Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Oregon45
What do the groups look like? Vertical or horizontal stringing, or just plain random? Do the groups start good but open up? Is the rifle predictable for the first, cold bore, shot but then unpredictable for the rest of the string?

Pretty Random. Might get a couple close then the third is inch high inch to the right. Fourth might be inch low inch to the left. I think the ones that do start to look like a group are simply part of the randomness. Usually it is not the first two that group. Might be the 2nd and 5th. I let the barrel cool between shots.

GB1

A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
How well did it shoot with Federal Fusion 95 grain factory ammo?

If you haven't tried it, it will tell you what you can get out of a 243?

Haven't tried the fusions. Shot Remington 100 and Federal blue box 100. Also tried Sierra 85s, Hornady 100s, Nosler 95 BT.

Might try the fusions just for fun.

A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
[/quote]Where at in Or and how much do you want for the poor shooting bastid....Don't worry about that bad mojo stuff if the price is right....Another thing, don't waste your hard earned money on Hill country, especially if you live close enough to me wink [/quote]

I am close to Albany. I can't see myself using Hill Country although I am sure they do quality work. I would hate to perpetuate the bad mojo and burden you with my problem at any price grin

A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I know a guy who had the same rifle/chambering and had the same accuracy issues. He tried everything he could think of-bedding, scopes, mounts, a large variety of bullet/powder combos. IIRC, the only bullet he could get to show any promise was Hornady's 100gr. roundnose.

Were it mine and I had my heart set on keeping it, I'd send it to E. R. Shaw for a new stainless barrel ($240+ $115 for installation).

I have been contemplating this option. Seems like a fair price and I know some of the members speak favorably of ER Shaw to include Mule Deer. I wish I had a bore scope to give the throat a good look. Either way what I have going isn't working.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I know a guy who had the same rifle/chambering and had the same accuracy issues. He tried everything he could think of-bedding, scopes, mounts, a large variety of bullet/powder combos. IIRC, the only bullet he could get to show any promise was Hornady's 100gr. roundnose.

Were it mine and I had my heart set on keeping it, I'd send it to E. R. Shaw for a new stainless barrel ($240+ $115 for installation).

Ouch, lets not get hasty.... whistle...OP, can you show some pics of the rifle, groups. What scope and mount set-up are you running right now? Is it a pushfeed or a classic CRF?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Have you checked the scope for Parallax?

You mentioned the caliber, but never said what model of rifle we are discussing.

If handloading for this, I'd try 95gr Nosler BT and H4831, IMR7828 (cci 200's) , and W760 (mag primer with the ball powder).

If it still didn't shoot, well, it might just be a bad barrel, and could be time to move on.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've got the same rifle also chambered in .243win. It too is finicky about shooting tight groups. I've had it bedded and free floated but that didn't make much difference.

What I have found is it has a certain way it likes to be held wile shooting off the bench. If you just lay it across sandbags or put it in a vise and shoot it, the bullets are going to be all over the paper.
You have to take a firm grip on the fore end with your left hand underneath and not let it touch the actual rest itself. It has fired sub moa groups before using this method, shooting Winchester 100gr. Power Points.

Also, no matter what I've tried it refuses to shoot Winchester 95gr. BSTs into anything resembling a group.

Last edited by justin10mm; 12/09/12.
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
CRF model 70 featherweight blued in a wood stock. It's a New Haven gun. Scope bases and rings are Leupold dual dove tail. First scope I had on there was a Vari X III 2.5-8x36. The scope that is on there right now is a Vortex Viper 3-9x40. I do have a past Target that I will post when I get home.

A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
[Linked Image]

This is the best I have been able to do. I added back a pressure point near the end of the stock and the results were much worse. The 100 grain Hornady and 95 BT were loaded with 41 grains of H4350.

All of these were shot from sandbags off a concrete bench at 100 yds.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by aheider
[Linked Image]

This is the best I have been able to do. I added back a pressure point near the end of the stock and the results were much worse. The 100 grain Hornady and 95 BT were loaded with 41 grains of H4350.

All of these were shot from sandbags off a concrete bench at 100 yds.

Good picture. Shows a lot of horizontal stringing. Typically that points to uneven contact at the forend (one side or another). Bad bedding, did you bed it yourself and did you also bed the tang area? Where are you positioning the bags?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Two things I can think of are, one, how tight is the middle action screw ? It should be only snug, not any tighter than that. Do the front action screw, then the rear and check the middle one.
Second, if you are sure the scopes are good, then I'd look at first the barrel crown, and then the rifle's chamber.
Just for the record, I've hunted throphy deer with ammo that wouldn't shoot better than 2.5 inches with my M70 Fwt., .308. That's because of the bullet I insisted on using. However, it will shoot from .5-.8 for three at 100 yds. with ammo it likes. As rule, an inch or so for three should be quite possible. E

A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Yep bedded it myself. I am 99% I bedded the tang but I will have to pull it apart to make sure. I usually do. I have a rear "rabbit ear" style leather bag and a couple large bags I use up front. Usually place the front bag about mid way up the forearm behind the sling stud.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What's the condition of the rifle? Do you have any pics of it?

BSA MAGA
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Middle screw is barely snug and the magazine box is not tight.

A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
What's the condition of the rifle? Do you have any pics of it?

It is 97% looks great. Hardly any exterior wear at all. I have not idea how many rounds down the pipe before I got it. I can take pictures for you but it likes like a model 70 featherweight in really nice shape. Anything specific you want to see?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Price tag grin

BSA MAGA
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
There is that blush

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
150 miles separates....

BSA MAGA
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I am a model 70 guy and usually have really good luck. I am apt to rebarrel and march on before I sell.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by aheider
I am a model 70 guy and usually have really good luck. I am apt to rebarrel and march on before I sell.

Good man, that's what I like to hear. Do you have any pics of your bedding and is it bedded tight? How much compound is under the chamber area?

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,584
Posts18,510,986
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.