Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
The problem is with the last round in the mag it seems to jam up when I try to push it into the chamber. The end of the cartridge dives right down into the mag causing the bolt to go over the case. Here is a photo of what it looks like. Any help in getting this fixed would be great.

[Linked Image]

"I hump the wild to take it all in, there is no bag limit on happiness".
~ Ted Nugent
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It must be the Bushnell scope! J/K

A couple things come to mind -
First, check to see if your follower is hanging up and stopping before the last round is pushed all the way to the top of the mag. If this happens, the shell base will fall down as you push forward.

Second thing to check is if the mag lips are bent or otherwise not holding the cartridge evenly front to back. Take the rifle out of the stock and see if you can gently bend the mag box a little bit in or out, depending on how it looks to see if the cartridge will release evenly. You may also have an obstruction between the mag box and stock sides that are causing the mag box to be slightly deformed so the last cartridge isn't square to the mag box as it comes up to the feed ramp.

Also, the magazine box may not have been put in properly when the rifle was last taken out of the stock. Make sure it is in the bottom metal recesses and matches up with the action lips when it is tightened down.
Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 11/29/12.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Is it a SM? Hard to tell from the pic at that angle.

My 300SAUM would slide over the top of the rounds as pictured, but I can't remember if it was the top or bottom round. Anyway, I bent the middle of the mag box in slightly on each side, similar to an hour glass figure if you will. It helped the problem.

Anxious to see what others have found to work. Never had this issue on many LAs or SAs, but these dang SMs are a different story. My latest, a 270WSM, feeds like crap and the last round is a bear to push home. Hoping a polish job smooths things out. If you run live rounds through it now, both the bullet and case look like they just got skipped across a broom finish slab.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I had a 270 WSM that did that. Finally had to get rid of it. It shoot good too.

Marc
Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
It is a 300 wsm and the brass dose get scratched pretty damn bad when feeding. Haha the bushnell scope is only on there for now, there will be a leupold or zeiss on it in the spring.

Last edited by quackquackbang; 11/29/12.

~ Ted Nugent
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Feed rails are likely too tight.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd take it apart and see if all the internals were arranged properly (magbox not caught up funny, follower in place) and try again. I like Loder's suggestion of tweaking in the sides of the box slightly, too.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Wyatt makes magazine that is a single-stack feeder...easy solution that works.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
From your picture it looks like the base of the case is still pretty low in the mag box and that the bolt would hit the side of the case versus catching the base. I too would think something is probably binding the follower/spring preventing the cartridge from being raised enough for the bolt to pick it up properly.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by quackquackbang
The problem is with the last round in the mag it seems to jam up when I try to push it into the chamber. The end of the cartridge dives right down into the mag causing the bolt to go over the case. Here is a photo of what it looks like. Any help in getting this fixed would be great.

[Linked Image]

Factory or reloaded ammo?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had a custom rifle act up like this on a .270 wsm. When I phoned Karl Feldcamp he said he has seen quite a few WSM's of the Remington 700's and its custom clones not feed. So when he came to hunt w/ me, he phoned his wife to send him a Ruger follower, a long action spring and ordered a new mag box from Midway. When we came back from hunting, he took it all apart and put in the assortment of new ones. Now, it feeds like it should. Give Karl a call and ask him what exactly he did for Steve's rifle and I am sure he would be happy to walk you though the process.

Last edited by Greenbrier; 11/29/12.
Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Thanks for all the help guy's. I bent the mag box in the middle on both sides like suggested and it now feeds great. grin

Last edited by quackquackbang; 11/30/12.

~ Ted Nugent
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always like rifle you can bend a little to get workin' properly.

I've got a .204 Ruger in 700 that you can't keep cartridges in. Faster'n you can try to squeeze the next one in, the first one pops out.

Might need a bendin'.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
!!! Wildly popular, talented but deeply flawed, kinda fugly, and gets no respect - the 700 is the Rodney Dangerfield of rifles. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mako25
I always like rifle you can bend a little to get workin' properly.

I've got a .204 Ruger in 700 that you can't keep cartridges in. Faster'n you can try to squeeze the next one in, the first one pops out.

Might need a bendin'.

Bend it and report back....Please don't try to bend the bolt handle though.... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It has an aftermarket stock, and barrel - they should be stout 'nough to use as a leverage point to bend the factory stuff around 'til it works. >grins<

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (69sportfury, 35, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 6 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,514
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.