Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Actually, Sir, although I have 11 or 12 "versions" of the Bible in my library or on my computer, I read and study the sum total of ONE! It has never led me astray. God used that book to save my soul; to lead me to a church that would teach me; to get me into a baptistry in obedience to Him; to find me a wife; to call me to preach the Bible; to give me 15 years of preaching 3 times every week, and never have to repeat a message; to preach in 5 or 6 countries in the world (and never have to refer to another version); to lead some other souls to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ according to his mercy and grace.

Whenever the odd time comes that I look at some other version, it is to see how badly they screw it up so I can get more of the sense of the Bible that I read and believe. wink I'm weird, and I enter the plea of guilty, but it has worked for me for over 30 years, and I ain't going back to where I was before he saved me from the power of darkness and translated me into the kingdom of his dear Son.

The thing that I find funny, and I chuckle about is when someone tries to put up a translation into another language, their computer garbles it all up. grin Howling. Maybe the Lord is trying to make my point for me. English is where it is at. laugh

You bring the refried beans and jalepenos, and I'll supply the firewood for the campfire, clear cold nights, and let the Lord supply the Northern Lights.

Last edited by the_shootist; 12/02/12.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Ricky, Bigbuck, the same applies to you two fella's as well.

I hope one day this side of Heaven, we get the opportunity.

Too bad that we live so far apart. That would be a good gathering, especially if Keith brung the moose stew!

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Actually, Sir, although I have 11 or 12 "versions" of the Bible in my library or on my computer, I read and study the sum total of ONE! It has never led me astray. God used that book to save my soul; to lead me to a church that would teach me; to get me into a baptistry in obedience to Him; to find me a wife; to call me to preach the Bible; to give me 15 years of preaching 3 times every week, and never have to repeat a message; to preach in 5 or 6 countries in the world (and never have to refer to another version); to lead some other souls to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ according to his mercy and grace.

Whenever the odd time comes that I look at some other version, it is to see how badly they screw it up so I can get more of the sense of the Bible that I read and believe. wink I'm weird, and I enter the plea of guilty, but it has worked for me for over 30 years, and I ain't going back to where I was before he saved me from the power of darkness and translated me into the kingdom of his dear Son.

The thing that I find funny, and I chuckle about is when someone tries to put up a translation into another language, their computer garbles it all up. grin Howling. Maybe the Lord is trying to make my point for me. English is where it is at. laugh

You bring the refried beans and jalepenos, and I'll supply the firewood for the campfire, clear cold nights, and let the Lord supply the Northern Lights.

Amazing how that happens isn't it!? I too have my favorite Bible that has traveled the world with me. It's a trusty old friend with which the Lord and I have had many conversations through.

My friend, stick with what the Lord uses to speak to your heart. Not that you needed me or anyone else to validate that, but it's certainly pertinent to this conversation.

I love the original languages because of what the Holy Spirit reveals to me through them. I see no reason why He couldn't do the very same in any language. After all, it's His Word!

I know they say that you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but if you ever pick up a new language (Spanish, French, German, Pashtu....) pick up a Bible in that language. It will blow your mind!

Your evening under the stars sounds amazing. May it last until God provides a wondrous sunrise like only He can do!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Ricky, Bigbuck, the same applies to you two fella's as well.

I hope one day this side of Heaven, we get the opportunity.

Too bad that we live so far apart. That would be a good gathering, especially if Keith brung the moose stew!

Well, I one day have plans to move to Lewistown winkgrin

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just keep in mind, that even your English version says that Heaven will be filled with every nation, tribe, and TONGUE!!! grin

Turdlike, by default.
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Bet we'll all speak one language up there. A PURE language. Let you guess which one it might be. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
In English maybe, but the use of h�saut�s means that they need to be the wife of one husband also. wink
h�saut�s is not used in Timothy 3:2 concerning a Bishop being the husband of one wife, but in verse 3:8 where it means "likewise" such officers must also be serious, not double tongued and crave liquor or money. Expanding that word to include "likewise" the wife can also be a Bishop from 5 verses preceding, is more than a stretch in the way I read the Book, my friend. grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good observation Ricky, but that is indeed the difference between "likewise" and "h�saut�s", it does stretch the entire topic. smile

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bet we'll all speak one language up there. A PURE language. Let you guess which one it might be. wink

I couldn't imagine! I'm still the dude needing a coal on his tongue! laugh

Then again, I do speak English.... grin

Turdlike, by default.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Hosautos sounds like a Latino's car to me. Does it have hydraulics?

Brother Keith

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'm still the dude needing a coal on his tongue! laugh
You're in good company, my friend. We're ALL that dude. wink

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RickyD

The tongue can no man tame.

Thanks to The Lord God, He has made a way.

Steve

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Steven_CO
Originally Posted by RickyD

The tongue can no man tame.

Thanks to The Lord God, He has made a way.

Amen!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Parts of this thread remind of the opening of this Sunday's sermon. Annually we switch gospels and this was the first week of Luke and the priest was discussing why Luke's account of the end times is different from the others. In any case, perhaps it's "an old one" but was new to me.

"A young missionary was on a foreign continent and wrote home to ask for money so that he may have the Bible translated into the local language to help with his work. A woman in the parish took quite an exception with the young missionary's request and wrote back, 'If the King James version was good enough for St. Paul to do his missionary work I suppose it should be good enough for you!'"
grin

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I one day have plans to move to Lewistown winkgrin
Now wait just a minute!!!! SO DO I!!! shocked
Great, there goes the neighborhood..... blush grin

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
laugh

Race ya! wink

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hosautos sounds like a Latino's car to me. Does it have hydraulics?

laugh

Best line of the whole thread!

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
laugh

Race ya! wink
I more often than I should check real estate prices there vs. what I have here. You're going to win. cry

NRA Lifer

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
HJA,

Though I don't put much stock in the "originals", I have more than a passing knowledge of Latin, French and some of the Germanic languages which help me with the etyomology of English words. And I have a pretty decent English dictionary I use when I am stumped in the Spirit. wink

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With that background you should be pretty good with Old English too.

If you are, and if we ever get that "camp meeting", I'd cherish the opportunity to hear you read some.

It's a harsh but melodic sound. Kind of like the Scottish tongues.

I am always quite fascinated with etymology and I imagine that there is a lesson or two that you could share around the fire dealing with word origins. That would be very cool!

Turdlike, by default.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1minute, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,420
Posts18,489,106
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.