-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm, a handgun is the preferred weapon to be sure. Michael Collins of IRA/Flying Squad fame had his killers using pistols as "one does not miss from 2 feet away". The Cairo Gang and many others bit the dust due to his edict on pistols. Heavy caliber revolvers are never a bad thing.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
GB1

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Heavy caliber revolvers are never a bad thing.
I think that depends on which end you're on. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I expect that the US government will cease to exist in my lifetime; I�ve maintained that position for at least 15 years and I see more evidence of it, not less. When that happens, who knows what will happen. What I do know is, people will still need power, food, and money. So there may be a short time of �hunkering down�, but that period is very short, and most people try to return to normal out of necessity. And for most things, the �normal� is resumed, but crime skyrockets.

The biggest asset in the US when the national government collapses is the fact there are fifty sovereign nations already set up. Some of those sovereign nations are already chit holes but others will do quite well and maybe even better without a national government. One reason I don't usually stray to far from Montana is that Montana has slowly but surely put in place laws to deal when it becomes it's own sovereign nation again. More laws are on the way. I think most Western States realize they will be on their own when the national government fails and are in better position to go it alone until they can form regional governments. Hopefully, we have all learned that federalism is a failure for freedom and con-federalism is a better choice for freedom.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Everything is situational dependant, think "METT."

What the hell does "METT" mean? Unfamiliar with that acronym?

Thanks! wink

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good thoughts and suggestions. Also good thoughts on the lowly .22 LR. I have both rifle and handguns chambered for that round as well. The little .22 round could well become currency if things were to really deteriorate.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll just keep my 1911 close with lots of clips & boolits!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck
Everything is situational dependant, think "METT."

What the hell does "METT" mean? Unfamiliar with that acronym?

Thanks! wink

Found this on the innernet:

METT-T Mission, Enemy, Terrain, Troops and Time Available

Maybe Shane has all the time he needs. grin

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Kevin,
IMO the best weapon is a 12 gauge pump shotgun. I prefer my old Ithaca 37 LAPD model with 18" barrel and I have a pistol grip to replace the buttstock if need be when more concealment becomes needed.
Everyone who has ever been around a TV set knows what a pump shotgun sounds like when you chamber a round. This can convince people to leave you alone even without firing a shot. If need be you can fire a load of buckshot in their direction which should take care of anyone who is reluctant to abandon the area. You don't need to be a Camp Perry competitor to hit with buckshot, even at night you don't need expensive laser sights just keep on shooting until either they leave or they kill you.
whelennut

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I disagree, I will carry my assault rifle, a glock 19 and a Jim bowie knife if society collapses all in plain sight. I will not "bug out to the mountains with a cooler full of steaks and beer. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only sound my 870 makes before it is ready for use is the safety coming off! smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
METT-T is just a little planning acronym.

Basically what do you need to do, what do you have to do it with, what/who are you up against, how does terrain figure in. And how much time do you have to git-r-done.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I lived on the fring of the LA (King) Riots. I lived off 190th and had to drive thru a small area of it to get home. I had a loaded .45 and a Loaded shotgun at the ready in my truck.

I have spent time in foreign countries that were not wanting us there. Iraq, Iran, Somalia, and Rwanda. I will say this if you had only a pistol at that time and local you weren't going to make it very long. I will save you the details but in Rwanda alone I zipped more bodybags then anyone should ever have to.

I think in the SHTF here would be a little different. I agree a pistol is top on the list. However its top on the list for concealment purposes and not as major weapon of choice. I agree that society will still go on just in a much different way. When needed to be out in general population it is the go to weapon.

When the actual SHTF I want nothing less then a rifle, shotgun, and handgun locked and loaded. The first 90 days are going to be when the majority of everything goes down. If you bugout you will need to be able to defend your egress. If standing you ground you will need to defend your ground. A handgun alone isn't going to cut it.

Where you live will most likely determine if you need to bugout or stand your ground. As it will also dictate the amount of support you will have from neighbors, or how much resistance you will have.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
METT-T is just a little planning acronym.

Basically what do you need to do, what do you have to do it with, what/who are you up against, how does terrain figure in. And how much time do you have to git-r-done.
I wish you was my neighbor for times so described.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
As most have said here, I would prefer to have a few (Id guess 5 or so, right now Im at 4) handguns, a .22 rifle for food gathering and such, an AR or two for serious self/family defense and a shotgun for multi-purpose work.

Maybe I've been watching too much Walking Dead, but also a crossbow/bow would also come in handy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was living in Los Angeles during the 1965 Watts riot, the 1968 East Los Angeles riot, and the 1992 "Rodney King" riot. The Watts riot and E.L.A. riot were mainly contained in a small geographical location within Los Angeles.

The 1992 "Rodney King" riot saw rioters all over Los Angeles, and in some cases, in L.A. County areas and smaller cities around Los Angeles. It seemed at times the rioters were like locusts swarming. I know of several incidents where citizens protected themselves and property, homes, condos, etc., that never made the news. Handguns, rifles, shotguns, whatever was available were used by honest citizens to defend against the rioters.

Although the initial riot began in the black community of South Central Los Angeles, it spread quickly and all ethnicities partook of the "fun and games." No matter all the teeeveee news pictures seen throughout the nation at that time, after it was finally over, the Los Angeles Sheriff's Dept., which was the central booking and custody agency, recorded "riot related arrests" by all agencies of 40% black suspects, 50% Latino suspects, and 10% caucasian and Asian suspects.

That's the way it was in 1992 in Los Angeles.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
As most have said here, I would prefer to have a few (Id guess 5 or so, right now Im at 4) handguns, a .22 rifle for food gathering and such, an AR or two for serious self/family defense and a shotgun for multi-purpose work.

Maybe I've been watching too much Walking Dead, but also a crossbow/bow would also come in handy.
Even better, perhaps, than a crossbow:

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think that the biggest problem associated with handguns is that most people do not practice enough and when they do, 15 to 20 yards is the preferred shooting distance. Man sized targets at 100 yds really are not all that hard to hit with a good .45 cal. 1911 after some serious practice sessions. Try it.

I try to always have my .45 available as a rifle, as has been stated, just isn't that easy to conceal and there may come a time when your target, the guy trying to get you, just isn't all that close.

Be ready with what you can have with you.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
These days the vast majority of my shooting is with handguns, and as said before; most of that at 150 yards. As a result, I can hit better with a handgun at 150 yards, than I can hit with a rifle at 300 yards (offhand)�cool in one way, a bit pathetic in another. Last month I was at the range with a friend who brought out his newly acquired Steyr Scout rifle. He had a 3x9 variable mounted conventionally, and I missed the 8� gong at 200 yards twice to both of our astonishment. He said �try it again� so I did. I handed him the rifle, pulled out my .38 Super and rung it with the first round. CLEARLY I�m spending way too much time with handguns, and not nearly enough time with my rifles.

I did redeem myself at 500, but that was from a rested position. My rifle issues seem to be offhand beyond 100 yards. Offhand I just hold a handgun much more steady than I do a rifle; need to work on that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
These days the vast majority of my shooting is with handguns, and as said before; most of that at 150 yards. As a result, I can hit better with a handgun at 150 yards, than I can hit with a rifle at 300 yards (offhand)�cool in one way, a bit pathetic in another. Last month I was at the range with a friend who brought out his newly acquired Steyr Scout rifle. He had a 3x9 variable mounted conventionally, and I missed the 8� gong at 200 yards twice to both of our astonishment. He said �try it again� so I did. I handed him the rifle, pulled out my .38 Super and rung it with the first round. CLEARLY I�m spending way too much time with handguns, and not nearly enough time with my rifles.

I did redeem myself at 500, but that was from a rested position. My rifle issues seem to be offhand beyond 100 yards. Offhand I just hold a handgun much more steady than I do a rifle; need to work on that.
We all know now that you're good enough to have killed Kennedy from the Sniper's Nest with a Browning Hi Power and that you're afraid of being accosted by baddies and relieved of your AK. Really what makes the best sense for you in a SHTF situation, is a Blowgun. That or one of them Chinnk air rifles. Think about it. You can hide all day and then come out at night and kill rats and mice and suchlike for your larder, almost silently. If you're caught with one by the authorities they probably won't even confiscate it. In fact, while they're laughing their asses off you can just slip away.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You bring up an interesting point. I need to re-evaluate my position, i.e. I either shot rifles or I shoot handguns but I don't have the time or money to become proficient at both. I have been thinking about this for sometime.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (10Glocks, 35, 300_savage, 14idaho, 405winash, 9 invisible), 948 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,411
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.