Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was talked into the HID conversion for the rhino. Its sorta plug and play although the instructions are not great, it all worked on the first try and nothing had to be cut or spliced or otherwise modified. Now that I've done it the instructions seem easy, but there were a couple things that came up which made me scratch my head along the way.

These 35 watt HID lights are impossible to look at when on, they are the brightest whitest lights you can imagine. 150 bucks for the kit and about an hour to install. They draw less current then the factory head lights, and provide many many times the light output, but much whiter light.

Even the high beams work! the other "kits" had only one beam not the high/ Low beams.

I have on order two big ( ridged) LED lights because I thought I was gonna need more. Now I'm not so sure. I originally wanted to change to HID to reduce the amp draw on my system with the LED lights turned on. However the LED's draw less then 1/2 the factory headlight current, and with the astonishing brightness of this HID swap, I think this will look like a locomotive or alien space craft with both sets of lights on. The Guy at Rigid, told me the LED lights will blow away the HID conversion, well............ I cannot imagine that. These HID lights are all you could hope for.

Seriously I have 8" high end PIAA lights on the land cruiser and these HID lights beat those easily.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
What brand kit did you buy?

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
From alternative off road.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
K
K
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I was talked into the HID conversion for the rhino. Its sorta plug and play although the instructions are not great, it all worked on the first try and nothing had to be cut or spliced or otherwise modified. Now that I've done it the instructions seem easy, but there were a couple things that came up which made me scratch my head along the way.

These 35 watt
peimar led lights[/color] [color:#000000]are impossible to look at when on, they are the brightest whitest lights you can imagine. 150 bucks for the kit and about an hour to install. They draw less current then the factory head lights, and provide many many times the light output, but much whiter light.

Even the high beams work! the other "kits" had only one beam not the high/ Low beams.

I have on order two big ( ridged) LED lights because I thought I was gonna need more. Now I'm not so sure. I originally wanted to change to HID to reduce the amp draw on my system with the LED lights turned on. However the LED's draw less then 1/2 the factory headlight current, and with the astonishing brightness of this HID swap, I think this will look like a locomotive or alien space craft with both sets of lights on. The Guy at Rigid, told me the LED lights will blow away the HID conversion, well............ I cannot imagine that. These HID lights are all you could hope for.

Seriously I have 8" high end PIAA lights on the land cruiser and these HID lights beat those easily.

I love to make use of led lights. They are best in terms of brightness and saving power

Last edited by kevinreed; 11/29/12.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Lamp wattage certainly does not equate to brightness anymore. How many lumens output if you know?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Without going to look, if I recall this accurately they are 3000 each, it might be like 3100. I don't know how to relate Lumens to Watts, because many other factors come into play. The lights are only 4" square. The size of the lights no longer matters either.

I swapped all the bulbs from my streamlights to LED conversion kits, and they now last over 2 hours (rather then 55min to 65min, and the light is absolutely blinding white. It was amazing to me that the shockproof million hour life span of this LED could also be so brilliant white and powerful, and at such a little cost!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
3000 lumens? Yup! Dat's bright!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good tip - I'll have to look into this for my rhino. Looking at the site, I also see some LED lights that would work well on my landcruiser winch bumper.

Sigh...so many things to spend one's $$ on....

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JJ, I had HID's on my Big Red and they were awesome, but not very weatherproof. After a few creek crossings and some very muddy, wet weekends, I gave up. I did buy some headlight assemblies for a CanAm 4 wheeler and adapted them to fit the Honda. A fair amount of work but worthwhile. They are made by Hella for CanAm and use ellipsoid technology. Very good illumination. I supplemented them with Rigid LED's and I have a great, reliable setup now.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This retrofit is only the bulbs and the ballasts. with a wiring harness that plugs into the existing factory plugs. The headlight housings are all stock Yamaha, as is the entire switch setup. The Ballasts are all sealed aluminum extruded housings. They are submersible!

The bulbs may not be waterproof but they are in the factory sockets and housings. I was required to cut a small hole with a razor to push the new plug through to connect. After that I used black Hight temp silicone to smear over the wires and the seal the hole.

Whatever it takes to make this work is worth the improvement. I also bought the Rigid 4" LED driving lights. I have not installed them yet but I can only imagine from what I have heard that they will blow away the HID lights. My HID lights are more powerful by a noticeable amount over the PIAA driving lights on the land cruiser. How much better can the LEDs be?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You'll find the LED's probably won't illuminate as far, but they have a really good, uniform spread of very natural light. I think you'll like them.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (22kHornet, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 219 Wasp, 50 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,859
Posts18,517,753
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.