Print Thread
Hop To
R
RCB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I am considering applying for MZ elk in either Colorado Hunt unit 66 or 67. Does anyone have any input or experience as to these units. I have 15 preference points so drawing should not be an issue. Probably do a DIY hunt but would maybe consider an outfitter if price was right and they were good. Been looking at unit 76 which i have hunted before but point creep keeps drawing out of reach. It is a good unit, tough to draw and accessibility is a problem. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'd like to hunt ML in 67, might be able to draw next year as a resident. I'm not sure I'd blow 15 points though. Depends on what your expectations are I guess. Shooting a 340" bull is unlikely, but 300" might be possible. Both units are big with lots of public land, DIY is certainly an option. Wilderness area is available in both units if you want to pack in. I don't have any outfitter suggestions for you, but I'm sure that's an option too.

R
RCB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks for the information Waygoner. Gonna start doing my home work on these two units before its time to put in. Hopefully I'll draw Wyoming this year and will just put in for anothe preference point in CO. I hope to draw in CO one day soon before I get too old to chase those big fuzzy critters!

RCB
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I saw some monsters in 53, and evidence of a massive bull in 54. Less points for either. You may not have to wait too long in CO in the same general area. But, you already have enough points to draw either one several times over. At 15, you are getting up close to being in the 2/201 drawing zone and a better shot at some really big elk.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
....without knowing a ton on the units -- I might echo the above - 15 points is a LOT of points, I'd try and draw a SUPER TROPHY unit ....

are you just wanting a MZ hunt or a trophy hunt ?? not sure you need 15 for a decent hunt ....

BOOM!!!!
IC B2

R
RCB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Looking for a GOOD bull. I think any 6x6 over 310-320 & up is good bull. I live real close to NM where some great bulls roam but drawing a tag any more is tough. I'm open to hunting elk with anything except maybe a rock. Problem is is that my hunting partners son is coming along and he prefers a MZ or a rifle. I put in for elk in NM every year and hopefully I'll draw a tag before I'm too old to draw a bow.
Thanks for the information.

RCB
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
well if your partner and his son don't have the same number of points you are likely to run into the situation where you draw and they don't.

You could always bank your points and go for an OTC in a good area like 2nd Rifle in 54. You have to hunt real hard but, they're there

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I reiterate what many said here. I wouldn't burn my 15 points on 67 or 66. I hunt 67 every even year with 1 point earned in the off year. It is a good 1 point unit.....but would be a well below average 15 point unit. Do some research on the super trophy units that justify your wait decade and a half.
Good Luck.

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Have you hunted elk much here?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are talking to me, 4 seasons in 67 for me and about 8 seasons for my Dad and Uncles......it has become a tradition. Before that they hunted 551 for a couple decades.

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
IC B3

R
RCB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Yes. I've been fortunate to hunt New Mexico, Wyoming, Colorado and Montana. Hunted them with centerfire rifle, muzzleloader and with a bow. Suprizingly I've had most of my success with a bow on bulls and cow elk with a rifle. I'm still in pretty good shape but at 55 yrs. of age but I also know my years of chasing them in rough country is going to come to a halt in the the years to come. Almost all of my hunts were DIY hunts. Did hunt with several guides in the early years but as I've said most were DIY hunts with considerable success. Still looking for that elusive 320+ bull most of us dream of killing. I did manage to kill two nice 6x6's with a bow.

RCB
R
RCB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
To answer your question, no. Have hunted elk in unit 76 with a bow about 16 years ago. I hunted deer in 76 about 5 yrs. ago. Didn't see many elk and access has always been marginal int hat unit. I believe unit 76 is kind of over rated. When I hunted it 16 yrs ago there WERE some good elk. Also hunted unit 76 about 23 years ago and killed a nice 5x5 on a second season rifle hunt. It happened to snow and the animals were everywhere! I should of held out for a dandy because after I shot my elk I saw several real good 6x6. Isn't that how it always happens?

RCB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,633
Posts18,474,369
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.