Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
GS Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by ringworm
I shot 100-120 pound dink last year at 40 yards with a 700. first round hit just behind the shoulder and exited between 4-5 ribs. He actually ran about 15 yards and stopped and started feeding again. second round hit about 2" from the first exit wound and exited the center of his chest. he ran 25 yards and piled up.
That was the last barnes I shot and the last deer I will probably ever shoot with either a 243 or a Barnes.

So you shot a deer through BOTH lungs, through and through, and it just loped on over 40 yards and went back to feeding like it had been stung by a bee? Really now?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I believe, strange things happen. Same thing happened on one of my bow kills.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GS
I shot 100-120 pound dink last year at 40 yards with a 700. first round hit just behind the shoulder and exited between 4-5 ribs. He actually ran about 15 yards and stopped and started feeding again. second round hit about 2" from the first exit wound and exited the center of his chest. he ran 25 yards and piled up.
That was the last barnes I shot and the last deer I will probably ever shoot with either a 243 or a Barnes.

So you shot a deer through BOTH lungs, through and through, and it just loped on over 40 yards and went back to feeding like it had been stung by a bee? Really now?

Have to assume, THAT deer was feeding on Deer Cocaine wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2007, 29 1/2 inch muley 385 yards, one shot boom flop. Tikka T-3 lite with 85 grain tsx. Bullet recovered under far hide, perfect mushroom and 95% weight retention.

2008 WA, 22 inch muley with lots of mass. 410 yards, one shot boom flop. Tikka T-3 lite, 85 grain tsx. Bullet went all the way through heart and exited.

2008-OR, forked horn muley. 325 yards, one shot, he ran 50 yards and piled up. Tikka T-3 lite, 85 grain tsx. Bullet went all the way through both lungs.
2008, 5x5 bull elk, 305 yards, one shot, double lung with exit. Bull walked 25 yards and fell over dead. Tikka T-3 lite, 85 grain tsx.

2009, 4x4 muley, 20" wide. 250 yards bedded down, facing me. Looked like someone dropped an Anvil on his head - by far the quickest kill ever. Bullet recovered under far hide behind last rib. Tikka T-3 lite, 85 gain tsx.

I've killed a pile of animals since 2009 and the only reason I don't take the Tikka is that I have 30 other rifles in the safe that have been abused. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt anything in North America with the .243 and 85 grain tsx.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a few pics of animals who hate guns, and especially .243's

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GS

Most hunters I know have seen things like this happen in the field. Get out and start hunting and you'll see it sooner than later.

Shod

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Shod
Originally Posted by GS

Most hunters I know have seen things like this happen in the field. Get out and start hunting and you'll see it sooner than later.

Shod

I put an arrow right into a muley's shoulder (and on into a lung and the heart) and he kinda jumped a bit, then stopped, turned and looked at me, walked off about 10 yards and fell over.

i've also nailed a couple does broadside through both lungs and they just kinda sat there, went back to feeding, then dropped over a few seconds later from all the blood that poured out while they were eating.

stranger things have indeed happened.

G
GS Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by Shod
Originally Posted by GS

Shod

In 35 years of woods time I've never seen an animal, any animal, react that way to a lung shot. I've seem them slowly move away, stumble then fall over. But I've never seen or heard of one going back to feeding after such trauma. And I've killed hundreds of deer with everything from a 22-250 to a 7mm Mag to a bow. The reaction and results are identical regardless of weapon. Never seen one get knifed and belly back up to the buffet though. But hey, if you guys say you've seen then who am I to argue?

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Shod, I don't doubt you, but sounds like the deer died very close to impact. Wreck the lungs and the animal will expire very quickly w/o Oxygenated blood.

That deer was dead, just did not drop on the shot. I say that was a success smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Auschwitz buck?

My Grandfather died at Auschwitz, March 1944.

.....from eating tainted white tail.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
the Barnes bullet made be a believer
My Mohawk 243 cal and a 85 gr. TSX
I took a large doe in the N.E. Woods average shot better then 130 plus,the bullet entered the left side just behind the shoulder and travel threw the center of the deer
I did recover the bullet in the rear right quarter it did turn the lungs into jelly one large entrance hole no exit
deer only took a few steps
the bullet weight 85 grains
[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I shoot through the shoulders, not behind the shoulders, forget running.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,621
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.