Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Adjustable illuminated reticles work. I have no problems seeing both my target and my reticle on my two low light scopes. If you want tools that work, buy tools that are proven to work in the conditions you need them to. Almost every scope I've owned including an old plex reticle 3-9x33 vx2 can put a shot on a deer long after sunset. If you want and are able to legally go all night you can't take any shortcuts.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TC1
The best low light scope I have ever owned is a S&B Zenith 3-12X50 with a very bold FFP plex reticle that gets ridiculously large as the power is turned up. It's a great scope.

The reticle is every bit as important as the OBJ.DIA. or coatings.

[Linked Image]

Terry

Never owned Terry's scope, but I have looked through a lot of Euro's and American scopes.Nothing beats the high end,30mm Euro's like Zeiss, Swaro, S&B,and Kahles after dark, for my eyes.I love aiming through those things.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Life is just one damned thing after another
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I also have the schmidt zenith 3-12x50, with a #4 reticle. The only scope that does as good or better than my binocs at low light!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Here's a good one.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doesn't look like there is alot room for front ring placement on that scope. Guess a rail mount would be the order of the day.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Here's a good one.

Pat send it here and I will test it for you..... whistle grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Doesn't look like there is alot room for front ring placement on that scope. Guess a rail mount would be the order of the day.

Not seen anything else run on rigs as serious as they use. Most don't have s&b's in talleys. Not being a jerk I don't own anything as serious as gap rifles and s&b scopes. Maybe one day

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Actually, that's not true. The percentage of light transmission is the same given two scopes of the same manufacturer and lense quality. The only difference there would be the amount of image magnification.

I disagree, RD. Here's another way to look at it. Take a zoom scope, let's say 2x-8x, with a 56 mm entrance. At 2x, the exit pupil is 28mm, and since your eye can only dilate to 7mm, most of the light hits around the eye, and only a fraction of the light entering the scope goes into your eye. Now zoom it to 8x, the exit pupil is 7mm and all of the light entering the scope goes into your eye. More light entering the eye means a brighter looking image. BTW, this is not my original thought. Bob Bell made exactly the same argument many years ago in Gun Digest, I believe.

Last edited by Jlin222; 12/07/12.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Within the limitations you specified, a Leupold 6x42 with their #4 would be pretty good. I currently use a 3-9 Conquest with a #4 and like it better becuase of long range considerations, but at close range like you specify, the Leupold with HD or #4 would be great.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Single turn.
Double turn
PMII.
smile
[Linked Image]

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
222- one thing about your posts - the eye loses it's ability to dilate as we age, IIRC 5.5 is the max, or 5 for many folks middle aged and older. Not that a higher EP does not matter, but perhaps is not all utilized.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
65BR,
You are absolutely right. However, the relative brightness still increases with power - up to the point where the exit pupil is smaller than the maximum dilation of the eye, whatever that is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jlin222
Actually, that's not true. The percentage of light transmission is the same given two scopes of the same manufacturer and lense quality. The only difference there would be the amount of image magnification.

I disagree, RD. Here's another way to look at it. Take a zoom scope, let's say 2x-8x, with a 56 mm entrance. At 2x, the exit pupil is 28mm, and since your eye can only dilate to 7mm, most of the light hits around the eye, and only a fraction of the light entering the scope goes into your eye. Now zoom it to 8x, the exit pupil is 7mm and all of the light entering the scope goes into your eye. More light entering the eye means a brighter looking image. BTW, this is not my original thought. Bob Bell made exactly the same argument many years ago in Gun Digest, I believe.

I think we are on the same page but we are perhaps just using different terms. When I say that light transmission is the same, I'm referring to the amount of light that the scope is capable of transmitting meaning, for example, 90%, 92%, 95% etc. The power setting has no bearing on this meaning it has no bearing on the percentage of light transmission that the scope is capable of. For example, if you took say a Swarovski 3-10x42 set on 6x and a Swarovski 6x42 and compared them for light transmission, the straight power 6x42 would probably be slightly brighter simply because it has fewer internal lenses. Both scopes have the same glass, coatings, objective size lenses and exit pupil sizes, however, the lense system is different.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by TC1
The best low light scope I have ever owned is a S&B Zenith 3-12X50 with a very bold FFP plex reticle that gets ridiculously large as the power is turned up. It's a great scope.

The reticle is every bit as important as the OBJ.DIA. or coatings.

[Linked Image]

Terry

Never owned Terry's scope, but I have looked through a lot of Euro's and American scopes.Nothing beats the high end,30mm Euro's like Zeiss, Swaro, S&B,and Kahles after dark, for my eyes.I love aiming through those things.

Yes, they take the cake at the end of the day. The FFP reticle comes into it's own as the sun goes down.

[Linked Image]
At 3X. The bush is 208 yards.
[Linked Image]
At 6X. The reticle is VERY bold.
[Linked Image]
At 12X. The reticle is huge. Keep in mind the target is over 200 yards away.
[Linked Image]

This scope just plain works in low light.

Terry

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Great pictures Terry! I never could get them that clear with the camera on my phone, but they illustrate the reticle very well!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure works good at 6x Terry wink

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65BR
Sure works good at 6x Terry wink

The 6X power setting is an excellent choice in low light. I took a decent deer two weeks ago with this rifle that ranged 377yds. I had it on 12X for that shot. The 3-12X is a very versatile scope.

Terry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice, what cartridge is that in? Ruger correct?

Guess you hate to scratch up those pretty blue/wood guns? smile

I was looking at your pics above and the fov seemed sweet at a mid power setting, but that was about half the distance as your shot.

No doubt, not much you couldn't do w/that scope.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, it's a Ruger 77 MKII. It's chambered in a .264WM. There is a soybean field down in Como, MS I get to hunt. That rifle was purpose built just for that. I have a couple synthetic stocked rifles, I like and use both types.

Terry

Last edited by TC1; 12/10/12.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,097
Posts18,483,038
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.