Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Whisky Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I'm trying to decided between the Rem Classic or HTG stock for a build. I have a fluted #3 Bartlein "Heavy Sporter" barrel I will finish at 24" I'd like 8.5lb max finished weight, scoped, for the rifle, and I think either of these stocks with Edge fill would work for me. But I just want to make sure.

Thoughts and experiences? Does anybody have a weight on the HTG with Edge fill?

Thanks
Fisky

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a edge fill HTG inletted for a M700.
I do not have an accurate weight.
Best guess.
25 oz.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Fisky
I'm trying to decided between the Rem Classic or HTG stock for a build. I'd like 8.5lb max finished weight
Fisky, The Classic & Bartein #3 fit well together and would keep you at 8.5 or less. HTG is a much larger stock & suited better for a 5-8 contour.

I've got two Bartlein #3's sitting in Classic's if you wish to see pics.

Last edited by slg888; 12/05/12.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Classic

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fisky-I kind of flirt with the idea of a HTG for a WSM project. I like the stock, but I like it more for belly shooting than for offhand and or sitting. Though I do allright using those positions with it.

I had one on a M70 with standard fill and a #4.4 Schneider in .340 Wby. If I had it to do over again no doubt I'd go with Edge fill. And for me the #3 Brux 7 tube I have ordered would make for a fantastic rig for shooting at long range.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The HTG is a much larger stock than the Classic ? Not really. It will take up to a #8 barrel contour where I think the Classic stops at a #5. The HTG also has a very high comb, higher than the classic.
But the forend diameter and the pistol grip diameter are about the same. At least they feel very close to the same to me. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The HTG has a high comb? Whaaat?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Eremicus
The HTG also has a very high comb, higher than the classic.

Not really.

To the OP: I'd would go Standard Fill Classic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I'd would go Standard Fill Classic.

Ditto.....in fact I have several so configured.....

A 22" #2 or 3 in a regular filled Classic, talleys and a 3.5-10 CDS will put you at 7 1/2 to 7 3/4 every time.

I have a 23" # 4 lightly fluted with a 4.5-14 Mark IV with turrets on top, and it stops the scale at 8 lbs 3 ozs.

W
Whisky Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
You guys that say standard fill Classic instead of Edge, why? Would it balance better than an Edge filled Classic with that contour of barrel?

Safe to assume an Edge filled HTG would weigh less than a standard fill Classic, right?

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You guys that say standard fill Classic instead of Edge, why?
Personal preference Frisky. A few ounces is not enough for me to have a lighter-painted stock. All my classics weigh 28-31oz and never need to re-paint. Plus I like the McSwirly pattern look.

This Classic has a big #3 Bartlien(.712 Muzzle OD), H&S DBM & Defiance action. It weighs exactly 8.6lbs.

You put on a lighter scope & Talley rings,and go ADL, you'll be 7.75lbs no problem....With a good size barrel. I'm not a fan of feather weight barrels..just me. This .308win is a tack-driver..even on a bad day of shooting I can drill dimes with this rig.

Gradous & English put this one together.
[Linked Image] [/quote]

Last edited by slg888; 12/05/12.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
A #3 Bartlien is around .670 @ the muzzle so is basically most other makers #4, so personally I would not go Edge fill with a tube that size, a #3 that finishes @ .625 or smaller would be more suited for a Classic Edge!

I think it would be a little unlikely for an HTG in Edge to come in the same weight as a Classic with Edge, my Classic Edge came in at 25 oz's.

If your looking for a stiffer stock than you will need to go edge!

W
Whisky Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Nice rifle slg888....I too am not a fan of fetherweight rigs. I have a sub 7.5lb Sako Finnlight scoped, and I find I have a tough time shooting it to where I think I should be shooting it. Granted, it's still more than adequate for killing animals, but I know I can do better with just a little more weight.

On another sight I did find where Ryan from MCM said they can get HTG's down to 26oz, with half inch pads. Lighter than I was expecting. So throw a 1" pad on there and go Edge fill and weight will be pretty good yet, as should balance.

I should listen to all you guys and go Classic, but for some reason I'm stuck on an HTG yet. Never handled one though. I have a Classic, and it's OK.. I got a MCS-T on my heavy rifle and I love that stock. But it's a bit bulky and especially heavy for a dedicated hunting rifle. I'm just thinking an Edge filled HTG would be the compromise I'm looking for. Less weight and appears to be some less bulk than the MCS-T.. A lot of my shots would be prone, too.

W
Whisky Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by dave7mm
I have a edge fill HTG inletted for a M700.
I do not have an accurate weight.
Best guess.
25 oz.

dave

Dave, how you like the stocks as far as balance, bulk, etc ??

Thanks

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Check out the rifles on McMillan's website. They use Edge fill in the stocks on most of their rifles. The rifles are not light weights. I find it interesting that McMillan has almost exclusively chosen Edge fill. But what the heck do they know? grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice rifle slg888....I too am not a fan of fetherweight rigs. I have a sub 7.5lb Sako Finnlight scoped, and I find I have a tough time shooting it to where I think I should be shooting it. Granted, it's still more than adequate for killing animals, but I know I can do better with just a little more weight.

On another sight I did find where Ryan from MCM said they can get HTG's down to 26oz, with half inch pads. Lighter than I was expecting. So throw a 1" pad on there and go Edge fill and weight will be pretty good yet, as should balance.

I should listen to all you guys and go Classic, but for some reason I'm stuck on an HTG yet. Never handled one though. I have a Classic, and it's OK.. I got a MCS-T on my heavy rifle and I love that stock. But it's a bit bulky and especially heavy for a dedicated hunting rifle. I'm just thinking an Edge filled HTG would be the compromise I'm looking for. Less weight and appears to be some less bulk than the MCS-T.. A lot of my shots would be prone, too.

Look up "bulky" in the dictionary and there will be a picture of an HTG.

Bartlein's contours are pretty stout, I'd prefer a Standard Fill on your recipe in order to balance better.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Frisky, the Manners SL Lite or Mcmillan Sporter is a nice choice also. I miss my Manners SL! What scope are you planning to use?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fisky,
The GP/HTG to me is just like peas and carrots.
Pretty much all I use.
Since, like, 1986.....
The two up top have Hart No4s
The Campfire camo one is a Rockcreek No4.

The one thing I do a bit different is have the action skidded forward .5 of an inch over standard.
It mouses up the way the rifle looks at the tang area alittle bit.
But you have ALOT more room on the grip for your hand.
I do all mine that way.....
Neve noticed a balance issue unless Hubble is on board...

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
W
Whisky Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by slg888
Frisky, the Manners SL Lite or Mcmillan Sporter is a nice choice also. I miss my Manners SL! What scope are you planning to use?

I've also considered the SL from Manners. I called them and they can do molded in camo but that brings the weight back up to about 2 lbs. Again, I've never handled the SL but I am a Manners fan. Most I've talked to regarding this stock really like it for a med weight rifle. I've really been waffling back and forth on my stock choices. I got everything else figured out.It's tough when you haven't handled a lot of them and the wait time is what it is.

I plan to use a 6.5-20x40 VX3 LR, with M1s. Talley LW mounts. So a fairly light scope and mount set up...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm trying to decided between the Rem Classic or HTG stock for a build. I have a fluted #3 Bartlein "Heavy Sporter" barrel I will finish at 24" I'd like 8.5lb max finished weight, scoped, for the rifle, and I think either of these stocks with Edge fill would work for me. But I just want to make sure.

Thoughts and experiences? Does anybody have a weight on the HTG with Edge fill?

Thanks
Fisky

i much prefer the Classic. the HTG has a comb wayyyy too low for me. i had to put a stock pack on it and shim it with ~3/8" of closed cell foam. not fond of the porky forearm for general use either.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

340 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 1,988 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,848
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.