Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Police: Boy, 7, shot to death at Pa. gun store
5 hr ago
A 7-year-old boy was shot and killed at a Pennsylvania gun store when his father's weapon accidentally went off.

MERCER, Pa. � Authorities say a 7-year-old boy was shot to death when a gun accidentally went off as his father was getting into his truck outside a western Pennsylvania gun store.

The boy was shot Saturday morning at Twigs Reloading Den in East Lackawannock Township, 60 miles north of Pittsburgh. Store owner Leonard Mohney says it happened in the parking lot.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that the boy was shot when his father's handgun went off as the man got into the truck while holding the gun.

Police say 44-year-old Joseph V. Loughrey told them he had emptied the magazine but didn't realize a bullet was still in the chamber. Seven-year-old Craig Allen Loughrey was shot in the chest and died at the scene.

State police are investigating the shooting as an accident.

It happened in the parking lot.

If it'd happened outside Safeway or Walmart, we'd've never heard about it on network news, of course.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The cost of personal freedom and liberty.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tragic...I cannot imagine the pain that father is going through.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

I don't understand that statement. I see it more as the tragic price of failure to practice safe gun handling practices.

Steve

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
about as awful as it gets

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Please explain that statement. Not be argumentative just curious.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very, very sad,.....

hard to know what to say,......

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It is as tragic as it gets and I don't mean to sound insensitive but how can one carry or handle a firearm and not be aware that it's hot?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A tragedy indeed, the father is probably going through hell.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

It is as tragic as it gets and I don't mean to sound insensitive but how can one carry or handle a firearm and not be aware that it's hot?

Because the father is an idiot, shame the boy had to die because of it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The father's story is BS too. There's no way a gun goes off without pulling the trigger and it won't hit your son if you're not pointing it at him.

I'm not saying it's a homicide, but he ain't tellin the whole truth. It didn't "just accidentally" go off. That just doesn't happen.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
"...Loughrey told them he had emptied the magazine but didn't realize a bullet was still in the chamber...."

Brain-dead MF.

Another senseless tragedy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You are wrong , it is a case of not following basic gun safety , not keeping track of the muzzle and you finger off the trigger. The father learned the hard way

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Because the father is an idiot, shame the boy had to die because of it.

This, over and over again.....should have his hands cut off....

Regards,

Tom
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
mercy ...

paul foreman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Muzzle control . Nothing else matters. The father is looking at a rough life, I'm thinking. Don't think I could ever get over it, or at ease with it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
MLYA, one of my friends at Browning told me of this murder trial that Browning had just cost the prosecution.

Woman had killed her husband with a Browning 9mm and was on trial for murder. Claimed that she'd just been threatening him, with no intent to shoot, and had dropped the magazine out and was relying on the magazine safety to render the gun unable to fire.

Her lawyers' experts had found that the gun would fire if, before dropping the magazine out, the "shooter" first took-up the slack in the trigger pull.

The defense attorney was cross-examining Browning's man, who'd just testified that the pistol was in proper working condition and could not be fired with the magazine out. The lawyer dropped the magazine out.

"It can't be fired now?"

"No, sir, it can't."

click

The judge dismissed the case, and the defense immediately filed a liability suit against Browning.

Browning then put a team to work examining all the available pistols that had magazine safeties. The team found that with the slack taken out of the trigger pull, all known pistols thus had the magazine safety disabled.

The very next month, a well known and highly respected Smith & Wesson big shot (whose name I can't think-of right now) assured me that S&W magazine safeties were 100% percent reliable. Boy! Was he mad when I showed 'im � thought that he oughta be alerted � that they weren't! Glared at me and was always gruff and grumpy whenever we met, for years afterward.

That was about 35 years ago. I wonder whether any of today's magazine safeties are now completely safe.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Man,situations like this..don't even know what to think.On one hand,if it happened like the father said, then carelessness and stupidity just cost a 7 year old boy his life. No excuses for it.

On the other hand,what must that feel like,to accidently cause the death of your child through a moment of careless stupidity? Is there any punishment you could give that would equal what a normal person would already feel at that time? Would there be any point? I don't know, but what a horrible situation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very, very negligent.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 12/08/12.

NRA Lifetime Member
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A tragedy, of course. But, it doesn't help our cause. Things like this lead to more legislation or restrictions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 39 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,460
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.