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

You're getting dangerously close to the cornholius effect.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Now, dats a good one! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman

DF

The Swedish judge gives it an 7.8 plus one bonus point for taking a poke at Ingwe! wink

Errrr... wait, in light of the topic of discussion and that Ingwe is involved, my phrase "taking a poke at Ingwe" does not sound quite right either! grin

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Firth,

When it comes to guns and stuff, the guys who posted after I did really do know what they are talking about.

The other extraneous issues they brought up are just plain funny.

But in any event, welcome to the Fire.

Steve

Last edited by 7x57STEVE; 11/29/12.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I should have thanked Firth for taking the time to quantitatively make the point. When this subject was hashed a while back I did a similar calculation which indicated, to me at least, the differences in angular KE ought to be lost in the noise.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A little late to the party, but good post, Firth.

Nice when people take the time to quantify a few things and squash old wives tales with facts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northcountry
I am guessing then that a gain twist would hep both problems; pressure and stability. Just guessing mind you. Cheers NC

They tried that in the Carcano.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Firth

nice post, but I prefer guessing and feelings. whistle

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by mathman

DF

The Swedish judge gives it an 7.8 plus one bonus point for taking a poke at Ingwe! wink

Errrr... wait, in light of the topic of discussion and that Ingwe is involved, my phrase "taking a poke at Ingwe" does not sound quite right either! grin

John

I'll bet you will get GFY shorty....just sayin'

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (1OntarioJim, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 320090T, 257 roberts, 3dtestify, 21 invisible), 1,190 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,093
Posts18,522,161
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.