Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
These days the vast majority of my shooting is with handguns, and as said before; most of that at 150 yards. As a result, I can hit better with a handgun at 150 yards, than I can hit with a rifle at 300 yards (offhand)�cool in one way, a bit pathetic in another. Last month I was at the range with a friend who brought out his newly acquired Steyr Scout rifle. He had a 3x9 variable mounted conventionally, and I missed the 8� gong at 200 yards twice to both of our astonishment. He said �try it again� so I did. I handed him the rifle, pulled out my .38 Super and rung it with the first round. CLEARLY I�m spending way too much time with handguns, and not nearly enough time with my rifles.

I did redeem myself at 500, but that was from a rested position. My rifle issues seem to be offhand beyond 100 yards. Offhand I just hold a handgun much more steady than I do a rifle; need to work on that.
We all know now that you're good enough to have killed Kennedy from the Sniper's Nest with a Browning Hi Power and that you're afraid of being accosted by baddies and relieved of your AK. Really what makes the best sense for you in a SHTF situation, is a Blowgun. That or one of them Chinnk air rifles. Think about it. You can hide all day and then come out at night and kill rats and mice and suchlike for your larder, almost silently. If you're caught with one by the authorities they probably won't even confiscate it. In fact, while they're laughing their asses off you can just slip away.

You are bad, you are bad to the bone! grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've got the most experience with a rifle but I would choose a concealed handgun and a shotgun when moving about. I'll most likely be running in a situation. A pistol does it for me by weight savings and a shotgun by virtue of being able to hit something while moving. I would use the rifles mostly for defensive positions. If limited to just one it would be a high capacity full size 9mm.

I've probably got more handguns than most. My idea is to use the surplus for barter to get the unknown items.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot much better with a rifle than with a hand gun but a hand gun sure is a lot more of a challenge, especially shooting offhand.

The sound of a 230 gr cast bullet hitting a hundred yd gong sure is satisfying but not very loud. I can't do that with every shot but trying is fun.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
We all know now that you're good enough to have killed Kennedy from the Sniper's Nest with a Browning Hi Power and that you're afraid of being accosted by baddies and relieved of your AK. Really what makes the best sense for you in a SHTF situation, is a Blowgun. That or one of them Chinnk air rifles. Think about it. You can hide all day and then come out at night and kill rats and mice and suchlike for your larder, almost silently. If you're caught with one by the authorities they probably won't even confiscate it. In fact, while they're laughing their asses off you can just slip away.

Jay-zus, EE, who pizzed in your cornflakes this morning?!?!?

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
THAT IS IT! I also have a Savage 72 (modern Stevens Favorite) I chambered to .22WMR that is killer accurate, guess I will buy a couple hundred rounds for it as well.

Here it is with the #4 Rolling Block
[Linked Image]

The Lyman sight I installed

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Both are Uber-Cool .22's for sure. I have the hot & sweaties for the Winchester pump action .22�s. Have an 1890, 62A, 61, and the Rossi 62�just too much fun, completely reliable, accurate, and a joy to hunt with. And of course, I�m not giving up my K-22 anytime soon.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still have the Winchester 62A in the family I got when I was six, it resides with my daughter now but I get to visit.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Derbydude,
Try some #4 buckshot in a 12 gauge.
I'm just sayin.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
These days the vast majority of my shooting is with handguns, and as said before; most of that at 150 yards. As a result, I can hit better with a handgun at 150 yards, than I can hit with a rifle at 300 yards (offhand)�cool in one way, a bit pathetic in another. Last month I was at the range with a friend who brought out his newly acquired Steyr Scout rifle. He had a 3x9 variable mounted conventionally, and I missed the 8� gong at 200 yards twice to both of our astonishment. He said �try it again� so I did. I handed him the rifle, pulled out my .38 Super and rung it with the first round. CLEARLY I�m spending way too much time with handguns, and not nearly enough time with my rifles.

I did redeem myself at 500, but that was from a rested position. My rifle issues seem to be offhand beyond 100 yards. Offhand I just hold a handgun much more steady than I do a rifle; need to work on that.

REALLY??????

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The local range has some old welding tanks set out at 200 yards, these are about 4' high and maybe 8" across (someone familiar with welding tanks could probably give exact dimensions).

Anyway, it's always fun to watch folks miss them time after time with their rifles - from the bench over bags or rests of some kind - and then pull out my little Ruger SR22, Smith M18 4" .22 or M15 4" .38, GP-100 or other handgun, stand on my hind feet and hit them with the first shot.

The easy part is that you have 4' of elevation to work with so front sight holdup isn't too hard but with that narrow target the windage is critical. But as long as you hold the sights centered you get that nice little "ding!" sound as a reward.

It just takes practice (and knowing better than to try this in a strong crosswind. wink )

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In that same vein -

At this same range last summer a rather obese fellow came over to look at my little peep sighted Marlin 16" .45 Colt. He opined as to how it was a neat little rifle but in his authorative and truly expert opinion (I'm enhancing just a tad here) those pistol caliber rifles like the .44 and .45 weren't any good after 100 yards because the trajectory was so curved you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

I remarked, in a voice awed by his knowledge of all things gunny, how that was probably true. Then I stood up and from offhand hit one of those same welding tanks at 200 yards five times out of five with my worthless little rifle.

It's fun being an old guy with a lot of experience shooting. grin

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I realize this is a gun-related site, but let me interject a note of, I dunno, common sense? Yes, it's fun to think about what you would need if the Zombie Apocalypse (spare me!) hits, but a lot of SHTF scenarios (Hurricane Sandy being only the latest and greatest) are not like that.

Put it this way.

When the SHTF, you MAY need a weapon. You WILL need food, water, shelter, maybe heat, perhaps a cooking source, your medicines, perhaps a way to treat/manage an injury until you can get good medical care. A good flashlight and spare batteries may be more useful than a fully tricked out AR-15. Given that none of us have unlimited resources, is it better to have 10 $200 revolvers or 1 revolver and a pantry full of non-perishable food, clean drinking water, a fully stocked first-aid kit (and I DON'T mean a $5 plastic box full of band-aids from the local grocery store), etc. And by the way, if you have a pantry full of canned food, make sure you have a manual can opener, because guess what? You're probably not going to have electricity or water.

Carry on.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
All due respect, but the advice you posted is pretty much a given here. "Common sense?" Hmm. Did you actually read the OP?

KG's OP was about the relative utility of "the handgun" as the go-to firearm platform of choice in socially-disrupted situations such as he and others have actually had to live through and work in, and which we might face here in the USA at some time in the not-too-distant future. That is the topic of discussion.

If you REALLY believe you need discuss on�'s overall preparedness for TEOTWAWKI, you might want to try posting on the Hunter's Campfire thread, or over at Accurate Reloading.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

It just takes practice (and knowing better than to try this in a strong crosswind. wink )

Ah, yes. Practice. A rare commodity among internet gunnery experts.

Glad you adhere to your regimen, amigo! Keep dingin' them welding plates.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocRocket
All due respect, but the advice you posted is pretty much a given here. "Common sense?" Hmm. Did you actually read the OP?

I read the OP, and it looks like he recommended buying 12 handguns, not the ten you criticized the previous poster for using in his example.

All in all, his post is a lot more rational that recommending buying a bunch of handguns so you can surrender them at a checkpoint instead of an AR.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Doc,
I'm sorry I rubbed you the wrong way, as both Kevin Gibson and you have my respect, as do almost all of the posters on 24 Hour Campfire. Maybe I missed the post where all of those taken for granted things were pointed out - I just don't think it hurts to point it out again. And as I said, most of us don't have unlimited resources, so maybe it does make sense to buy 2 less firearms in order to buy fresh water, non-perishable food, etc.

I do have to say that a true nation-wide SHTF scenario is pretty remote - JMHO, of course and I could be wrong, but this country has had a lot of stuff happen in its past including a full-blown shooting civil war, without descending into the kind of total SHTF that others have seen in, say, Rwanda, etc. Even after Katrina and Sandy, and various riots, there have been local or maybe regional looting, lawlessness, etc. but never nationwide.

I am old enough to remember the Atomic bomb scares in the 50s when a few people were building fallout shelters in their back yards and stocking up with canned goods. Most of those people are gone, their shelters are molding. A lot of the first generation survivalists are no longer above ground either but their vision of a country disintegrating hasn't happened. I'm sure most of them were sincere. I'm also sure the people building bomb shelters were raking it in for a while.

So here's a thought - you can take it as seriously as you like, or ignore it altogether. A lot of times there's warning before the SHTF. If you have enough money to buy 10 handguns, you have enough money to buy a plane ticket out of town, or certainly enough gas to get out of town, at least until the worst is over. Hey, you can always move to Canada! :-) As my martial arts instructors always said, you can't lose a fight you're not in. Now, if you're stuck in a SHTF scenario, well then, maybe 10 handguns is the best solution. But if you're not, evacuation out of the scenario makes more sense to me - but then, I'm a natural born coward. :-)

Last edited by Jlin222; 12/09/12.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jim222

You may very well be right. However there is a big difference from the 1950's and now. The biggest is our dependency on technology. Which everything and I mean everything runs on some sorta of power, mainly electricity. Knock out the electricity on the east coast and you have pretty much crippled the country. If it takes weeks to fix power in a single state imagine what it would take to restore power to the entire east coast.

Another huge difference from the 1950's and today is the political divide we have in this country. I can assure you that every conservitive I know would close their doors to any liberal wanting help, shelter, food, and ect. Remember these are the people that want to take away our rights, our money, and our success.

Is it likely that a SHTF happen? Honestly its a 50/50 unless you can prove otherwise. It only takes one thing to get the ball rolling, if that ball has enough momentum it could very well happen. In my opinion we are ripe for something major to change in our country. I can only hope it not and prepare for the worst.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess I'm more of the Jlin 222 school of thought. I to grew up in the 50's when the smart money was on a bomb shelter in every back yard. Coming from a poor family we were the expendable ones so a bomb shelter never entered into the picture which turned out to be just as well.

And then I remember the Carter years when there was no oil and I even thought I would take up sailing (which I never did, fear of water and giant fish don't you know).

There is no doubt that the national government is going to fail but I believe it will fail in stages and for most of us we will notice little affect to our daily lives.

If one truly believes that the world will end as we know it than one should have a bug out kit that is carried every place one is going just in case.

The handgun of choice in the SHTF scenario is a good quality single action in a .44/.45 caliber. Why a single action? Because a single action has the least moving parts so it's likely to keep working with minimal maintenance. I'm thinking a Ruger New Model BlackHawk in .44 Special would be a good choice. One of the Ruger double action would be good to as they seem to be idiot proof as to take down and maintenance.

I'm to old to bug out to any place so I'm staying put. With my 1911 and Ruger SBH in .44 mag. If anybody wants me they can have at. They would be doing me a favor to put me out of my misery.

Derby Dude has spoken! smile

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
MontanaCreekHunter
I think you're right about the divide between liberals and conservatives, at least some of them. I remember reading that before Kennedy was assassinated, he and Goldwater talked about doing a national series of debates around the country ala the Lincoln-Douglas debates, because despite their political differences they could still be friends. And it used to be in Congress that liberals and conservatives would beat each other up during the day and go out drinking together at night. That doesn't happen much any more, and I think we are poorer for it. I have friends who listen to Rachel Maddow and friends who listen to Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage, and I happen to like it that way.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I happen to be more optimistic than you. Maybe because I work at a VA hospital. I know a lot of vets, some of them are conservatives, some of them are liberals, but all of them are united by service to and love of country. And remember that on 9/11, the terrorists didn't hit conservative Montana, they hit liberal New York City, and I think we all felt the same way that day. There is still more that unites us than divides us. JMHO, I may be wrong.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am not optimistic only because no government/country has stood the test of time. Sooner or later its going to happen. Nothing last forever!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

341 members (22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 22magnut, 10ring1, 38 invisible), 1,335 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,849
Posts18,517,549
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.