Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Great info guys!

Am I gonna like the Jewell on a hunting rifle or is it too delicate with too tight of tolerances?

Run the Jewell - you'll love it!!

Just keep the oil out of it & it'll run like a champ. Flush once or twice a year with Zippo lighter fluid and you'll have no issues.

Last edited by 300MAG; 11/30/12.
GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Ken I'm sure you will enjoy the Jewell trigger they are well made I"ve been using them om my hunting rifles for 14 years in the dusty condtions of Nevada to minus zero temps of Idaho and Montana and never one issue, just squirt some lighter fluid thru it once a year and it will stay dirt free, they can be broke by piercing or popped primers but that should not be happening as a general rule...I hope!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I know a 'smith friend of mine doesn't recommend Jewell on hunting rifles. Looser tolerances are prefered on harder use rifles. I would sell the Jewell and just get a Timney.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one in an Edge with a Hart Fluted #4 from McWhorter. It is the nicest rifle I own. It is first class in every way. I haven't handled a Borden but they look very nice as well.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I really like my Jewell triggers. As was just noted, some say they aren't as tough as a Timney. Dunno myself -- never had either fail.

The Jewell HVR wants to be run light even though it's their hunting model. I find that at pull weights above 2lb there's a little creep, but it's very little. I run mine at 1.75lb. The Timney trigger will break more crisply at heavier pulls.

The Timney has a wide shoe and the Jewell is quite narrow. That's all a matter of personal preference.

IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I know a 'smith friend of mine doesn't recommend Jewell on hunting rifles. Looser tolerances are prefered on harder use rifles. I would sell the Jewell and just get a Timney.

Alot of smiths do reccomend them....so explain what a hard use rifle is!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Am I gonna like the Jewell on a hunting rifle
Hell yes Ken, you will like it. My jewell triggers has been dragged all over N.America & never one issue. I've never cleaned or oiled the trigger either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the Rifle Basix in mine. Never heard anything bad about a Jewell

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've not used a jewell, but like the Shilen triggers so well that I'm not inclined to try anything else.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I've not used a jewell, but like the Shilen triggers
Ive got 2 Shilen triggers as well...love'em. Shilen, Jewell, Timney, or 700 triggers w/sear tuned are all sweet!

Right hand rifles are more accurate then Left handers, but I'm sure Ken will be able to get 2-3" groups100yards with it.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have been thinking about ordering a LH Stiller Predator to build a 220 Swift on

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a Predator with a Jewell trigger and have banged it all over Alaska from snow/rain/dust, etc. My Predator was one from the very first batch and was a short mag that I had a 300WSM built on. There were some bugs with ejection but once they got it fixed it's been flawless, as well as the trigger.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have several Jewells and Shilens. I prefer a Shilen at 2-2.5lbs. The Jewell is a little creepy at that weight. Neither has failed me though. I do flush them with lighter fluid before each hunt or before a shooting match on my comp. rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i have had a predator circa 2006 with a rem extractor and it was a great action....

I now have a pierce action and its a great action as well... maybe a little bit tighter than a predator, which can be good or bad depending on usage

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I have one that I had a .260 put together on and am absolutely in love with that rifle. Locks up like a vault, shoots great, feels great, feeds and extracts great and looks great. I simply haven't found anything to not like about it. I'm sure there are other makes just as good, but I would use another Stiller without hesitation. John

My sentiments exactly.

My rig is a Stiller Predator, 22in No4 Lilja bbl chambered in 260Rem , Jewell trigger, all in a Hunters Edge. It wears a 3-9x Kahles in Talley lightweights.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Love mine like a child well close. It's an 338 edge manners 30" brux Jerry's guys made me a one hole monster.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by herschel34
Robert Gradous recommended I use a LH Stiller Predator for my next build. I don't think he would recommend it if it wasn't good.

Interesting...

The land of the free because of the brave.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by tlfw
Originally Posted by herschel34
Robert Gradous recommended I use a LH Stiller Predator for my next build. I don't think he would recommend it if it wasn't good.

Interesting...

How so???

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tlfw stated in the other Stiller thread that Mr. Gradous will not build on a Stiller action.

I can neither confirm nor deny the veracity of this claim.

Lee (Redneck) will and by all accounts he's pretty darn good too.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Maybe he makes exceptions if you are a lefty.

I believ he likes Surgeon actions but those aren't easy to find South Paws.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (222Sako, 1234, 12344mag, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 45 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,131
Posts18,483,907
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.