Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I posted this in the kid's forum, with no activity. Thought I might re-post here...

My 5yo is going to have have 'Santa' leave a BB gun under the tree. He's dealing with some eye dominance issues, so I'd like something that I can mount a red dot type scope on.

What do you suggest for a BB gun with optics capabilities for him? Also, any suggestions on red dots that fit a 11mm(3/8") dovetail would be appreciated.

My first was a Daisy 880 and am sorta leaning that way right now. I like the idea of the multi-pump vs. a single pump. Thoughts?

GB1

L
L
Good question, I am also looking for a first BB gun for my kids!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As I posted on the kids' forum -
Personally, I don't like BB guns for anything. Steel BBs tend to bounce and ricochet, dangerous for the shooter and for bystanders, as well as windows. I much prefer pellet guns shooting lead pellets, which tend to penetrate things like wood or splat flat on things like cinder block or rocks. Eye protection is always a must, of course.

I would go with the the multi-pump variety. I've had several and the ability to vary the power level is handy, and they kill crows, rats, etc just fine.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
In my family it was the classic Red Rider. I got mine on my 4th birthday (1973) and my dad and Grandad cutoff the wood stock to make the LOP reasonable. It was still a bitch to cock it and it took a lot of leverage. I was careful about the muzzle and only shot it supervised for a long time, but having to use that much of my strength to cock it seems inherently prone to error. Between that and the richochet-rific nature of bb's, I'm not sure it was the best/safest choice.

My son turns 4 this year and I've been thinking a lot about this too.

I like the idea of a red-dot, and i have a 80's beeman pellet gun that i could mount one on and cut down the stock. I would have to cock it for him and hand him the gun loaded ready to go. The multi-pump type would likely be easier for him to manage himself.

I'm tempted to go the other direction - rather than pellets, Im thinking about an airsoft rifle. I could use CO2 or batteries which would make operation easier, and many of them come ready for reddots or scopes. But I haven't seen any that would really work for a very small kid size-wise. They all seem to be built for adults. I don't know if i could cut down one of the 700-like sniper rifles to make a platform a small kid could really use.

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calif. Hunter
As I posted on the kids' forum -
Personally, I don't like BB guns for anything. Steel BBs tend to bounce and ricochet, dangerous for the shooter and for bystanders, as well as windows. I much prefer pellet guns shooting lead pellets, which tend to penetrate things like wood or splat flat on things like cinder block or rocks. Eye protection is always a must, of course.

I would go with the the multi-pump variety. I've had several and the ability to vary the power level is handy, and they kill crows, rats, etc just fine.
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to end up going a direction I hadn't intended, but I think it will work. I'm definitely going with a multi-pump for the reason you sited. Similarly, the one I'm looking at can fire both bb's or pellets (concerns and suggestions that you expressed duly noted). So, I think Mr. Man is going to be getting a M4 looking one! I like the adjustable stock that will allow it to grow with him. It also comes with a regular sized picatinny/Weaver rail making sights a bit easier. I'm guessing he's gonna think its pretty darn cool! It's the Crosman Backyard Commando set.
[Linked Image]

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
When my son was 4, I got him the Daisy Buck. The reason I went with this model was because the stock was a little shorter and the overall weight was a little lighter than the Red Ryder. I still had to help him cock the buck though. The heavy trigger pull of most bb guns will be his biggest obstacle to overcome. Lots of practice and milk will help him with that problem.

One bad thing with my sons current bb/pellet combo gun is that the pellets are a beast to load. I have to help him load the gun (he is 8 now) and I have a hard time loading them. The pellets tend to rotate toward the heavier head of the pellet.

He will be excited with whatever you get him and you will be happy just spending time in the outdoors with him.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Let us know how the Backyard Commando works out. It's an interesting idea that didn't occur to me. Particularly interested in the M4-type stock and if you can get the LOP short enough and if he can get a good cheek weld to look straight through the sights.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Most 5 year olds are pretty small and most BB/pellet guns will be too long in the stock for them. Either get a small gun like a daisy 105 "Buck" or get one you can cut the stock off to fit him. I'd avoid anything with a rifled barrel {like the Daisy 880} if you intend to shoot BB's as the rifling will play hell with accuracy. Rifled barrels = good for pellets but sucks with BB'S.

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
htr3 - Will do. Hope to put some down range, even if that is in the garage, on Xmas morning. I think he'll be stoked.

BH- I'm interested to see how this will fit as he is abit large for his age (4' and 55#). FWIW, here are the LOPs for the 880 and 840 as sent to my by Crosman:
880 = 13 3/4
840 = 12 5/8

Even with his size I thought each of those measurements, if true, seemed a bit long. Upon handling the M4ish one, the collapsible stock goes pretty darn short, though at the time I didn't have a tape to verify how short.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 1beaver_shooter, 50 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,036
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.