Print Thread
Hop To
H
Hawken Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
What knife or knives do you prefer when you're butchering a deer?

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When skinning I like my Herter's Guide Association Approved Skinning Knife. You old timers will appreciate that.

If any of you are interested, these are the make of knives I use to cut up deer. Take a very good edge and easy to sharpen. My absolute favorites. I have a #31614 and a #31620. Worth the money.

http://www.dexter1818.com/Search_Form_results.asp?search=Boning Knife

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use an old set of F. Dick knives that I bought back when I had my wholesale Seafood business.
They work just as well on dead pigs and deer, as they did on large Tuna.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mannlicher; 12/02/12.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outside skinning and quartering.

sheep skinner

carbon steel boning

inside boning and slicing. I have a variety of these Forchner/Victorniox knives. miles

stainless steel boning

Edit to add that my sheep skinner has a smooth handle without the grip cutout. miles

Last edited by milespatton; 12/02/12.

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That top blue knife has a blade shape similar to Menefee's catfish knife.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hawken;
For a number of years we had several friends who lived in town bring their game to our rural home to process.

While I can't tell you exactly how many animals we've done since starting to cut up our own in the late '80's, I'd think we must have surpassed the 150 mark. I should clarify too that's been a mixture of mostly mule and whitetail deer with a dozen or so black bears, a couple moose and at least one sheep thrown in too.

Anyway over that time we've amassed a mixed collection of knives, mostly from commercial meat cutting suppliers. By the looks of the photo below we've ended up with more Forschner/Victorinox blades than any other, but I see at least two Hook Eyes, one F Dyck, one Rapala, an Old Hickory and a couple others I can't recall right now.
[Linked Image]

For meat cutting we've found that something a bit softer that will sharpen quickly with a carbide pull through type sharpener and then be able to be touched up easily with a steel is best for us.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir and all the best to you in the upcoming Christmas Season.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed.

I have butchered more deer than I can remember. The knives I/we have always used most are:

Russell Green River
Dexter-Russell
Forshner
Victorinox

And the like. Old Hickory, etc.

They are basically commercial grade kitchen knives and take an edge easily......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Forshner/Victorinox knives for the actual butchering process.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When butchering I always grab my entire kitchen knife block plus the one F. Dick boning knife. The Chicago cutlery isn't the best but they do get the job done. This year's spike elk was taken away from home and we butchered it up using my friends' knives. It was interesting to experience the large array of blades. The old Rapala fillet knife was my favorite. For certain my Menefee fillet knife will be used on my next critter.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the left is my outside preliminary skining and dressing knives and the rest are for the breaking down and finishing work. Some I made and some I have inherited and it should be clear which two those are as they have done aa lot of work over the years and are both very good knives and treasured for coming from a parent and a grandparent.
The black handled straight blade is the only one bought for purpose.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by VonGruff; 12/02/12.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I debone mine as they are hanging. If it is skinned already and not frozen, I can have one cut and wrapped in 30 to 40 minutes if I have one guy helping.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rod44; 12/02/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use these that were handed down.
[Linked Image]
And a couple of CS Green Rivers with cocobolo scales by yours truely.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rod44
I debone mine as they are hanging. If it is skinned already and not frozen, I can have one cut and wrapped in 30 to 40 minutes if I have one guy helping.

Dang that is FAST!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by VonGruff
On the left is my outside preliminary skining and dressing knives and the rest are for the breaking down and finishing work. Some I made and some I have inherited and it should be clear which two those are as they have done aa lot of work over the years and are both very good knives and treasured for coming from a parent and a grandparent.
[Linked Image]

VG, what is the white handled job second from left of picture?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those RGR are awesome looking Charlie. I have been using that Ripper I did up for nearly everything it seems lately.

Cut up a deer with it, and used it on several steaks also. One just a few hours ago. grin It has become my favorite steak knife. I have a camp knife blank to do up also. Not sure if I will alter it much or not, like I did the Ripper....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm thinking I will put one finger groove in the camp knife, and probably blacken or acid etch the blade also, like the Ripper is now(top pic).....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by VonGruff
[Linked Image]

VG, what is the white handled job second from left of picture?

It is my small game knife. I made it from a swedish steel with ivory linnen micarta and knickle silver to be the little brother to the african blackwood and knickle silver big game knife. Sort of my version of ebony and ivory.
[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Looks comfortable, and useful with the thin blade.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (6MMWASP, 673, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1minute, 10 invisible), 1,809 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,945
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.