Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
�These are a few I remember to well�... 2 cans of kennel corn dumped in a pan, should not cook on medium high for 45 minutes>the bottom pan and the corn become 1 FOREVER. Was going to surprise my ma with some c-chip cookies, no butter or Crisco to be found > here I learned not to use bacon and sausage drippings .... from a jar in the back of the fridge. WELL � Besides that grease fire> that had me painting the ceiling and replacing the over the stove microwave face panel and hood filter��. This next one, mite have not been the costliest but it was not fun it was 30+below outside and I was cooking chicken in a old propane grill �..�.back when they use to come with a big glass window ( that window was �black �all the time and u really could never see in anydamhow ) there was my grill all fired up next to the shed after it came up to temp I tossed on about 8 or 10 leg-thigh combs and smoke chip packet- it was one hot grill I Seared both sides then cranked it down to about 350 and let it go�30mins latter I go out an check��. man it looks great !!! I shut the hood turn it down to low�walk back to the house > WHEN the 50+ moose rack high on the side of the shed -dumps all of the winters cold powder like snow on my grill��which Explodes !!! the glass is gone the hood/bottom is in about 100 pieces and the chicken is layered in glass and cast metal, not good eats. To end ,last fall cooking 3 racks of beef ribs on a 22.5 Weber (indirect method ) then in the cabin for a few beers �when the wind comes up to a constant 20mph�man the smoker was smoking great !....mite cut the regular cookg time from 3-4 hours, down some! At the 45 minute mark I checked them 3 racks of burnt bones cooked in a blast furnace ��.sucks bty shocked

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There have been some noteable disasters over the years but two stick in my mind.

My grand mother made the best turkey soup in the world using the carcasse of the Thanksgiving turkey. Lord but was it good. I decided to reproduce her labor of love. Boiled the bones and made broth, got all the vegies in there. I remembered she always had a bit of elbow macaroni in her soup. I threw in some. Didn't look like enough so threw in some more. Thought it might need just a bit more macaroni. All of a sudden the soup pot sort of went shuuuuuuck and there was a solid pot of macaroni with nuggets of turkey and morsels of vegetables scattered in it. God it was horrible. Some of that damn macaroni was still crunchy.

The other was when electric smokers first came out we got one. Supposed to cook your meat over a pan of water or somesuch like that. Hot plate on the bottom where you could put wood chips for smoke. I stuck the Christmas turkey in there after I read the directions or at least glanced at them to be accurate. Seveal hours later I took off the lid. Smelled like a ships garbage incenrator. That poor turkey was mummified. You could grab a leg bone and it would just crumble in your hand. The meat, what little was left, was so hard you could not cut it. Like cutting a rock. Only time in my life I ate salmon salad for Christmas dinner.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine goes way back when we bought our first micro wave,you know the novelty years like "WOW that thing boils water and pops corn really fast". Well thought I'd try to make spaghetti substituting the pasta with spaghetti squash instead..figured I'll just nuke that baby in the micro for a few minutes,rake it out,add meatball sauce and bingo a no hassle meal.Well you can nuke spaghetti squash just fine but they morph into a loud yellow bomb if you don't pierce em for venting steam. crazy

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well this one time I burnt down my smoker and nearly my barn and lost a $15 pork roast in the process.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have no stories....my wife on the other hand eek

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The first time I made instant mashed potato's put everything in the kettle without heating the water.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can't recall any disasters with MY cooking, but my first ex wife, trying to follow Mom's recipe for my favorite Oatmeal cookies, cooked the oatmeal first...............

Sam......

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I got a dutch oven for christmas. figured I would use it to cook dinner for me and daughter when camping. NO idea how to cook with it. Put it in the campfire to cook. NO idea about the heat of the fire, length of time to cook.......

I think there was a two inch square of actually good stew surrounded by dried out burnt outer layer.

Roommate in college wanted to cook some sort of Cornish game hen in the oven of ur apartment. This was after coming home from the bar. Turned on oven, put in game hen, moved to couch and passed out. I woke up to the smoke alarm going off. Saw what happened, turned off oven and went back to bed. Next day looked in the oven and there was a charred game hen on a pan. I poked it and my finger went right through it, bones and all were charred

Same roommate, same scenario. Came back from bar and took a frozen burrito out of the freezer. He put it in the microwave and must have set the microwave for four hours. Same smoke detector, same passed out roommate, same turn off oven(this time the microwave), same charred results.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm having a really hard time remembering any cooking disasters on my part. Ex's disasters ... for sure ... there were many.

I do remember throwing a hunk of pot roast in the pan that had one of the black absorbent pads stuck to the bottom (it was hidden) and the smell of frying plastic.

Dat was nasty. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fish head
I'm having a really hard time remembering any cooking disasters on my part. Ex's disasters ... for sure ... there were many.

I do remember throwing a hunk of pot roast in the pan that had one of the black absorbent pads stuck to the bottom (it was hidden) and the smell of frying plastic.

Dat was nasty. grin

you and trh................. eek similar stories

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is what happens when you get a little too wrapped up in Blue Moon's and football. Wing's anyone??

[Linked Image]

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HEY NOW !!! eek laugh

It was one time ... and one time only. I check for hidden pads now.

Although ... a couple weeks ago while frying a steak I whiffed that old familiar smell. I bought a cheap teflon skillet at the grocery store (it was on sale) and got that sucker nice and hot before searing the steak. About the time the steak was sizzlin' I smelled burnt plastic. WTF? cry I noticed that the glue they used to put the handle on was melting and stinkin'.

I guess you get what you pay for. wink

But ... all the glue melted out and no more stinky. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Robster
I got a dutch oven for christmas. figured I would use it to cook dinner for me and daughter when camping. NO idea how to cook with it. Put it in the campfire to cook. NO idea about the heat of the fire, length of time to cook.......

I think there was a two inch square of actually good stew surrounded by dried out burnt outer layer.

Pretty close to results. Went camping and thought I would try to bury the pot and slow cook it while out and about. What started life as a four or five pound pot roast was about four five inches square. Blackend carrots and potatos. Mom salvaged the experiment into some pretty damn good "pot roast" tacos though. smile

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never done the dutch oven thing in a campfire but I have cooked baked potatoes in a campfire and they're really good.

Double wrap them in foil, cover the coals with a layer of dirt, add the taters, more dirt on top, a few more coals, a little more dirt on top of that and in about one hour you have perfect baked taters.

I haven't done it in many years, but in the past, I had it down to a science.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too many coals top and bottom, smoke comeing out of ground three hours later let us know a little too late! Since that experiance, we have done an entire Thanksgiving style dinner camping with a dutch oven or three. Roasted breast, legs, and thighs with carrots and celery criss crossed in the bottom. Mashed taters, gravy, green beans, etc. all done on stove or camp fire. Biscuits and cobbler in dutch ovens. Park ranger checking our fire permit was just shaking his head.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't really call em disasters, but the few I've had usually involve something stuck to the bottom of a pan followed by loud and sometimes foul language.

My X was a different story though.
Pretty sure she thought the smoke detector was actually a timer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep mine's motto was if it is smokin' it's cookin and if it's black it's done..........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eh76
Yep mine's motto was if it is smokin' it's cookin and if it's black it's done..........

I tried that with scrambled eggs ... once. laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
This is what happens when you get a little too wrapped up in Blue Moon's and football. Wing's anyone??

[Linked Image]

Mike

Mike my wife made pork chops like that once..............I don't let her near my grills anymore..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pork charcoal sounds good. smile

Why limit yourself to just wood for the grill?

What about apple or sweet potato charcoals? Sweet ... smoky ... good!

That's a million dollar idea right there. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,175
Posts18,503,209
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.