Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
hbc01 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Ok, so I have the load that I'm going to be shooting out of a TC Icon 6.5 creedmore. With todays super loads, is it possible or should I say worth it to invest in a press and start reloading. I have never reloaded and think I would like it as a hobie. But if I can only match their quality or even worse, mess up a load my accuracy can suffer. Im matching my scope to this load.

http://www.hornady.com/store/6.5-Creedmoor-129-gr-SST-Superformance

I appreciate any advice, but after i build a bench, buy the press and all the toys, I could be in for a grand just to start and find out that todays ammo is just no match.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The quality of todays ammo being what it is, some folks would be hard pressed to come up with superior ammo. But it's a bit more nebulous than that. There is the self satisfation of shooting small targets or gathering game with home-rolled ammo. And, while I don't think you save any money, especially in the short term, you get to shoot ever so much more for the same dollar. This, in turn, is going to make you a better shot. Practice, practice, practice still counts for a lot.
When I first started reloading, I figured out I could reload 100 rounds of 30-06 ammo for the price of a box of 20. I gave my wife that bit of information and closed the books. Over the years, I have bought several rifles with the money I have "saved". smile

Aim for the exit hole.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Depends on how much spare time you have to invest in this hobby/obsession. It can burn a lot of time if you let it.

I started when I was 17 and am hopelessly addicted.

All of the big game I have taken over the years have all been with my own loads and will probably continue to be.

The ability to tailor loads to a particular rifle makes it worth it for me, but I do try some factory stuff to see how it shoots.

If you have not already done so go buy a reloading manual such as the most recent Hornady manual.

Look over the procedures they show in there and that may help you decide.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo is fairly limited. I have run into a few firearms that just didn't like the factory offerings but did phenominally well with hand loads. You don't need to spend a grand on a reloading setup to make great ammo. I would suggest something along these lines.
RCBS Rockchucker Combo $349
Comes with a good press, powder dispenser. scale, lube pad, primer seater, loading block, funnel, misc case prep tools.
Any decent case trimmer $100
Dies $35
Brass, bullets, powder, and primers, your choice.
All you have to do is get or make a bench. I found a 4' banquet table top and build a very solid and level base out of 2x4's.
Cost was minimal.
Even if hand loading for one rifle, it will pay for itself. If loading for multiple rifles, it will pay for itself quickly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If everything is taken into account, i.e. buying new brass then a close guess depending on brand and amount of powder charge.
Average for those rounds new is 30.00 per 20 or about 150.00 per 100.

brass 69 cents ea = 69.00 per 100
SST bullets 26 cents per = 26.00 per 100
Powder charge @ 45 grs per rnd, 13.5 cents per rnd @ 21.00 per pound.
Primer 3 cents
Total = 1.19 per rnd, compared to 1.50. Savings 31 cents per round.

Now the cost of the brass decreases with the number of loadings you get from the case. So over time there is an imagined savings but it is more than eaten up by price increases the next time ya buy brass.
So lets go over a 10 year span with just this to work with:

100 rnds per year: 31.00 a yr for 10 = 310.00
200 rnds a year = 620.00
300 per year = 930.00

So if we consider just this caliber, and no price increases over 10 yrs (Like thats gonna happen) you wouldnt break even on the equipment for 7.5 years @ 200 per. But you should also consider your time.

Plus side would be you would be able to grow as your stable grows. But to think you will save alot, then No you wont, unless you are loading for multiple weapons, and/or shoot thousands of rounds per year as I do, then it makes sense and saves me alot of money.

Swifty

Last edited by Swifty52; 12/09/12.

Swifty
IC B2

hbc01 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I don't believe my main concern is the money, but rather the question of the ability to load a better long range bullet than what is being produced today. You have a good point that there are not many people offering ammo in 6.5 creedmore.

hbc01 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
So, let me ask this question. Can reloading my own help in long range shooting. 6.5 creedmore will reach down to 600 yards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hbc01
So, let me ask this question. Can reloading my own help in long range shooting. 6.5 creedmore will reach down to 600 yards.

Yes is the answer to that.

rather the question of the ability to load a better long range bullet than what is being produced today.

Again yes, as I dont use hornady bullets, as I think there are much better out there. IMO

Swifty

Swifty
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
By loading your own you will definitely open up more options with bullet choices.

For long range work you will then be the master of your own quality control program vs being at the mercy of the manufacturer's quality control in the event they have a run of ammo with issues.

Buy quality dies and add a concentricity guage to make sure your ammo is the straightest you can possibly make it.

Lee

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Your choice of caliber says it all.
Time to start reloading.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Your choice of caliber says it all.
Time to start reloading.

Not necessarily true whatsoever.

If you have never loaded like the OP and have no equipment, Hornady produces fantastic factory ammo. You will be hard pressed to load your own that shoots better. The question is whether you have chosen the rifle that has any capability of accuracy

Hornady produces Creedmoor ammo with the A-Max, SST and I believe another bullet. I shoot the 140 A-Max match ammo in my lightweight hunting Creedmoor

[Linked Image]

Killed an Ibex at 758 yards with the A-Max

Here's some other examples of what Factory Hornady ammo does...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Come on Rick, you know they type of guy that buys a Creedmore.
Weather he knows it or not, he's already been infected with "the bug", so he might as well admit it and start reloading!!

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
how many long range competitors do you know that use store bought ammo? To be competitive at long range (or short range) takes a serious commitment of time. just a small part of it would be the reloading.

Aim for the exit hole.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Just do it. Really and your not looking at a grand to get started. I spent the bulk of my money on the rcbs chargemaster powder dispenser/scale combo. The rest of my stuff is made by lee. Dont let the price tag scare you I have found no faults in the equipment that they make. I just didnt see the need to spend the big money on some of the other kits out there.

If you dont think you will shoot enough to make it worth your time I think you may find yourself shooting more once you start reloading. I went from shooting a box or two total a year to shooting 250 rounds of 30-06 and 300 win in the first 2-3 months after I started reloading.

Last edited by nomad_archer; 12/10/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
how many long range competitors do you know that use store bought ammo? To be competitive at long range (or short range) takes a serious commitment of time. just a small part of it would be the reloading.

This statement is completely WRONGO as well.

The entire reason the 6.5 Creedmoor was created and its loaded ammo, was to provide a long range competition cartridge and ammo that shot well enough THAT HANDLOADING WAS UNCESSARY to be competitve.

You don't think you could compete with ammo that shoots like the pictures I've posted above?

I personally know many competitors that use the factory offering and WIN NATIONAL EVENTS with it.

go here....

http://www.hornady.com/in-the-news/latest-news/match-shooters-success-6-5-creedmoor-2011

http://www.hornady.com/store/6.5-Creedmoor

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6.5 Creed and .308 are THE only 2 carts I'd use if I planned to shoot factory ammo and expect great results. The Federal Gold Medal Match and Blackhills ammo shoot really well in the .308, and like Rick said, Horn makes some OUTSTANDING 6.5 CM loads.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 15 invisible), 1,618 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,570
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.