-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi guys. I just picked up a new Martin Saber and I was wondering about the proper broadhead weight to use on it. How do you determine what the proper weight is? Right now I have 125 Thunderheads, but I am wondering if 100 grain or even 85 grains would be better. Thanks.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is a lot like the heavy or light bullet question.

I shoot 125 Slick tricks my neighbor shoots 100 grain slick tricks. His are about 30fps faster and slightly flatter shooting. In theory mine should dive a bit deeper through the animal. I don't know the answer but I would certainly not go below 100 grains. I hunt pigs with my bow and that thick plate really takes the steam out of light broadheads/arrows. The 125's have just been so good that I stick with them. I did shoot 100[s for a short time and had a few wind/ flight issues so quickly changed back to 125's again.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have been happy with the 125 Thunderheads, but a guy at the archery shop last night said that the arrows I shoot (Easton Carbonaeros) have a spine rating for 100grains or something? I didn't really follow. I'm not sure if he was blowing smoke or for real which is why I asked here...

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The spine is what keeps the arrow straight at the moment of release. Or maybe put another way it keeps the "flex" to a minumum. However the weight of that arrow has to provide a proper balance point with the weight of the tip, or broadhead. I don't know of a reason that the head would be too light or too heavy based on the spine, other then the accuracy potetial based on the proper balance point.

Shoot them, if they are perfectly accurate then I would say your good to go. 25 grains of weight is only the amount of one .22 caliber airgun pellet it's not gonna be a huge difference where spine is concerned. Spine weight would be more important if the arrows were too light for the draw weight, or even too heavy.

I have shot 100 through 175 grain heads withn the same arrow and not had any significant issue's.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks JJ. I'll get the bow sighted in and see how they do.

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sam, JJ is right on. Todays carbon arrows are very strong and stiffly spined for many different tip weights. Aluminum arrows are a whole different game than carbons. Aluminum arrows have extreme variations in wall thicknesses and a shooter needs to be more careful about choosing proper spin to tip weight. Most carbon arrows in todays bows will hand anything from 85 to 160 grains. With that said, it oftens aids accuracy to pick a spined arrow for the broadhead weight you shoot.

I shot 100 grain thunderheads for years, but find 125 grain Slick Tricks and Thunderheads penetrate better and buck slight breezes much better. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Drat, Flinch got to add that before I had a chance. I was gonna say that carbon arrows are the best thing since sliced bread & have effectively reduced the whole fletch-arrow-head tuning process to a non-issue. Couple that with the single cams, releases, and a whisker biscuit and bow tuning is a breeze too. Like anything, consistency in equipment goes a long way to improving the end result.

BTW, I still gotta give those Slick Tricks a go ...

B.I.C.
'tikka
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I figured that if I had to switch weights I would look at the 100 grain Slick Tricks. I might still switch to the Slick Tricks, but not right away. Thanks for the info guys...

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just get them on order now because you will eventually use them. It's best to just get it over with.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Order? They have them in stock at my local bow shop. 85's 100's and 125's. After dropping a bunch of cash on my new bow, I don't know if my wife would be too pleased with me dropping some more. Maybe they will go on the birthday list...

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess I put my situation in the things I write too often. I live nowhere near anything I can actaully just go and buy, or even see in the flesh!

Because of that I figured everyone had to order them!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I used to be in that situation so I understand. I'm just fortunate enough to have a good bow shop about 3 minutes away.

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
To get the most from your set up, make sure you follow the arrow manufacturer's charts for spine selection. Poundage, arrow length, overdraw, type of cam, release or fingers, and broadhead weight are all factors to be considered in getting the best efficiency from your particular bow.

D
D
Proper BH weight should be a consideration of FOC

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 64 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,417
Posts18,507,258
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.