-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was actually a Montana Muley with a squirely rack. I just checked and I was pushing those 140 VLD's at 3410 fps which means impact speed was something around 3300 at 110 yards. I agree with both of you - faster than prudent. They shot so well on paper (and it was the load McWhorter had developed for the rifle) that I figured WTF. Looks like you guys have a pile of critters that suffered better results. John, what has been your experience with meat damage at reasonable impact velocities?

GB1

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I shoot Berger 230gr. Hybrids out of my 300WSM at a bit over 2700fps, and a month ago on a deer hunt in Utah, this round killed two deer, both dropped on the spot. They were target rounds, but they performed exactly as the hunting rounds do, no exploded shoulder, but a pretty large exit cavity. I've always been that you don't want the impact velocity to be above 3200fps, so I usually keep my velocities below that, I rarely use a load with over 3000fps in any of my rifles just to keep it safe.

�A free people ought to be armed.�

Weatherby Vanguard 7mm-08Rem
Remington 721 30-06
Ruger M77 MK2 270Win
Savage Model 16 LH 300WSM
Savage Model 110 LH 243Win/284Win
On the way: Stag Model 7HL
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Killertraylor...........Forgot to ask. What was your best guess for bullet impact speed on that WT??

...........Well just for the heck of it, I went over to the reloadersnest site to find any 6.5 Weatherby Mag loading data.

They show one submitted loading for a 264/300 Wby Mag. I assume that your 6.5 Bee Mag is based on a necked down 300 Wby casing? Samo samo?

A 140 gr SMK @ 3470 MV. If your VLDs MV was at or near that speed, then the impact speed @ 110 yards on your WT would have been about what? Guessing without using an external ballistics calculator maybe around 3300 to 3350 fps?

If so and in reading Burns last post, that may explain such a huge entrance wound. Maybe too much VLD impact speed causing the blow up.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Killertraylor
That was actually a Montana Muley with a squirely rack. I just checked and I was pushing those 140 VLD's at 3410 fps which means impact speed was something around 3300 at 110 yards. I agree with both of you - faster than prudent. They shot so well on paper (and it was the load McWhorter had developed for the rifle) that I figured WTF. Looks like you guys have a pile of critters that suffered better results. John, what has been your experience with meat damage at reasonable impact velocities?
........AHHH HA! Busted!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh....I thought so. That`s why I went to check the reloadersnest site for some 6.5 Bee Mag data.

3410 fps MV ay? Guessing about a 3275-3325 fps impact then.

Looks like we found the probable cause of the blow up.

Try slowing dem VLDs down a little next time... laugh laugh laugh laugh

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
the forum wouldn't let me sign in for nearly an hour cause all the user names were taken so in frustration I typed aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah and it worked!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, don't be frustrated sometimes 24hr site works slow. BTW, your user name is fine...... Actually it's one of my wife's favorite words.

Originally Posted by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
I stopped counting big game kills a decade ago at 140 assorted big game.

Nice aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, post up your pictures! Look forward to seeing them.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Show pictures of shoulders please

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nah, I just pulled them and inserted Nosler 140 Partitions in their place. Still sub .5MOA and problem solved! smile I sure like the way the Bergers shot, and I might give them a whirl again in a standard caliber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some really nice whitey's there John!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
140 VLD's work well at 3,000 fps in a 6.5-284.

DF

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm a Sierra guy, GK or PH, it doesn't really matter. However, I have tried some Berger VLD's in 308 (155) and 30-06 (168). All I can say is that these are wicked bullets. When you shoot a whitetail at 50 yards and get an exit hole the size of a softball... when you see chunks of lung hanging in the brush... you know you're using something wicked.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 140 vlds just plod along with a starting 2870 fps. Don't kick, fly flat enough, and nothing walks away with a remotely good hit. And don't lose hardly any meat.

Lot of good pics on this thread, some really awesome bucks. That 105 243 bullet kind of intrigues me. Need to look up oal and twist required to run that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Killertraylor
........AHHH HA! Busted!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh....I thought so. That`s why I went to check the reloadersnest site for some 6.5 Bee Mag data.

3410 fps MV ay? Guessing about a 3275-3325 fps impact then.

Looks like we found the probable cause of the blow up.

Or use a premium bullet and do not worry about velocity! That is what I do because I do not know what I will encounter. I.E. my elk kills have been from 15 feet to 778 yards.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Aaah: Your first and biggest mistake is shooting any Deer through the shoulders!
I could care less about what bullet performance comes from your error.
IF, you have time to aim and mishoot a Deer through its shoulders then you have enough time to properly place your bullet!
And that proper bullet placement has NOTHING to do with shooting a Deer through its shoulders!
PERIOD!
Shoot the Deer PROPERLY, through the heart/lungs, and you WILL have a dead Deer quite readily!
AND you will not be wasting the wonderful venison meat through bloodshot and bone splatter as when shoulder shot!
ON TOP OF THOSE THINGS the enhanced amount of Deer meat you will have after proper bullet placement WILL also taste better - as much of the Deers blood will drain out of the flesh and onto the ground OR into the chest cavity!
Ever wonder WHY butchers "bleed" cattle when they are slaughtered - it is to get rid of as much blood as possible from the creatures flesh.
This enhances the quality and taste of the meat.
Same principal applies to shooting a Deer through the heart/lungs.
Shooting a Deer through the shoulders invites a whole host of problems for the "Hunter" - don't do it!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Well I guess we are all victims of our experiences and here are a few more. The idea that a 130gr VLD will turn on a whiteys shoulder is simply way beyond anything I have seen as the VLD always punches through any bone I have seen in any situation.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Must be just freaking lucky that the VLD somehow worked.

Maybe the bullet landed in a somewhat vital area???

Sorry to quote ALL the pics but they make my point!!

Hey John! - I'll MOVE and be YOUR next door NEIGHBOR. laugh laugh

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Originally Posted by Tanner
So you recovered them from dead deer?

I was wondering the same thing. If so then they did work.....

Hank & Tanner -

I differ from y'all and others. Just because an animal dies AND you recover it, does NOT mean the bullet performed as it SHOULD.

I'm dogmatic about this for MYSELF. I DO NOT hunt bullets for big game that separate core/jacket with ANY frequency.

This is just what I demand of a BG bullet.

YMMV.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hunters will argue about caliber, bullet performance, control round vs push feed, etc. I use what works for me in my hunting situation. For me it has been the 168gr Berger Hunting VLD in several 30/06s, 300WM and 300RUM. I am always concerned with bullet placement and will pass on any iffy shot. Got about 50 whitetails and 20 or so hogs with the Bergers, have not lost any due to the bullet. I place the bullet in one of three places, Head, neck, heart/lung. Never been a shoulder shooter, loose too much meat. Really don't think a premium bullet is necessary to kill whitetails. Another bullet I use for whitetails/hogs in 30cal is the Sierra 165gr BTHP Gameking.
But if one wants to use a premium bullet for whitetails/hogs, that is their choice.Rick.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ricksmith
Hunters will argue about caliber, bullet performance, control round vs push feed, etc. I use what works for me in my hunting situation. For me it has been the 168gr Berger Hunting VLD in several 30/06s, 300WM and 300RUM. I am always concerned with bullet placement and will pass on any iffy shot. Got about 50 whitetails and 20 or so hogs with the Bergers, have not lost any due to the bullet. I place the bullet in one of three places, Head, neck, heart/lung. Never been a shoulder shooter, loose too much meat. Really don't think a premium bullet is necessary to kill whitetails. Another bullet I use for whitetails/hogs in 30cal is the Sierra 165gr BTHP Gameking.
But if one wants to use a premium bullet for whitetails/hogs, that is their choice.Rick.

Well Rick you make too much sense. But say if you blow both their shoulders up they aren't running off. Hit large bone and you're going to have a mess. But say that takes a lot of thought. Dah!

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Blaaablabla.
Blablabla!
Blablablabla!
Blabla.
blabla.
Blablabablablabla!!
Piss into the wind
VarmintGuy

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aaah: Your first and biggest mistake is shooting any Deer through the shoulders!
I could care less about what bullet performance comes from your error.
IF, you have time to aim and mishoot a Deer through its shoulders then you have enough time to properly place your bullet!
And that proper bullet placement has NOTHING to do with shooting a Deer through its shoulders!
PERIOD!
Shoot the Deer PROPERLY, through the heart/lungs, and you WILL have a dead Deer quite readily!
AND you will not be wasting the wonderful venison meat through bloodshot and bone splatter as when shoulder shot!
ON TOP OF THOSE THINGS the enhanced amount of Deer meat you will have after proper bullet placement WILL also taste better - as much of the Deers blood will drain out of the flesh and onto the ground OR into the chest cavity!
Ever wonder WHY butchers "bleed" cattle when they are slaughtered - it is to get rid of as much blood as possible from the creatures flesh.
This enhances the quality and taste of the meat.
Same principal applies to shooting a Deer through the heart/lungs.
Shooting a Deer through the shoulders invites a whole host of problems for the "Hunter" - don't do it!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Or use a partition or a swift or a barnes X and destroy the shoulders and take the deer home.

Nosler users been doing this since 1948.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

VarmintGuy

^^This is good advice for bow hunting^^ Or if your eating varmint shoulders wink
Breaking shoulder bone is king for me. Nothing wrong with poking heart/lungs.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 32 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,440
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.